WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Kung Fu Panda 3 - 41M, The Finest Hours 0- 10.3M, The Revenant - 12.4M...Sunday holds better than expected.....SW over 11 mill and KFP3 over 41 pg 34

4 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

You know.....the funny thing about Marvel Cinematic movies, is......after "The Avengers" became the highest grossing film of 2012.......none of the post-Avengers films were #1 films of their years they were released. Does anyone notice that?

2013: Iron Man 3 was huge....but did not win the year...DOM-wise, it was beaten by HG: Catching Fire and WW-wise it was beaten by Frozen.

2014: Captain America: Winter Solder was another big hit.... but DOM-wise, American Sniper beat it and WW-wise, TF4 was a lot higher.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron was expected by many to win 2015 in all regions....but then got beaten by 3 other zeitgeisters like FF7, JW & SW: Force Awakens.

It seems like Marvel movies....had a very hard time winning their years. And with Finding Dory, coming out this year.....i kinda doubt CA3: Civil War will win this year as a whole.

A hard thing to do, win a box office year. Even Hunger Games only did it once. And I'm pretty sure Harry Potter only did once or twice.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, movieboner said:

What I learned from 2015:

Good reviewed films can flop too: Steve Jobs, Everest, The Walk, Crimson Peak, Ex-Machina

Popular franchises/films can under-perform or flop too: Age of Ultron, Peanuts, The Good Dinosaur, Spectre, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, Tomorrowland, Terminator Genisys, Ted 2, Fantastic 4, Poltergeist, Sinister 2, and Point Break.

Ex Machina was a flop?

It had a small production budget, a platform release, and a limited marketing outset. It grossed $36m WW against a $15m budget. It wasn't a blockbuster, but I doubt it was a disappointment, either. It's by far the highest grossing film that A24 has released.

• Like 2

1 HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE

2 THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

1 SPIDER-MAN

2 THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

1 THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

2 FINDING NEMO

1 SHREK II

2 SPIDER-MAN II

1 STAR WARS: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH

2 THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE.

1 PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST

2 NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM

1 SPIDER-MAN III

2 SHREK THE THIRD

1 THE DARK KNIGHT

2 IRON MAN

1 AVATAR

2 TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN

1 TOY STORY III

2 ALICE N WONDERLAND

1 HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS II

2 TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON

1 THE AVENGERS

2 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

1 THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE

2 IRON MAN III

1 AMERICAN SNIPER

2 THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY I

1 STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS

2 JURASSIC WORLD

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Ahh, back when DWA were kings.

Shrek 2's reputation has taken such a huge hit since then. I don't hear it talked about anymore outside of the franchise's fandom.

That's kinda surprising for the highest grossing film of 2004, and the highest grossing animated film, DOM-wise. :huh:

29 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Ex Machina was a flop?

It had a small production budget, a platform release, and a limited marketing outset. It grossed $36m WW against a $15m budget. It wasn't a blockbuster, but I doubt it was a disappointment, either. It's by far the highest grossing film that A24 has released.

By flopping, I mean by producing disappointing box office results regardless of budget or marketing costs. It received wonderful reviews, but the public gave it little attention, thus it only grossed a small $25 million domestically. A similar type of film with a small budget, wonderful reviews and an unknown studio is District 9, which earned way more than Ex-Machina with $115 million domestically in 2009.

52 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Never seen a KFP movie. 

I had shrugged them off as silly kids films, but I finally watched the first one last year, and loved it - both films (haven't seen 3 yet) are lovely pieces of honest animation that don't try to cram in pop culture references and humour all over the place. They're just enjoyable, very well made with a lot of care and love put into them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, movieboner said:

By flopping, I mean by producing disappointing box office results regardless of budget or marketing costs. It received wonderful reviews, but the public gave it little attention, thus it only grossed a small $25 million domestically. A similar type of film with a small budget, wonderful reviews and an unknown studio is District 9, which earned way more than Ex-Machina with $115 million domestically in 2009.

District 9 was distributed by Sony. The marketing budget was obviously way higher than A24's.

3 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Brilliant?

Maybe some parts of the second, but the franchise overall is mostly just above average.

Yes, brilliant. Outside of the Toy Story flicks I can't think of a stronger animated franchise

2 minutes ago, movieboner said:

District 9 was distributed by Sony. The marketing budget was obviously way higher than A24's.