Impact

Best Picture predictions-2016!

23 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

that hugo as a "noble failure" idea just sounds like a you thing.

I like the movie, I meant it more as a financial "noble failure'. Hollywood obviously loved it and the way it paid tribute to cinema's early days, but the industry almost never forgives such big scale financial flops. They made an exception for Hugo in an "even if it tanked, it was worth it" kind of way, but it was never winning the big awards. If it wasn't the Artist it would be something else that didn't cost 170m and then fell flat on its face at the box office. 

On 3/14/2016 at 9:02 PM, filmlover said:

Toy Story 3 and Up were in years where there was a 1-10 voting system, plus those were widely hailed as being the absolute best of cinema, period. As great as Zootopia is, it's level of praise doesn't reach the otherworldly level that those films did.

It might not make it more likely, seeing how Inside Out was snubbed, but Zootopia passed Up and Toy Story 3 on Rotten Tomatoes' list!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/

10 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I have no idea what their algorithm is for that list, but I only pay attention to the average rating and Zootopia's is still less than both of theirs

Sent from my Z667T using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know that. Sill, it's higher on the list for some reason.

And Zootopia is my favorite animated feature anyways, so even if it gets 10 negative reviews in a row, I'll be fine.

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The competition will knock on wood just be too stiff later this year. Dory and Moana are both aiming for critical hosannas too and are more likely to get a token animation slot if there is one

Sent from my Z667T using Tapatalk

Uh, what? Zootopia is a pretty tough act to follow in terms of Rotten Tomatoes ranking. Even if you're hyped for those two movies, you have to admit that.

Uh, what? Zootopia is a pretty tough act to follow in terms of Rotten Tomatoes ranking. Even if you're hyped for those two movies, you have to admit that.

Yeah, but Finding Nemo level reviews would mean overcoming it. Shaun the Sheep actually had a similar reception to Zootopia last year but was still completely overshadowed by Inside Out

12 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeah, but Finding Nemo level reviews would mean overcoming it. Shaun the Sheep actually had a similar reception to Zootopia last year but was still completely overshadowed by Inside Out

The exact same Finding Nemo level reviews would mean that it's behind Zootopia on the list lol.

What are you all arguing over? Zootopia isn't getting nominated for Best Picture and that's that that. Get over it and move on. lol.

I agree, but it's more satisfying to back that assertion up with facts than to just say "get over it"

I loved the film but I have no illusions of the academy paying attention to it next January. And yes, I do want Dory to live up to my hype too which would in all likelihood mean it's a bigger box office hit and will be fresher in their minds, regardless of what that "ranking" says

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

What are you all arguing over? Zootopia isn't getting nominated for Best Picture and that's that that. Get over it and move on. lol.

Well, it's not like any other movie topping the box office right now is getting a nomination.

And I do think there's a possibility for Zootopia. You can't say it's impossible.

10 hours ago, cannastop said:

Well, it's not like any other movie topping the box office right now is getting a nomination.

And I do think there's a possibility for Zootopia. You can't say it's impossible.

Ten best-reviewed wide releases of the past year:

Inside Out

Spotlight

Mad Max: Fury Road

Brooklyn

Carol

Room

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Shaun the Sheep

Zootopia

Sicario

Zootopia would be just on the fringe of a ten-film pool if the Academy went strictly by reviews, and we all know animated movies have a tougher time getting in anyway.

I would suggest you be content with the movie being a big hit and enjoyed by pretty much everyone who's seen it rather than build up nonexistent hopes of a Best Picture nomination, especially coming off Inside Out's snub

Edited by tribefan695

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Eleven best-reviewed wide releases of the past year:

Inside Out

Spotlight

Mad Max: Fury Road

Brooklyn

Carol

Room

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Shaun the Sheep

Zootopia

Zootopia would be just on the fringe of a ten-film pool if the Academy went strictly by reviews, and we all know animated movies have a tougher time getting in anyway.

I would suggest you be content with the movie being a big hit and enjoyed by pretty much everyone who's seen it rather than build up nonexistent hopes of a Best Picture nomination, especially coming off Inside Out's snub

Hey, I'm just keeping it up because people are saying that it's literally impossible. I don't like that type of hyperbole.

I'm also guessing you manually searched for a bunch of movies that have a higher average review score, even though on rt's automated list, only Inside Out is higher.

Okay, I was trying to be nice and ignore it before but I really don't care one iota about RT's automated ranking, and no one else on here has until you. The average rating is the only thing that matters. Especially with an animated movie you need a lot of 5/5s, not the 4/5s most have been giving Zootopia.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Okay, I was trying to be nice and ignore it before but I really don't care one iota about RT's automated ranking, and no one else on here has until you. The average rating is the only thing that matters. Especially with an animated movie you need a lot of 5/5s, not the 4/5s most have been giving Zootopia.

You know, now that I think about it, the chances that Zootopia gets a best picture nomination is about the same as BvS making $70 million this weekend. It's technically plausible, but laughable to suggest.

Edited by cannastop