WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: (Page 18): Deadpool 31.5M | Gods 14M | KFP 9M | Risen 7M | Eddie 6.3M | Triple 9 6.1M | Spectre 16k (lol)

Summit/Lionsgate only have to bear the marketing and US distribution costs for Gods of Egypt, they've already made back most of the budget from the presales to local distributors but the disadvantage is that if GoE does bank OS Summit/Lionsgate won't see any of that money. The most infamous example is The Golden Compass where New Line sold the OS rights and it was lead them to be folded into Warner Bros. 

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No one remembers that movie beyond the fact that it was one of 5357352121138496 movies that Princess Vikander was in last year.

Blasphemy, but I saw her in about half of those last year and she made very little impression expect thinking she should keep her clothes on. :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Eddie's number confirms that Hugh has zero box-office draw. It was marketed well for a sports/inspiration based movie, but ...yeah

I wonder what will happen to Hugh after wolverine 3.

I don't think Eddie the Eagle was ever going to make much. Did anyone else get that 1 minute trailer before Deadpool that basically pitched the movie to the fanboy crowd? They just couldn't get anyone interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

A bunch of foreign distrubutors picked up the rights. Basically as long as this gets 25M in the US Lionsgate will be happy.

20 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Summit/Lionsgate only have to bear the marketing and US distribution costs for Gods of Egypt, they've already made back most of the budget from the presales to local distributors but the disadvantage is that if GoE does bank OS Summit/Lionsgate won't see any of that money. The most infamous example is The Golden Compass where New Line sold the OS rights and it was lead them to be folded into Warner Bros. 

At the lowest end of their range right now, The Wrap is projecting $11 million for GoE's opening weekend.  I'm skeptical that GoE can even get to $25 million easily, once it goes past its opening weekend.  And marketing costs for GoE are substantial, as would be expected from a company putting out a commercial on Super Bowl weekend.  What about the weekend drops in the next few weeks?  They could be very steep for GoE.

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think Eddie the Eagle was ever going to make much. Did anyone else get that 1 minute trailer before Deadpool that basically pitched the movie to the fanboy crowd? They just couldn't get anyone interested.

I never saw that trailer but that totally sounds as a desperate move for a movie with 0 buzz. The SB spot was a desperate move as well.

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Eddie the Eagle probably will have better luck in the UK, it' cost $23m so I can't imagine Fox was expecting gangbuster numbers. 

Well they bought a SB spot

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I never saw that trailer but that totally sounds as a desperate move for a movie with 0 buzz. The SB spot was a desperate move as well.

It basically starts out with "From Producer Matthew Vaughn, The Director of First Class and Kingsman" with two second snippets of the two stars of Eddie the Eagle from those movies and then follows that with a clip of Taron Egerton flopping epically at a skate jump. Like, I get that they wanted to get a bunch of rowdy dudes who wanted to see the foul-mouthed superhero movie interested in a heartwarming inspirational sports movie by playing up the credentials of the behind the scenes talent but really.

The concept of box office draws are practically dying these days (don't want to get into that argument mind you). Not really sure if Eddie's failure can be blamed on Jackman alone, especially when Fox kinda undersold the film anyway, like they expected it to be average to poor business. The trailer for it did really nothing for me honestly, even if I did think it looked kinda good.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

But a 15M opening could lead to a 35-39M domestic total, and even wish Marketing, Lionsgate shouldn't lose more than 5-10M.

Still this was viewed as a potential franchise for them, trust me-- Lionsgate isn't happy. They desperately need Power Rangers to be a huge hit. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

The concept of box office draws are practically dying these days (don't want to get into that argument mind you). Not really sure if Eddie's failure can be blamed on Jackman alone, especially when Fox kinda undersold the film anyway, like they expected it to be average to poor business. The trailer for it did really nothing for me honestly, even if I did think it looked kinda good.

They did alot of marketing for this(SB spot), atleast more than Focus did for Race, so an opening on par with Race or a little below has got to be dissappointing.

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

They did alot of marketing for this(SB spot), atleast more than Focus did for Race, so an opening on par with Race or a little below has got to be dissappointing.

Eh, considering Eddie The Eagle was a co-production, I don't think the executives at Fox are panicking over it's opening weekend numbers.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

3 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Eh, considering Eddie The Eagle was a co-production, I don't think the executives at Fox are panicking over it's opening weekend numbers.

Who said they were panicking? Im talking about disappointment. 

15 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Still this was viewed as a potential franchise for them, trust me-- Lionsgate isn't happy. They desperately need Power Rangers to be a huge hit. 

They might've hoped for it to be a franchise, but they hedged their bets well, and while it may be a disappointment, it's not gonna be a money-losing disappointment. Lionsgate doesn't need anything desperately... unless they take on high-risk huge-budget projects without mitigating potential damage. 

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

It's sad how some religions just don't have a solid devoted base any more.  Once upon a time Isis and Osiris would have been a hot ticket.

Well,that group of people in Iraq and Syria sort of damaged the brand for Isis.....

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

They might've hoped for it to be a franchise, but they hedged their bets well, and while it may be a disappointment, it's not gonna be a money-losing disappointment. Lionsgate doesn't need anything desperately... unless they take on high-risk huge-budget projects without mitigating potential damage. 

True, but you can presell flops for only so long;sooner or later the foreign distributors will stop buying,

Lionsgate is not in immediate danger,but they need to avoid the mistakes that New Line made post LOTR.

They are a small studio that has been punching above their weight with a couple of successful franchises. They are not going to have that huge income coming in,and they need to be more cautious about the films they make. They can't keep preselling their flops forever.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Lionsgate is probably relieved they won't lose money on GOE,but are not happy they spent a huge amount without much..in anything ...in the way of profit in return.

And POwer Rangers is pretty questionable. I have a really hard time that a more mature,grittier Power Rangers can work.