Ash Skywalker

Only the Brave (formerly known as Granite Mountain Hotshots) | Director Joseph Kosinski | Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, Jeff Bridges, Taylor Kitsch...Oct 20th 2017

52 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And I am sure that victims of the California Wild Fires are thrilled by this.....bad timing.

I live in BC and (as I posted about probably numerous times :lol: ) we experienced devastating fires throughout this past summer. Family of many of my friends were affected and really thousands of people in my province were affected. But I find a lot of mentality from customers I see in town or just people in town in general is that they're more excited for this than upset about the timing. It's not like the movie is honoring the fires, but rather honoring those who fight the fires and help the people who may potentially be harmed by them. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, DAJK said:

I live in BC and (as I posted about probably numerous times :lol: ) we experienced devastating fires throughout this past summer. Family of many of my friends were affected and really thousands of people in my province were affected. But I find a lot of mentality from customers I see in town or just people in town in general is that they're more excited for this than upset about the timing. It's not like the movie is honoring the fires, but rather honoring those who fight the fires and help the people who may potentially be harmed by them. 

Exactly!  And isn't it a time to honour people like first responders?  That's what people want to celebrate.  I don't think this film is glorifying the fire, quite the opposite.  And it looks like a good film at least from the trailer.  This is the film (and The Foreigner) I'm most excited for before JL.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, The Last baumer said:

Exactly!  And isn't it a time to honour people like first responders?  That's what people want to celebrate.  I don't think this film is glorifying the fire, quite the opposite.  And it looks like a good film at least from the trailer.  This is the film (and The Foreigner) I'm most excited for before JL.

Like the directors of Foreigner and Brave, so I'm there opening night for both. 

• Like 1

Box office wise, this film seems to have a chance at being the only wide release that has a fresh rating on rotten tomatoes for this week. The Snowman already has poor reviews, Geostorm and Boo 2! are the kinds of films likely to be marked down, and Same Kind of Different as Me will likely not have review scores available until a later time, as per usual for faith based films. This puts Only The Brave at an advantage this weekend with moviegoers who need to make a quick decision among the new releases. Even though Geostorm will probably beat it unless we're in for a surprise.

Edited by slambros
  • Like 1

Just came back from this.

This is a great film that will unfortunately go under everyone's radars. A very nuanced look at the lives of heroes. There are a countless amount of meaningful directorial choices involving lighting, mise-en-scene, editing, and camera angles. Realistic fire effects. Great acting- especially from Brolin, Teller, and Connelly. Great writing, too.

The season is going to get busier as it progresses, I get that. But I am still wholeheartedly recommending this film to everyone who may be reading this. It is truly the diamond in the rough of the weekend's poor overall quality among new releases.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

How big is the scope ?

Is the movie spectacular ?

Is it an intimate drama or do the fire scenes deliver on the spectacle ?

It's mostly an intimate drama with a handful of set pieces. It's the same approach as Deepwater Horizon last year, although that became a full blown action pic in the second half. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's mostly an intimate drama with a handful of set pieces. It's the same approach as Deepwater Horizon last year, although that became a full blown action pic in the second half. 

Unlike DW they kept the budget low at $38m but unfortunately it looks like it wasn't low enough.  I think they needed a bigger name at lead than Telller.  It wouldn't have made it a hit but might have allowed it to break even or eventually make a bit of a profit. Say a difference between opening at $6m and $12-13m and with better prospects O/S.