WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm kinda hoping the Academy trolls us all with a Mad Max shut-out and a SURPRISE nomination like The Danish Girl.

I hope this doesn't happen but at the same time I hope it happens. The reactions all around the Internet would be glorious. 

Of course the chance is always there for a film like MM to get snubbed, no matter how much momentum its built. 3 months ago if you would have told me it would be considered a lock for a BP and BD nom going into the nominations, I would have said you're nuts. It's downright amazing it has even come this close. If it got snubbed for like The Danish Girl though...:sick::sick::sick:

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Then again, they seem to have some weird obsession with Hooper that runs in the same vein as their Daldry fixation. Shit, now you guys have me worried. :unsure:

Don't worry, The Danish Girl won't get shit besides an acting nom for Redmayne. 

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Don't worry, The Danish Girl won't get shit besides an acting nom for Redmayne. 

Vikander (who might be a bigger lock than Redmayne) and I guess Costumes are also in the running too. But the movie really doesn't deserve anything.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rustyspoons89 said:

Avatar and Star Wars follow the same "swoop" at the same day. That's amazing.

from here on I see it leveling out.

next week flat again, than a 'swoop' up again, as the next weekend is a 4day weekend = MLK

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:
Spoiler

let us compare JW and SW7(final projection estimate) to see any chance for SW7 to beat titanic
            JW      SW7      different
US      652m    950m    +300m
UK      100m     200m   +100m
Jpan    75m     100m     +25m
Germ   50m     100m     +50m
Fran    40m      90m      +50m
Italy    16m      26m      +10m
Spain   25m      35m      +10m
Aus      38m      68m      +30m
Russia  25m      26m       ==
Brazil   28m      26m       ==
Mexico  44m     ~30m      -15m
Argen    15m     7m        -8m
Vene     28m      16m      -12m
India     26m      6m       -20m
China    228m    158m    -70m
Taiwan  26m      6m       -20m
SK         43m     28m      -15m
Final     1670m               +415m

Several estimates are either too high (like China, way too high) or too low or already too low as the actual is higher than you wrote (Italy). I set spoiler so it will not be so big.

SK exchange rate went down a bit = KOBIZ adjusts those daily too = I think that one is a bit too high too, several seem off e.g.: why should Germany only be good for additional under 10%, but UK for that much more?

edit: exchange for the BO.com details, those are more accurat

Among holdovers, the UK/Ireland still leads the way with an estimated total of $161.4 million and the film passed Skyfall on Friday to become the highest grossing movie ever there. Other top markets include Germany ($94.7M), France ($76.6M), Japan ($65.5M), Australia ($57.6M), Spain ($31.6M), Italy ($27.2M), Mexico ($26.2M), Russia ($25.3M), Brazil ($24.6M), and South Korea ($23.8M).

I know you want Titanic to stay ahead ww... why not wait at least a few days after the next weekend or 2 weeks, than the back to school patterns and China, and... should be far more clear.

Are you aware about SW 7 having an own thread in the international area - for international details, reports,...?

I think there you should find people per country that might give you insight on how much to still expect?

Edited by terrestrial

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wow, really? Not arguing, but how do we know that? 

Actually the WOM isn't really that bad. It is not too good though. On most major sites its score have been below par and close to Spectre's which had a very bad multi. On sites where FF7 and Transformers have an avg score of ~9.5, TFA has 7.5ish. Its saturday-sunday drop was somewhat big too. This could also mean that the big opening might be the result of heavy marketing and the limited fanbase rushing out early. Of course the Monday drop would tell a lot. As fr AOU and JW comparisons, AOU opened on a tuesday so its not really comparable, and its first saturday was still bigger than TFA's. JW didn't really open big but it was a WOM monster, a rare example of really good holds (or even at all good holds) in China. Plus its got some light competition next week and KFP3 is opening in its fourth weekend which would essentially end its run, so it actually has just 3 weeks really to make its money. As I said though, Monday drop will tell a lot. Right now, barring collapse or data-defying good WOM, the range is between 130-170m

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

And Vikander if it's not for Ex Machina.

Just now, filmlover said:

Vikander (who might be a bigger lock than Redmayne) and I guess Costumes are also in the running too. But the movie really doesn't deserve anything.

Oh yeah, Vikander is also getting in, probably for both of those. And I forgot about Costumes, it is getting one as well. 

My queen JLaw is not gonna get nominated :( I am so sad but it is pretty obvious at this point she is not getting in. 

no matter what either way Star Wars is still making money and is being #1 for 4 consecutive weeks(which isn't always easy) it has potential at making 920 million domestic. The Revenant is off to an impressive start with 38 million, if it holds up well the next coming up weeks it should end its run with at least 125 million and then enjoy some good results overseas maybe in the long run. Daddy's Home still doing decent and should make its way to 150 million. The Forest is off to a decent start but will probably disappear soon in the next few weeks and a total close to 25 million. Sisters still shining on the top five the film should get its way close to 90 million. As for The Hateful Eighf the film took a big decline this weekend considering mixed WOM the film will make 55 million total which is weak in comparison to Django Unchained. But on the other side, The Big Short is still holding strong and should make at least 70 million by the end of its run.