Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers: 1) Revenant 16.0 | 2) Star Wars 14.25 | 3) Ride Along 2 12.96 pg 49

59 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

That's a good Saturday for TFA, I think! I was hoping for $6M or so, maybe $6.1M, given the storm and all of that. $7.1M is a great day.

ya TFA looking at a sub 50% drop despite weather, like to think it would have been 40 or so with good weather.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tokila said:

ya TFA looking at a sub 50% drop despite weather, like to think it would have been 40 or so with good weather.

These are normal numbers. (-40%).

Neither good nor bad for SW7.

Jurassic World:

Saturday day 23: -14%

Saturday Day 30: -33.9%

Saturday Day 37: -39.4%
Edited by philippe08

33 minutes ago, philippe08 said:
These are normal numbers. (-40%).

Neither good nor bad for SW7.

Jurassic World:

Saturday day 23: -14%

Saturday Day 30: -33.9%

Saturday Day 37: -39.4%

These aren't normal numbers for SW.  11 states were covered in a snow storm this weekend.  It would of held much better if there was no storm.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

That's a good Saturday for TFA, I think! I was hoping for $6M or so, maybe $6.1M, given the storm and all of that. $7.1M is a great day.

The % it increases or decreases is not going to be affected by the storm.  The Friday number was already depressed due to the storm, so Saturday and Sunday's number will be too, but the percentages will not really fall.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baumer said:

These aren't normal numbers for SW.  11 states were covered in a snow storm this weekend.  It would of held much better if there was no storm.

This is said.

He made -50% due to the weather. With normal weather, it would have been 40%, normal figure.

8 minutes ago, Baumer said:

The % it increases or decreases is not going to be affected by the storm.  The Friday number was already depressed due to the storm, so Saturday and Sunday's number will be too, but the percentages will not really fall.

If the storm had worsened on Saturday (not from the US so don't know), the percentages could still have been affected.

Edited by TommyA10

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Dumb and Dumber ($127M in 1994) and Anchorman ($85M in 2004) were both much bigger movies upon release than Zoolander ($45M in 2001) was.

Zoolander did come out just 2 weeks after 9/11.  I don't think America was ready for that kind of movie at the time.  I remember watching it opening day and it was just my friends and I.  

• Like 3

I think Fifth wave will beat Grandpa in total gross. Should definitely have better legs. Can finest hours beat both though? It seems to me like the kind of movie that easily should, but IHOTS flopped so there's no telling. Also how is the WOM for the Boy? Can it pass 30m off a 10m opening? That would be a pretty good multi for a horror movie though this one shouldn't be as frontloaded due to not being a sequel and having a deflated OW.

26 minutes ago, philippe08 said:

In 2013, the blizzard of February 7 to 9 has very little touched the box office.

That storm primarily affected New England and the immediate NYC metro area.

This blizzard went from South Carolina to Massachusetts along the Eastern Seaboard and also hit inland states in the Ohio and Tennessee River valleys hard.

Huge difference in magnitude.

37 minutes ago, philippe08 said:

In 2013, the blizzard of February 7 to 9 has very little touched the box office.

Maybe 10% difference but not +.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=warmbodies.htm

Sorry dude, but you are in France, maybe you don't get exactly what is happening in the US.  Go to CNN.com or something.  This storm has shut everything down.....sporting events, movie theaters, grocery stores, the power and so on.  It absolutely is having an effect.

17 minutes ago, philippe08 said:

Ok but if SW7 is 7.1 this Saturday.

Without the blizzard, you think he would have done 15? You know that's not possible. 8 to 8.5 by taking figures last week.

I don't think anyone has said anything about a $15 million Saturday. A few million more throughout the weekend? Yes.

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

You're right. SW7 jumped over 100% on Saturday so clearly Friday was depressed. My guess we would be looking at 16M for the weekend but it should have a strong hold next weekend with no storm and NFL Playoffs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, philippe08 said:

Ok but if SW7 is 7.1 this Saturday.

Without the blizzard, you think he would have done 15? You know that's not possible. 8 to 8.5 by taking figures last week.

Domestic is 360m people. They say the storm will affect 80m. It didn't hit half those people on friday.  Some inner city theaters like midtown Manhattan might stay open. It's probably a 10-12% hit. 

FWIW, the Boston-Baltimore corridor is home to about 55 million people.. So imagine a storm shutting down more than half of France. Its that bad. 

I think that arguing a 10% better performance for movies this weekend is cutting it short.. I'd imagine that the storms are probably effecting the box office by at least 15 or even 20%.

It will be very interesting to see Sunday and Monday holds for movies.. Schools will likely be out for a few days, and I wonder if we could see Mon-Tues numbers with slightly better performances than typical due to it.

I may be talking shit but wouldn't people from big urban areas be more likely to go to the movies and wouldn't tickets be more expensive? I just get the feeling that cities in the east coast have a higher share (just like big cities in the west coast) of participation in the Box Office, and not just something proportional to its population size.

• Like 1