WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Kung Fu Panda 3 - 41M, The Finest Hours 0- 10.3M, The Revenant - 12.4M...Sunday holds better than expected.....SW over 11 mill and KFP3 over 41 pg 34

22 minutes ago, movieboner said:

By flopping, I mean by producing disappointing box office results regardless of budget or marketing costs. It received wonderful reviews, but the public gave it little attention, thus it only grossed a small $25 million domestically. A similar type of film with a small budget, wonderful reviews and an unknown studio is District 9, which earned way more than Ex-Machina with $115 million domestically in 2009.

District 9 was released in 3000 theaters and got a sizable marketing push by Sony.

Ex Machina got to 2000 theaters several weeks into release but never got a big marketing push because A24 is still a small potatoes studio that is slowly getting prestige and money.

Plus, District 9 was an action thriller, whereas Ex Machina is for the most part a moody drama.

Edited by 4815162342

Has nobody else seen quite a bit of marketing for Finest Hours? I've seen a lot all over YouTube adds and TV spots, kind of the same as I did with The Visit. Surprised that Disney's marketing wasn't able to push this even to 15M+z.

22 minutes ago, movieboner said:

By flopping, I mean by producing disappointing box office results regardless of budget or marketing costs. It received wonderful reviews, but the public gave it little attention, thus it only grossed a small $25 million domestically. A similar type of film with a small budget, wonderful reviews and an unknown studio is District 9, which earned way more than Ex-Machina with $115 million domestically in 2009.

Uh...

You're saying that there's a theoretical line above which films are successes and below which films are flops. That's not how it works. You need to take multiple factors into account.

Ex Machina might be low grossing, but it's not a flop, nor was it a disappointing result. $25m for a platform release of a very cerebral science fiction film from a small studio and a limited marketing outlay is fantastic. It was 60% higher than Spring Breakers, which got a lot more pre-release buzz.

District 9 has a much more conventional approach, a lot of action to sell it, and had a major marketing campaign.

If you want a better 2009 comparison, look at Moon. Small budget, cerebral sci-fi that had good reviews. And it did okay, but was a bit disappointing in that they never gave it any awards push. So Ex Machina's looking a lot better.

1 minute ago, DamienRoc said:

It's not even the strongest in DWA.

Hidden Content

Have to disagree. Find the first one painfully generic and the second I enjoy quite a bit but still not as good as either of the KFP movies IMO

Nice to see The Boy doing well.

When I left the theater, I heard reactions like "that wasn't bad at all" and "that was actually pretty good."  After seeing a really disappointing horror film like Sinister 2, it's nice to see something that's better than expected. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Hidden Content

Another Dreamworks franchise that had two excellent entries but had the second one falter at the DOM box office.:(

Edited by cookie

1 minute ago, Gumby said:

Nice to see The Boy doing well.

When I left the theater, I heard reactions like "that wasn't bad at all" and "that was actually pretty good."  After seeing a really disappointing horror film like Sinister 2, it's nice to see something that's better than expected. 

Completely off topic but Gumby and Pokey are awesome

14 minutes ago, cookie said:

Both Kung Fu Pandas are really good. Personally like 2 a bit better because it's more ambitious. Haven't seen the third one yet.

Third once isn't quite as great, but it certainly has the right elements of the first two.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Hidden Content

I am Ethan here. The Kung Fu Panda movies are better. Only slightly though in my mind. Saw KFP3 today & it was great!

• Like 1