baumer

Baumer's Top 50 of 2015 5) Creed 4) Jurassic World 3) Trumbo 2) It Follows...number one on pg 13

10 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Why do people get so shocked when some have a different opinion than they do?  Have you seen Love the Coopers?  My guess is probably not, and if you haven't how can you say if it's good or not?

I have to say.  I don't expect that Id like the movie, but it would be very unfair of me to criticize it unless I saw it.  Especially since there's plenty of movies I've gone in expecting to dislike or even hate and ended up really enjoying them. (The Peanuts Movie was the big one this year, I was getting a gut feeling they would butcher Schultz and they payed great homage to him)

• Like 1

I love the cast of Love the Coopers and even I couldn't be paid to watch the movie after sitting through the previews. Sorry.

Meanwhile, the only 2015 movie that I haven't seen yet that I "need" to see is Carol (which is likely going to be next weekend) so I'll name my choices for the best of the year (movies, performances, etc.) after I've done so.

Hamill's done loads of voice-over and cartoon roles, aside from The Joker. In fact he originally retired from live-action acting in 2004 (thanks heavens, he changed his mind eventually, though).

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

I love the cast of Love the Coopers and even I couldn't be paid to watch the movie after sitting through the previews. Sorry.

Meanwhile, the only 2015 movie that I haven't seen yet that I "need" to see is Carol (which is likely going to be next weekend) so I'll name my choices for the best of the year (movies, performances, etc.) after I've done so.

So you haven't seen it and you are convinced it's awful because of the trailer?

3 hours ago, Baumer said:

So you haven't seen it and you are convinced it's awful because of the trailer?

I don't know if the movie's awful itself. When the previews can't make a film look even remotely appealing in 2 1/2 minutes, it's safe to assume the next 117 1/2 aren't much better. Hence, I'm not going to waste my time to find out.

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Thats not true at all and imo you are missing out on a lot of terrific films.

Yes, I'm sure I really missed out on Mortdecai and Unfinished Business and Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2. Movies that were so funny that they couldn't find a single laugh to stick in their marketing. No thanks. Life is too short.

I would just like to say that my favorite film of the year was a film was a sequel to a film I thought was merely okay. I was unimpressed with the trailer and I was probably just gonna rent it but I ended up seeing because it was double feature with Jurassic World at the drive in.

• Like 1

Playing_card_club_5.svg

Creed:  Your legacy is more than a name

Rocky has been a part of me since I was about 10.  I saw Rocky III in the theaters as my first Rocky film.  I had already seen the other two of course, but it was my first time in theaters.  It was magical.  Then I remember seeing Rocky IV with my mom in Indiana over the holidays.  When Rocky first cuts Drago, my mom yelled and screamed at the movie screen, along with the rest of the theater.  Sylvester Stallone created one of the greatest characters in film history imo and he has stuck with me ever since.  I thought Rocky Balboa was one of the five best films of 2006 and if I had it my way, it would have taken home a lot of Oscar gold.  Now here we are 9 years later and when it was first announced that Creed would be about Apollo's son, I didn't know what to think.  I thought Rocky Balboa was a great way to kind of end the series.  So I had my trepidation about Creed.  Thankfully my fears or my at least my concerns were completely put to rest when I first sat down to watch it in theaters.  Director and writer Ryan Coogler has taken this film in a direction that I didn't think possible.  This is a seventh film, how fresh can you make a movie after this long?  Turns out you can do a lot.  You just have to respect the material.  Coogler said he loved Rocky growing up and he wrote a script that did Rocky right.  His focus was obviously more the Creed character but as we all know by now, Stallone gave maybe his best performance of his career and that is saying something.  More on Coogler in a minute.

Carrying this film is one of the best young actors, Michael B. Jordan.  He embodies the spirit of Apollo Creed and yet is his own person.  When Jordan is on screen, you pay attention.  He is intense and very believable in his role.  I was disappointed he didn't get recognized by the academy this year but this is a seventh film and they don't usually bestow any kind of attention on sequels, let alone sixth sequels.  But Jordan is every bit as good as DiCaprio and Cranston and the rest.

Coogler gave Stallone a lot to work with, but he also wisely listened to Stallone and allowed him to make a few changes.  And why wouldn't he?  This is the man who created Balboa, cultivated him and perfected him.  Maybe a lesser director tries to impose his will and doesn't let Sly do his thing.  Coogler told Sly what he wanted, expressed his vision and then he let Stallone do the rest.  This is an outstanding film and easily one of the best of the year.  

Trivia:  At the time of filming, Stallone was the same age as Burgess Meredith was when he made the first Rocky (69)

rocky-7-spinoff-creed-apollo-1024x680.jp

• Like 8