baumer

Racism and the Oscars thread

7 hours ago, The Panda said:

Or you could factor in Bigelow is one of the only female director nods period.

Boyle, Hooper, and Michel are white males, don't cherry pick them as not.  Plus nobody is calling out bias against white Western Europeans.

Director category is also one of the more progressive ones when thinking about minorities (not women though).  Ideally you'd average 2 minority noms a year and 2-3 female noms a year, that doesn't happen. (For numerous reasons I've stated before)

Stop assuming with all of your posts that you pick a few cherry picked nominations and wins to say there isn't a problem with a lack of minorities and women in the industry.  It's a narrow-minded view.

Clock his annoying ass, sis.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, movieboner said:

This all started when Will Smith got snubbed by the Oscars. Will, with his wife and PR team practically stirred up this controversy about the lack of diversity at the Oscars for "revenge." Then, it got blown out of proportion by the media.

Yeah we'll Will Smith is one of the biggest assholes in the film industry so it's not surprising. 

Edited by Kalo

I was watching Bill Maher yesterday and this subject came up and he said that movies now need the foreign market to succeed and that Asian countries are racist.  When his panel protested, he said, "I'm just honest, they don't want to see black people in their movies" and that studio executives cave to this because "Capitalism".

I think there is truth to that, my step dad has spent a lot of time in Japan for his job and he said that Japanese people don't really like black people.  Hell, Japan has even banned the religion of Islam.

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I was watching Bill Maher yesterday and this subject came up and he said that movies now need the foreign market to succeed and that Asian countries are racist.  When his panel protested, he said, "I'm just honest, they don't want to see black people in their movies" and that studio executives cave to this because "Capitalism".

I think there is truth to that, my step dad has spent a lot of time in Japan for his job and he said that Japanese people don't really like black people.  Hell, Japan has even banned the religion of Islam.

Japan has not banned Islam. 

I think affirmative action like policies in Hollywood would backfire with audiences. They have largely failed in improving race relation in the US on a bigger picture. 

People dont  care if the actor is black in a movie if he fits the role.

People don't want to watch a blockbuster movie where the black actor is reminding audiences that he is black.

It should be like Fin in Sw7 or the diverse cast in Fast 7. 

• Like 2

I personally lost respect for Spike Lee about two decades ago when he became jealous of the success of Boyz N The Hood. He was also jealous that Singleton was an Oscar nominated director before he was.  Lee has always come across as a petulant, spoiled little baby who was the toast of the town early in his career and then when his box office receipts failed to increase and studios would no longer fund his passion projects, he cried racism.  It's not racism when no one cares about your movies.  Hollywood is a business and that means they are there to make money.  Lee was a good story teller but there are millions of broke talented story tellers out there.  He was lucky enough to get his films seen.  Now that there's no interest in him anymore, he uses racism as a scapegoat.  So what happened to Mark Pellington, Alan Parker and dozens and dozens of other terrific directors who made good films and aren't around anymore?  They're white, so you can't use skin colour as a crutch there.  

• Like 2

I not saying there isn't a problem with diversity or that the Oscar committee doesn't need more of it, but I do like Ice Cube's take on SOC not being nominated.

During an appearance on The Graham Norton Show, he was asked if he would boycott the Oscars over the lack of diversity in the nominees. He said: “You can’t boycott something that you never went to anyway. We don’t do movies for the industry. We do movies for the fans, for the people. And the industry, you know, if they give you a trophy or not or pat you on the back or not, it’s nice but its not something that you should dwell on. We got accolades from all levels, from our core fans to our curious fans, from people who didn’t even think they wanted to see that movie. I think an older generation got an understanding on why we did that kind of music and the younger generation got a history lesson, and we got so much praise for the movie. How could you be mad because one other academy or guild or whatever didn’t say [we’re] No. 1 … It’s crying about not having enough icing on your cake.

I don't think Ice Cube wouldn't agree with changes needed either, just saying, I like his take as well

• Like 4

They made a movie that appeal to an audience and was well liked by them...

Unlike many others who make movies just to get award buzz and make 11 million dollars at the domestic box office. 

As I said before to many people of colour, we could care less what the oscars say...they are for white people anyway. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Gotta love Lordmandeep crusade against adult movies.

Thank god the academy doesn't award movies based on whether they are able to find an audience or are well liked by their target demo.

And the Oscars are not really that out of touch with the public, didn't they nominate MM, TM and TR to a shit ton of awards (including best picture)? 

Also, it's not like the other nominees made nothing at box office. BOS did 70m, TBS is on pace to make 70m, Spotlight will cross 40m pretty soon.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Thank god the academy doesn't award movies based on whether they are able to find an audience or are well liked by their target demo.

And the Oscars are not really that out of touch with the public, didn't they nominate MM, TM and TR to a shit ton of awards (including best picture)? 

Also, it's not like the other nominees made nothing at box office. BOS did 70m, TBS is on pace to make 70m, Spotlight will cross 40m pretty soon.

As I said the Academy can vote for who ever they like, people just dont care about it as much anymore. 

Pop Culture is far less focused these days then before and people do not always need a main source to validate what is good or not. 

However they have nominated films some one has actually seen this year, so ratings wont be to bad. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

40 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I have no idea what half of these movies are that you are using short form for. :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I have no idea what half of these movies are that you are using short form for. :)

It took me a minute to figure it out, I believe they were being sarcastic about the top, Mad Max, The Martian and The Revenant. the bottom ones are Bridge of Spies, and the Big Short.

• Like 1