Billy Lynn

Birth of a Nation

Fences

La La Land
Loving

Silence

Sully
20th Century Women

Other then The Founder, not sure if there are any major films that Harvey might try to put in.

Arrival

Billy Lynn

Birth of a Nation

Fences

La La Land

Live by Night (assuming it gets a platform release in December)

Manchester by the Sea

Silence

If LBN isn't eligible I think we're going to be down to 7 nominees, nothing else really strikes me as something the Academy will nominate for Best Picture. MAYBE Nocturnal Animals.

I've decided to make a new prediction list. I'm only putting down eight, like last time.

Arrival

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

Birth of a Nation

La La Land

Loving

Manchester by the Sea

Moonlight

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

(That trailer last night... I think we might have an Oscar contender!)

^idk, look past the "totally epic" music and admittedly rad visuals and it seems like a pretty typical underdogs on a mission deal. bet it's a fine, fun, but forgettable action picture. willing to say it gets less awards talk than force awakens even did.

Now that Nate Parker is out :

If at least 2 of the big Four (La La Land, Silence, Billy Lynn, Fences) somehow disappoints, the year could become dire and they would have to nominate Captain America : Civil War, I guess.

Go Kevin.

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

If at least 2 of the big Four (La La Land, Silence, Billy Lynn, Fences) somehow disappoints, the year could become dire and they would have to nominate Captain America : Civil War, I guess.

Go Kevin.

Nice try, but no comic book movie has ever been nominated for best picture, and the first one is not going to be Cap 3.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RichWS said:

In what way?

The contenders don't look too amazing so far, but I've been wrong plenty of times before. And with TIFF/Telluride on the horizon, we can discover the heavy hitters soon.

However, this could actually be pretty solid in that it allows for stronger, more under the radar indies to sneak in and go big. Could be an interesting oscar year for sure.

On 8/23/2016 at 10:56 AM, filmlover said:

I think the controversy has all but killed Birth of a Nation's chances at a Best Picture nomination.

Good reviews at TIFF could save it, but it would need reviews on the level of 12YAS just to get a nomination, honestly. Moonlight could also steal its thunder.

On 8/21/2016 at 2:14 AM, The Futurist said:

Go Kevin.

Civil War has no chance

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia