Kalo

Best Actor predictions-2016

Now that reviews are coming in for Fences, I'm beginning to think Casey Affleck is winning. Washington's reviews are strong but the film itself doesn't appear like it will be strong enough to win multiple Oscars (especially when Davis still has Supporting Actress in the bag with the notices she's getting). Fences is currently sitting at 67 on MC compared to the insane 95 for Manchester by the Sea.

• Like 2

waiting to see if casey gets nate parker'd. this article just came up. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/22/casey-affleck-s-dark-secret-the-disturbing-allegations-against-the-oscar-hopeful.html

i've seen a couple stories pop up about this but nothing seems to be sticking. there's probably a thinkpiece worth writing eventually about how this stuff is revealed about a black actor and it destroys his career and the white guy might win an oscar (and the other white guy gets to be president).

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

I don't see it sticking tbh. Affleck and the victims settled out of court and part of the agreement is no doubt that they can't speak about it. Unless there are others...

Not to mention everyone citing this Daily Beast article that has somehow *magically* surfaced around the time of the movie's release kinda rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 2

Wow, just saw Fences. I know this is probably Casey Affleck's one and only chance in his career to win an Oscar, which kind of works to his advantage from a narrative standpoint, but Denzel really deserves it. Talk about some serious method acting chops. I wouldn't be surprised if this is another Streep upsets Davis situation, where the acting legend with multiple wins is just too good and beats out the award season novice who everyone predicts to win. 

Being this good is why he is locked for a nomination but he won't win simply because Afleck is way better 

up until now Denzel hasn't won anything except for the african american film critics association award ( if you read the name you might know why they awarded him ) as opposed to Affleck who took home every award there is 

I dunno if Streep won because she was just too good, I think they just threw their hands up in the air and said fuck it it's been 30 years we might as well give you a third one now. Denzel has won his second relatively recently and is not getting nominations year after year after year to the point where he basically leaves them no choice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

I dunno if Streep won because she was just too good, I think they just threw their hands up in the air and said fuck it it's been 30 years we might as well give you a third one now. Denzel has won his second relatively recently and is not getting nominations year after year after year to the point where he basically leaves them no choice. 

Agreed with this. Denzel's getting nominated but isn't winning.

I still think Denzel is a threat for the win, especially if voters decide that they're too uncomfortable with the sex scandals associated with Affleck. It would even be an odd instance of history kinda-sorta repeating itself given that he won his second Oscar against an actor whose unseemly behavior turned voters off. It would also be an easy way to respond to the Oscars so white controversy with "See? We're not racist!" if a beloved black actor were to tie for most male acting wins. Sight unseen, I'm guessing that it's also a showier performance than Affleck's quieter work (even if Affleck does get that devastating monologue that will almost certainly be played as his Oscar clip).

I think this Sunday will give me a better idea of who the possible spoilers will be in terms of getting that fifth spot. 

My shoe ins are Ryan Gosling, Casey Affleck, Denzel Washington and Andrew Garfield. 

Edited out because I'm still catching up on who is eligible in the category lol 

I don't think Tom Hanks is getting a nom. Sully has been shown the door in terms of awards love.

I agree with Joel Edgerton sneaking in as well. Loving has been getting a lot of love so I can see the Academy giving Edgerton that fifth slot. 

It'll be interesting to see who the Academy gives that fifth slot to though. 

Either way Casey Affleck is winning this thing. I'm more sure of it than I was last year with Leo winning his lol 

Edited by Nova

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Grant will go supporting at the oscars like he did at the SAG awards.

I was just coming in to say that I just saw this after reading that online lol 

Never mind then. 

I think the spoiler will be Edgerton then and the other 4 I mentioned. I don't think Viggo is getting a nom. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3