efialtes76

Weekend revised estimates and 4 days totals pg 43 4 day est: RA2: 41.6: The Rev: 39.0... SW7: 32.5

Edited by A District 3 Engineer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TFA appeals to everyone, and Revenant broke out huge with the GA to do what it's doing. So any argument that it had no effect on TFA's legs this month is extremely laughable. 

not saying it had zero effect... But the grosses of the other movies combined is not much different from 2009. How much of an impact could The Revenant have cause in just two weekends? How much more would TFA have grossed without revenant through the last 10 days? not much more i guess

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Avatar fanboys really are starting to get on my nerves. You lay out the facts, and they still choose to ignore them. Kal's influence is rubbing off way too much here. 

Ever since I put the obnoxiously trolly ones on my ignore list (like Jimbo) the forums have been a pleasantly quiet place.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

But you do realize though that the 7 new releases against TFA grossed more through the New Year than the 3 new releases against Avatar did right? Doesn't matter that there were more of them, they provided an even bigger threat in gross than Avatar's competition.

There was more than 3 new releases against Avatar, they grossed about $395m through the new year weekend. The 7 new releases against TFA grossed about $340m.

20 hours ago, hw64 said:

TFA doesn't even compare to Avatar's ticket sales, let alone Titanic's. In Europe:

http://www.boxofficestory.com/news-cinema-c25607670

With Titanic i really started to be mad about box office, years prior i only had access to monthly box office across a spanish movie magazine.

In Fnac, a big retailer in the centre of Madrid, i discovered Variety and it was just in the magical 1998, when Titanic made history. i went every sunday to read the magazine there and to see the weekly earnings of Titanic, i started when the movie was about 400 million, and it was really exciting for me.

Years after i discovered BOM and other sources with internet, but here started everything.

i still keep as a jewel a couple of number of Variety of that time, i want to share with you my treasure. Sorry for the quality of the pictures, but this is history!

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/belchite/library/variety?sort=3&page=1

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

There was more than 3 new releases against Avatar, they grossed about $395m through the new year weekend. The 7 new releases against TFA grossed about $340m.

Fine, looks like I did forget about Did You Hear About the Morgans. Adding it in brings the total to $377m through NY weekend, opposed to the $340 for the 7 new ones against TFA. Or if you added in the expanding Nine, then we better add in the expanding Big Short as well. Now it's$390 for Avatar's competition vs $370m for TFA. So you really gonna stick by it being any real difference in competition level? Sorry, but it wasn't. 

• Like 5

Ugh, can people stop comparing Star Wars run to Avatar in the weekend thread?  It's obvious now that their runs are completely different.  

Heck, there isn't a comparable run to Star Wars, because no movie has made close to this much money period.  Let alone, this much money this quickly.  

Avatar was a slower and leggy run.  It's demand was burned off slower and so it didn't reach a cap where demand had been reached until late in its run.

Star Wars was blowing off tons of demand in its first two weeks.  It's been said a lot, but there's only so high any movie can go before the market is saturated.  Could Revenant had effected it?  Sure.  But there's no reason to believe a movie already the #1 movie of all time by large margin is going to behave like a leggy beast.

At this point, pretty much everyone who was going to see Star Wars saw it already, and that's showing by the decent sized (but not even big by any means) drops.

Anyways, just enjoy the fact a sequel in December managed to do the amazing feat that it did.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

Ugh, can people stop comparing Star Wars run to Avatar in the weekend thread?  It's obvious now that their runs are completely different.  

Heck, there isn't a comparable run to Star Wars, because no movie has made close to this much money period.  Let alone, this much money this quickly.  

Avatar was a slower and leggy run.  It's demand was burned off slower and so it didn't reach a cap where demand had been reached until late in its run.

Star Wars was blowing off tons of demand in its first two weeks.  It's been said a lot, but there's only so high any movie can go before the market is saturated.  Could Revenant had effected it?  Sure.  But there's no reason to believe a movie already the #1 movie of all time by large margin is going to behave like a leggy beast.

