WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

2 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

but won't TFA numbers still be high enough for it to benefit from MLK and President's day? be hopeful, guys

That's true, this could technically being its biggest drop for the rest of it's run, if it gets it's footing back next weekend I'd say it still has a fair shot at $1b. 

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I was just answering a question :o

Welcome to the Domestic Box office discussion forum. If you wish to continue to discuss Avatar's World Wide gross, please continue your discussion in the international forum or perhaps even in the Avatar 2 thread. Do me that favor. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I think he's going places. Got a goodie, everyman quality to him

He is amazing. and he played in TFA, The Revenant and Ex Machina all this year! not to mention Brooklyn which I have yet to see.. holy shit everyone of those films could be getting nominated for BP this year. :wacko:

Edited by Kalo

Pretty much expected for TFA, 50m was a bit of a dream I'm afraid. But that Revenant number...wow. I was thinking 30+(If a similar film with Liam Neeson could do near 20, surely Leo could do better), but I never thought it would do half that on its first wide day. Leo's still a star. :)

I just wish I would have stuck to my guns on Revenant in the Derby, I low balled it at the last second. Drat and double drat.

image.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

11=68% drop from last fri

12=65% drop from last fri

Guys if $1b is off the table now what are we gunning for, s the run over for us now?

Passing Titanic worldwide.

The shortfall in DOM is likely to be compensated with China breaking out.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

That doesn't answer my ? but thanks for being a broken record.

Huh, why did you reply to my same post twice?

5 minutes ago, #ED said:

Welcome to the Domestic Box office discussion forum. If you wish to continue to discuss Avatar's World Wide gross, please continue your discussion in the international forum or perhaps even in the Avatar 2 thread. Do me that favor. 

ok, I'm not doing it for you though :>

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The next 3 top domestics are all within 110m of a each other.  950-960 would make SW the champ by about 200m.  Records completely smashed, works for me. :lol:

Interesting point of comparison:

When Titanic set the record by 140m (over Star Wars), that represented 23% of its total gross. The next three had a 103m gap.

Avatar's 160m increase over Titanic is about 21% of its total. The next three had a 140m gap.

If TFA gets to 960m, the margin over Avatar will be a similar 21%. 

All three are in pretty close proximity, there. Hmm...

Alternative consideration:

The 140m gap Titanic had subtracted from the 2nd place film drops you down to 320m, of which four other films had crossed (Star Wars, ET, JP, Forrest Gump, which was amazingly the third biggest film of all time at one point. The Lion King is about 8m behind that threshold.)

Subtract Avatar's 160m bump from Titanic, and you've got 440m, which also covered four films (Titanic, TDK, Star Wars, Shrek 2. ET, post-re-release was 5m behind.)

TFA's hypothetical 200m bump from Avatar subtracted the same way gives you 560m. Which, yeah, covers four films (Avatar, Titanic, JW, TA1.) And TDK is sitting 25m short.

Okay, that's tremendously non-conclusive. 

• Like 3

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Huh, why did you reply to my same post twice?

ok, I'm not doing it for you though :>

I asked whether this was going to be the largest weekend post holidays, that includes The Revenant TFA & everything else. Again, should have been more specific. I'm talking years not individual films.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

For those chiding people for being disappointed in anything related to TFA, enough. If someone wants to be that's their right no matter how big the 4th weekend is/how much you disagree. 

This movie has kind of been a disappointment every step of the way if we're being honest. It couldn't hit $150 million OD. Couldn't crack $300 million OW. Couldn't beat Iron Man 3's opening weekend in it's 2nd weekend or Jurassic World's 2nd weekend in it's 3rd! Only 7 days over $40 million?!? What a turd!!

Now it can't even manage to beat Titanic's adjusted domestic total or make as much worldwide as Disney spent on Lucasfilm! I suggest cancelling the franchise and rebooting John Carter Goes to Mars....

:ohmyzod:

• Like 1

Just now, VenomXXR said:

This movie has kind of been a disappointment every step of the way if we're being honest. It couldn't hit $150 million OD. Couldn't crack $300 million OW. Couldn't beat Iron Man 3's opening weekend in it's 2nd weekend or Jurassic World's 2nd weekend in it's 3rd! Only 7 days over $40 million?!? What a turd!!

Now it can't even manage to beat Titanic's adjusted domestic total or make as much worldwide as Disney spent on Lucasfilm! I suggest cancelling the franchise and rebooting John Carter Goes to Mars....

:ohmyzod:

Lol this is exactly what I mean Venom but carry on.