WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Damn you Leo for being so bankable!!! You know TFA could have pulled at least 3m more if it didn't have any competition this week. 

Leo killed 1 billion! I am tearing down my shrine. 

FUCK YOU LEO!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

i wasn't trying to proof [sic] anything.  i just asked a question of which i didn't know the answer, except that in recent times, even as far back as 1997 apparently, it has been extremely rare. maybe 2 or 3 movies out of thousands besides Cameron's films of course. i did sort of give props to MBFGW comparing it to Titanic.  having said that, MBGFW is not a comparable movie to TFA.  no one will call TFA a sleeper hit that never hit number 1.  MBGFW also only made about 1% of its box office in first 17 days, not about 80%. which is probably closer to the point i was originally making. $200 million is hard to make period, let alone after making the vast majority of your box office.  if anything, TFA will probably mirror The Avengers or JW's post third weekend runs. meaning, possibly if not probably around or even less than $100 million more.  if $10.7 million for Friday is correct, then a sub $30 million weekend isn't off the table yet either. 

It did not sound like an intentionless question to me, especially not as it got additional text in the same post...

logically $200m after the 3rd weekend can only be surprise hits, or very big hits nowadays as well as in the past, or...

See inflation,.... IMHO your question does in that $200m limit (or even a limitation to $170m) not make that much sense to me, as too few even reach potential hits, see the nowadays typical patterns. In addition the winter pattern differs from summer, I wouldn't even compare it to those runs.

A better one IMHO maght have been %, but as too many things like holidays, solo-runs or triple  releases of blockbusters at the time,... way to simplyfied IMHO

I think nearly all here are aware about the most movies do not make that much after the 3rd weekend, especially long awaited typical block-buster material. That's the fun of thos run, no one knows for sure, a lot is possible, far too few really compareable runs (release date included) are even exisitng to develop something 'sure'

48 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

We have 2 openers overperforming, don't we?

I assume most revenant people are a different demo than the core SW7 audience.  

eg i have seen big short and revenant but will not go to SW7. Same goes for others I know.

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Damn you Leo for being so bankable!!! You know TFA could have pulled at least 3m more if it didn't have any competition this week. 

Leo killed 1 billion! I am tearing down my shrine. 

Maybe they should get Leo as villain for VIII?

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And in the the end, twas not the Titanic that sunk Star Wars:

It was Leonardo DiCaprio. 

Now SW7 won't be able to beat Titanic WW....... Leo fucked SW7 up pretty good, huh??

Seriously though, TFA is actually following its pattern that it has every weekend compared to Avatar. It has around 70% as good of a Friday jump as Avatar's. It then proceeds to have nearly the same Sat hold and a slightly worse Sun hold. So 10.7m puts it on track for 39-40 if it follows the pattern it has been.