At this point, pretty much everyone who was going to see Star Wars saw it already, and that's showing by the decent sized (but not even big by any means) drops.

Anyways, just enjoy the fact a sequel in December managed to do the amazing feat that it did.

Great post, I just get aggravated that you can't bring up the fact that TFA is having a way more competitive January than Avatar did, without some people jumping down your throat that TFA "had it easy" for competition in December. That's just not true. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Fine, looks like I did forget about Did You Hear About the Morgans. Adding it in brings the total to $377m through NY weekend, opposed to the $340 for the 7 new ones against TFA. Or if you added in the expanding Nine, then we better add in the expanding Big Short as well. Now it's$390 for Avatar's competition vs $370m for TFA. So you really gonna stick by it being any real difference in competition level? Sorry, but it wasn't. 

How about The Blind Side or Up in the Air that were still going strong during the 2nd half of December? If we exclude the new releases TFA had pretty much nothing to contend with.

Anyway, you claimed Avatar had less competition in December. You were... lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Great post, I just get aggravated that you can't bring up the fact that TFA is having a way more competitive January than Avatar did, without some people jumping down your throat that TFA "had it easy" for competition in December. That's just not true. 

The topic of WW gross is also tiresome, and doesn't belong here.  Avatar fan boys just can't get over the fact that TFA is having an historic run on its own merits. 

Edited by LinksterAC

9 minutes ago, Elessar said:

How about The Blind Side or Up in the Air that were still going strong during the 2nd half of December? If we exclude the new releases TFA had pretty much nothing to contend with.

Anyway, you claimed Avatar had less competition in December. You were... 

thats what i thought, blind side and Up in the air combined add to another 100m through the NY

Edited by JohnnY

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, there's definitely most competition.  But in the end, I just think the films have a different core structure in their runs (and it makes sense).  TFA was pretty much advertised as THE Holiday season movie.  It was advertised as, "Instead of counting down for Christmas this year, you're counting down for Star Wars!"

Of course it was going to make the majority of its money over the Holiday season, unlike a film like Avatar.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Anyway, you claimed Avatar had less competition in December. You were... lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

TFA sucked the wind out of the entire market place for over a month before launch. Also Avatar was a different beast it was must see in 3D and 3D screens were much more limited, this left more room for 2D movies to thrive because people were waiting to see Avatar in 3D. So people went to see Sherlock and Alvin. 

• Like 2

Just now, The Panda said:

Yeah, there's definitely most competition.  But in the end, I just think the films have a different core structure in their runs (and it makes sense).  TFA was pretty much advertised as THE Holiday season movie.  It was advertised as, "Instead of counting down for Christmas this year, you're counting down for Star Wars!"

Of course it was going to make the majority of its money over the Holiday season, unlike a film like Avatar.

I totally agree, I just don't think it's wrong to say holds could be lighter with a barren January. Would they be Avatar level holds? Absolutely not. Definitely think we could have gotten a ROTK level hold this weekend though without 2 new releases grossing 50m+ for the weekend and a holdover doing 30. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, philippe08 said:

$ 4.7 the cinema ticket in 1997.

$ 10 today.

4.7 dollars in 1997 = 6.8 Dollars in 2015

Its much more expensive to go to a movie than it was in 1997. Ticket prices have increased more than 2X as fast as the rate of inflation. 

If you know anything about economics I should not have to explain why this is important. 

• Like 6

TFA appeals to everyone, and Revenant broke out huge with the GA to do what it's doing. So any argument that it had no effect on TFA's legs this month is extremely laughable. 

Come on, man. Every movie has some sort of competition to deal with. If it weren't The Revenant it would've been something else.

This reminds me back in summer how some complained that Jurassic World and Inside Out would've done much better if they didn't open next to each other