Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Just go with Spotlight or The Revenant. It's the smart choice. ;)Those two are clearly ahead of everything else.

I would love to know why Spotlight keeps being brought up as clearly ahead though? You can essentially say Room or Brooklyn are all just as "clearly ahead" as Spotlight. All are small critically lauded flicks that have racked up a lot of nominations this awards season, but no real wins yet. I don't see why Spotlight would be strongly at the front, at least not yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I would love to know why Spotlight keeps being brought up as clearly ahead though? You can essentially say Room or Brooklyn are all just as "clearly ahead" as Spotlight. All are small critically lauded flicks that have racked up a lot of nominations this awards season, but no real wins yet. I don't see why Spotlight would be strongly at the front, at least not yet. 

Well, you keep saying The Big Short is ahead of everything else, when there's nothing that suggests it is (unless it wins at SAG, but that's likely to go to Spotlight instead). Like, if you're going to use "it's up the Academy's ally" as your argument, then you might as well say Bridge of Spies is the other frontrunner.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, you keep saying The Big Short is ahead of everything else, when there's nothing that suggests it is (unless it wins at SAG, but that's likely to go to Spotlight instead). Like, if you're going to use "it's up the Academy's ally" as your argument, then you might as well say Bridge of Spies is the other frontrunner.

That's my point though. There is no clear frontrunner this year yet, so I am basically going with what I think the Academy will go for. Does that make it the frontrunner in reality? No, but I think it's basically as valid as what someone else's instincts are saying will win BP at this point. One thing about TBS and Spotlight is they are the only BP ones with a screenplay, acting, editing, and director nom. So I suppose both are good choices for a frontrunner at this point. The reason I'd still give TBS the edge would be because I don't think McCarthy has any chance to win director and McKay's direction definitely stood out and could gather a lot of fans. TBS also has  a better shot at winning editing than Spotlight imo. I feel like if Spotlight wins BP, screenplay could be its only other win which would be very unusual. 

Edited by MovieMan89

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's my point though. There is no clear frontrunner this year yet, so I am basically going with what I think the Academy will go for. Does that make it the frontrunner in reality? No, but I think it's basically as valid as what someone else's instincts are saying will win BP at this point. One thing about TBS and Spotlight is they are the only BP ones with a screenplay, acting, editing, and director nom. So I suppose both are good choices for a frontrunner at this point. The reason I'd still give TBS the edge would be because I don't think McCarthy has any chance to win director and McKay's direction definitely stood out and could gather a lot of fans. TBS also has  a better shot at winning editing than Spotlight imo. I feel like if Spotlight wins BP, screenplay could be its only other win which would be very unusual. 

Rachel McAdams could pull a surprise in Supporting. She's the only nominee in that category whose film is up for Best Picture.

The Big Short is more likely to be The Wolf of Wall Street 2.0 and win nothing than win Best Picture (or Best Director, for that matter).

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

Rachel McAdams could pull a surprise in Supporting. She's the only nominee in that category whose film is up for Best Picture.

Possible I guess, given Mara and Vikander are both such strong front-runners in that category we could get one of those vote splits leading to a dark horse contender win. Though Winslet would still probably be more likely. 

Finally checked-my best was adapted screenplay as I got all 5 right. (Almost got a few other ones, actor and actress were 2 I would of had all 5 right if I didn't change Cranston to Carell and Lawrence to Blunt towards the end)
Song was my worse-only got Spectre and Youth.

Yeah I do agree, but one thing is that its the only nomination for Creed and the only nominee in that cat that is not nominated for picture as well.

S. actress I have Leigh winning, though I can see Rooney or McAdams winning.

Actress, I have Larson, though part of me wouldn't be surprise if Ronan wins.

Actor, I have DiCaprio in last lol, okay really, he is in first.

I have Revenant and Hateful 8 with 3 wins each.
Mad Max, Martian and Spotlight I have with 2 wins each meanwhile.

Big Short, Cinderella, Creed, Inside Out, Room, Son of Saul, Spectre and Star Wars with one win each.

I don't see Leigh winning at all. She's really in the background of the movie for most of it until the end. I could see any of the others winning though (just don't want to see Vikander winning for that movie lol). I think I'll be seeing Carol next weekend, it's the last major nominee (that isn't up for Picture) I have yet to see.

Edited by filmlover