WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: (Page 18): Deadpool 31.5M | Gods 14M | KFP 9M | Risen 7M | Eddie 6.3M | Triple 9 6.1M | Spectre 16k (lol)

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It's kind of remarkable how the whitewashing controversies only seem to happen to bad movies. Emma Stone as an Asian remains a truly WTF moment for the ages.

if you've seen the movie then you'll know that her ethnicity is the very least of the movie's problems... :P 

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Eh, not so much. One character had a last name that's a very common Korean name, and she's white in the movie... but IIRC the author also mentioned he didn't specifically intend her to be Korean.  Chiwetal Egiofor's character is Indian in the book, so one minority character becomes another minority. 

And he's half-Indian in the movie.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

They spent 140M on Gods of Egypt lol. They should at least give Power Rangers a 100M budget.

Why should they waste that much on a glorified tv episode? Power Rangers is all about the low-rent Ultraman esthetic, anyway. They'd lose the show's fans if the costumes and fx looked like they spent more than a few bucks on it.

16 minutes ago, Total Treecall said:

if you've seen the movie then you'll know that her ethnicity is the very least of the movie's problems... :P 

I have. It's awful. But she's probably the worst thing about because of how ridiculous her entire character is.

4 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Everyone getting all hyped for the ever debated Big Fat Greek Wedding sequel

A Windex ad urging shoppers to buy window cleaner and MBFGW2 tickets was playing on a loop at the local grocery store. The hype is real! :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

we're coming up on the 9 year anniversary of 300 in a couple weeks and gerard butler is still trying to be a thing. hollywood's stubborness here is incredible.

At least people know who he is, unlike Kitschface among failed leading men.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

we're coming up on the 9 year anniversary of 300 in a couple weeks and gerard butler is still trying to be a thing. hollywood's stubborness here is incredible.

GERARD BUTLER! will always get a pass from me ever since his phenomenal turn as Luke Skywalker in Reign of Fire.

• Like 3

Powerless to ‘Deadpool’, ‘Gods of Egypt’ Is First 2016 Big-Budget Bomb – Afternoon Box Office Update

2ND UPDATE, 1:39 PM: No one could have predicted just how powerful Deadpool would continue to be at this point in time, so dating any big-budget film might have seemed safe two weeks into this Marvel superhero’s run. How popular could this Wolverine supporting character be? At least that was the the thinking. WrongDeadpool continues to crush it with an estimated $9M-$10M Friday on its way to an estimated $30M weekend. In the course of holding the top spot for the third time, Deadpool is pulling Lionsgate’s $140M deadpool 20spectacle Gods Of Egypt away from any kind of heavenly gross: With $10M-$12M in second place at 3,117 theaters, Alex Proyas’ sword-and-sandal film is 2016’s first big misfire. What adds further insult to injury for Gods of Egypt is that star Gerard Butler will be competing against himself next weekend when Focus Features opens its action thriller London Has Fallen, a sequel to the surprise 2013 spring $99M hit Olympus Has Fallen.

http://deadline.com/2016/02/deadpool-gods-of-egypt-eddie-the-eagle-triple-9-box-office-1201709751/

Edited by sfran43

Frankly I don't and won't understand the need to classify a film that will eventually turn a profit as a bomb or misfire. Is Gods of Egypt going to light the world on fire, no but Lions gate isn't losing sleep over it not being the blockbuster they had hoped for. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Frankly I don't and won't understand the need to classify a film that will eventually turn a profit as a bomb or misfire. Is Gods of Egypt going to light the world on fire, no but Lions gate isn't losing sleep over it not being the blockbuster they had hoped for. 

Lmao don't think Gods of Egypt will eventually turn a profit for many people...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I guess it's because of the blood that has been in the water for a while now. You could tell after the first trailer for Gods of Egypt was released that it was the kind of movie that would eventually hold the status of being a failed potential franchise-starter and maintain a low reputation.

a big problem people also had with Aloha with regards to race is although it took place in Hawaii where 42% of the population was Asian there were no asian characters besides Emma Stone's character lol. And y'all know the mess that Emma Stone's character became lol. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Talkie said:

Why should they waste that much on a glorified tv episode? Power Rangers is all about the low-rent Ultraman esthetic, anyway. They'd lose the show's fans if the costumes and fx looked like they spent more than a few bucks on it.

I 100% disagree.  For the time, those special effects were kind of something to marvel at.  If the movie looks like shit, visually, people will not be encouraged to go see it.  I grew up as a diehard fan and for about 3 years it was my favorite show as a kid.  I'm already on the fence about the film with some of the casting and the fact that its Lionsgate who does a great job of butchering releases but yeah if it looks cheap I won't be seeing it for novelty.  I want an update that matches the times and I think most other fans would as well.

• Like 2

Aren't the actors playing the Power Rangers like all people who have one or two nothing credits to their name? Haha talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

But whatever. The only reason anyone should be interested in that is Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa. On one hand I can't help but think "I know actors need paychecks every now and then but geez Elizabeth" and then I think...Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa. Maybe I'll secretly root for this lolol.

mbkcwk.jpg

• Like 2