40 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I don't know anyone who actually likes Babadook except the people on here.  What a horrible piece of shit that was.

That's weird because I have the same feeling about IF, every comment that I read about this movie out of the forums is saying that it was a complete shit, lol 

11 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

A date? Tell me more 

not much to tell.  I had the free tickets so after my one friend couldn't go, I decided to use that ticket to ask this one girl out.  It went well, she definitely is into me, but we shall see where it goes.

7 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

It is on NetFlix, go check it! 

I don't have or want Netflix

8 minutes ago, 75live said:

not much to tell.  I had the free tickets so after my one friend couldn't go, I decided to use that ticket to ask this one girl out.  It went well, she definitely is into me, but we shall see where it goes.

I don't have or want Netflix

Omg, this is so exciting, I can't believe you're finally going to have a gf!!

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

6 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Stop being so pessimistic and call her to watch Cloverfield   

not pessimistic at all.  one thing came up that may just be in the way, I am cool either way with it since we are still good with each other.  At the very least, it was good to know someone was interested so that's a positive :) 

4 hours ago, Baumer said:

I don't know anyone who actually likes Babadook except the people on here.  What a horrible piece of shit that was.

One of the most overrated horror movies ever. Coming from a huge horror fan was so letdown from that movie besides a few scenes. Do not agree with the critics at all.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

Alright other Horror fans, any recommendations? Because I'm at a loss here:

Here's the one's I've seen so far and what I'd rate them:
Hush - B (far and away the best of the year so far even though it's more of a thriller)
Regression - C+
The Boy - C
The Invitation - C- (what a freaking letdown after those reviews man. Expected another The Gift and didn't get it)
The Witch - D (what an even BIGGER letdown after the reviews. Expected The Crucible but this was a lot worse. I had to turn it off about 40-50 minutes into it due to not being able to understand half of the ye old english dialogue and I watched it with headphones on with great audio)
Intruders - D (what an interesting idea of agoraphobia being blown)
The Forest - D-

I usually won't watch anything that is not a major release above a 6.5 on IMDB with at least a 1,000 ratings (so I know the studio isn't boosting the rating and writing fake reviews).

I really liked It Follows last year and would classify Ex Machina more horror then most due to how tense it was at times. Nothing this year has come close. Two of my favorites last year were The Final Girls and Starry Eyes.

Others I rated above a C from 2015:
The Gift
Crimson Peak
The Visit
Creep
We Are Still Here
Faults (I don't know if you could consider this horror though, again it's more a thriller)
The Nightmare
Goodnight Mommy
Clown

Besides Green Room and The Conjuring 2 what else is there? I'm going to watch They Look Like People because it looks interesting but so did Decay and that got bad reviews.

Seriously any recommendations from this year/2015 from any other horror buffs? Not into jump scares. I like tension.

Edited by somebody85

On 4/21/2016 at 2:13 PM, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'm gonna have to check out The Invitation ASAP.

Lower your expectations from that 90% score on RT. Great acting but that's really it.

Coherence from 2013 was a much stronger dinner party movie that wasn't anywhere near as predictable:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2866360/

Would You Rather was more entertaining too.

Edited by somebody85

21 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

If you don't like The Babadook is it safe to assume that your favourite horror movie ever is Texas Chainsaw 3D?

No actually Halloween (1978) followed by The Exorcist.

I did like the 2003 remake of Texas Chainsaw a lot though, they built incredible atmosphere. Remains one of my favorite remakes to this day.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Treetrunk Special said:

If you don't like The Babadook is it safe to assume that your favourite horror movie ever is Texas Chainsaw 3D?

That's ridiculous.  You're making Babadook out to be some kind of classic horror film when it's just another psychological crapfest.  It's not a real horror film at all.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I did like the 2003 remake of Texas Chainsaw a lot though, they built incredible atmosphere. Remains one of my favorite remakes to this day.

Yea, don't listen to Tree....making out Babadook to be some kind of brilliant film.  

• Like 1

Babadook is fantastic, it's the kind of horror film that is seldom produced these days. No stupid jump scares, no found footage, no teen angst. Horror IS and SHOULD BE psychological, it shouldn't just make you jump.

2 hours ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Babadook is fantastic, it's the kind of horror film that is seldom produced these days. No stupid jump scares, no found footage, no teen angst. Horror IS and SHOULD BE psychological, it shouldn't just make you jump.

I agree with you about jump scares but not about Babadook. It had a lot of potential and missed.

7 hours ago, somebody85 said:

The Texas Chainsaw remake's atmosphere was weak sauce. Not a fan of the slick look and faux grittiness of Platinum Dunes' films. The Invitation, on the other hand, now that had real atmosphere. The Babadook is fantastic and one of the finest horror films of the decade.

IMO.

19 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

The Texas Chainsaw remake's atmosphere was weak sauce. Not a fan of the slick look and faux grittiness of Platinum Dunes' films. The Invitation, on the other hand, now that had real atmosphere. The Babadook is fantastic and one of the finest horror films of the decade.

IMO.

The 2003 version is easily the best Platinum Dunes remake by a mile. I forgot if they did The Hills Have Eyes, but I don't think so. 

I loved the look of it. It seemed like a place that could actually exist off one of those exits you never take and it was well acted for once. They did really good work on the score too. Now the prequel wasn't good and then the 2009 version was terrible.

The Invitation didn't have atmosphere to me at all because I could see what was coming. They tried to throw you off of the predictable route it takes but it was always there. And the moment a certain actor shows up, I knew where it was headed. It was either going to go one way which could have been clever or go the way you can easily guess as soon as they walk in the door. Instead of feeling tense during it all I kept thinking was wow that guy really looks a lot like Tom Hardy. Also if that one scene did not happen, all of the plot falls a part. It's well acted, I'll give it that. But I found it dull besides that not tense. I expected it to be a lot better after the reviews and instead nothing really happens for about 75 minutes.

Then the final scene before it cuts to black is so ridiculous and far fetched that I had to roll my eyes. And I also strongly disagree about The Babadook which collapsed in the third act too.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1