WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Kung Fu Panda 3 - 41M, The Finest Hours 0- 10.3M, The Revenant - 12.4M...Sunday holds better than expected.....SW over 11 mill and KFP3 over 41 pg 34

191.8 M TOY STORY
245.9 M TOY STORY II
415.0 M TOY STORY III

267.7 M SHREK
441.2 M SHREK II
322.7 M SHREK THE THIRD
238.7 M SHREK FOREVER AFTER

193.6 M MADAGASCAR
180.0 M MADAGASCAR: ESCAPE 2 AFRICA
216.4 M MADAGASCAR: EUROPE'S MOST WANTED

176.4 M ICE AGE
195.3 M ICE AGE: THE MELTDOWN
196.6 M ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS
161.3 M ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I really don't know why people expected an increase from 2, the best case scenario would have been a small drop. Marketing was nowhere near the level's of Madagascar 3's and it was arguably way too late to do another sequel.

Tbh, I think the fact that is gonna open with 40M or very close to it in late January with a meh marketing campaign shows the strength of the franchise.

15 minutes ago, Chewy said:

KFP3 won't be the last disappointment, people are over-predicting every release this year it seems.

It is true. People are going nuts this year.

• Like 2

This is why I'm not over-predicting Batman vs Superman or Suicide Squad because they might be disappointments. I'm keeping it on the low end. People might call me a sissy bitch for playing it safe, but I learned a lot from 2015.

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

This KFP III performance really baffles me. Has the North American audience gotten tired of the series? I mean it's one of Dreamworks' best. The terrible HOME even opened higher. I know the release dates are different but still...

Maybe because the american audience were so stupid of not giving shits about great quality franchises and rather watch mediocre films like Twilight, Alvin....etc? :ph34r:

Has the audience not gotten any smarter of what makes a great film more worth watching? Like the KFP-series? Who does that?! :ohmyzod:

13 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Maybe because the american audience were so stupid of not giving shits about great quality franchises and rather watch mediocre films like Twilight, Alvin....etc? :ph34r:

Has the audience not gotten any smarter of what makes a great film more worth watching? Like the KFP-series? Who does that?! :ohmyzod:

:ohmyzod:

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

It really does, indeed. People should give this franchise more of a chance......

Give more love to the KFP-series, Madagascar-series & HTTYD-series, guys. The Madagascar-franchise found it's true popularity and love with the third film.

I kind of found the same way with Good Dinosaur, and not just animated films. There are quite a few great movies out there that don't get the credit they deserve, but such is the way with the industry.

That being said, it's not like KFP is a neglected franchise my any means. Maybe it's just a case where it maximized its potential. 40M opening is still pretty good. It's when you look at movies like Finest Hours that are barely opening to 10M that are neglected.

Jack Black is not as popular now as he used to be, back when KFP1 came out it was actually marketed focusing on the fact he was in it. Now they did not mention it much and he was only chosen to have the same voice. 

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I kind of found the same way with Good Dinosaur, and not just animated films. There are quite a few great movies out there that don't get the credit they deserve, but such is the way with the industry.

That being said, it's not like KFP is a neglected franchise my any means. Maybe it's just a case where it maximized its potential. 40M opening is still pretty good. It's when you look at movies like Finest Hours that are barely opening to 10M that are neglected.

Yeah. True.

There are absolutely great movies done right......but doesn't really soar massively high at the box office.

Example: Mad Max: Fury Road, Edge of Tomorrow, HTTYD2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes...etc.

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Yeah. True.

There are absolutely great movies done right......but doesn't really soar massively high at the box office.

Example: Mad Max: Fury Road, Edge of Tomorrow, HTTYD2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes...etc.

Yea but those are still blockbuster smashes that had some crazy out there predictions that weren't met. For example, I'm watching Her right now, which is a pretty awesome movie so far, but it barely made 25M.

• Like 1

What I learned from 2015:

Good reviewed films can flop too: Steve Jobs, Everest, The Walk, Crimson Peak, Ex-Machina

Popular franchises/films can under-perform or flop too: Age of Ultron, Peanuts, The Good Dinosaur, Spectre, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, Tomorrowland, Terminator Genisys, Ted 2, Fantastic 4, Poltergeist, Sinister 2, and Point Break.

You know.....the funny thing about Marvel Cinematic movies, is......after "The Avengers" became the highest grossing film of 2012.......none of the post-Avengers films were #1 films of their years they were released. Does anyone notice that?

2013: Iron Man 3 was huge....but did not win the year...DOM-wise, it was beaten by HG: Catching Fire and WW-wise it was beaten by Frozen.

2014: Captain America: Winter Solder was another big hit.... but DOM-wise, American Sniper beat it and WW-wise, TF4 was a lot higher.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron was expected by many to win 2015 in all regions....but then got beaten by 3 other zeitgeisters like FF7, JW & SW: Force Awakens.

It seems like Marvel movies....had a very hard time winning their years. And with Finding Dory, coming out this year.....i kinda doubt CA3: Civil War will win this year as a whole.

25 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Not saying that they are. Actually...they're smart....but they have to be smarter than this. :(

A great opportunity to make a great series so financially successful.......but none of that happens, unfortunately.

Well, first, the market today is way more different than the market before. Competition has been fiercer especially with the arrival of Universal and its strong animation arm. Disney has stepped up their game as well. Second, watching animated films is more expensive than ever. A family of four needs to spend what, $24 - $32 (perhaps, even more) per film and that excludes food. They just can't simply watch all. They need to choose and unfortunately, sometimes they don't choose base on quality. Parents choose base on what appeals to their kids. Apparently, KUNG FU PANDA III isn't one of those movies that do. 37 M - 40 M is still good money, though. However, I'm more interested in overseas numbers.

Edited by kayumanggi