CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

The long-standing "Forever saved the franchise after Returns" narrative has always left me a bit perplexed. It only made $20M more and actually had an ever so slightly smaller multiplier (3.49 to 3.51 for Returns). Granted, I know it didn't leave the overall sour aftertaste that Returns did. 

• Like 2

Just now, CJohn said:

You are insane :rofl: 

You are the one wrong here. I give you real examples that prove what I am saying. You have no counter so you say that :rofl::rofl::rofl: That is just a sad defeat. 

So wait critical response has to always= commercial for there to be a correlation? & I'm the one that's insane? Classic.

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

WOM matters towards OW as well do you agree or not? I understand many diehards make plans to see staples (through presales etc) that's clearly proven correct. Having said that, look at how well the buzz built positively for Deadpool/TA.

Of course it matters to some degree. But for the large block of diehards (the ones who drive all these big preview numbers and ODs), WOM from critics is far less important than WOM from who they consider to be fellow fans. And for those on the fence or more casual fans, WOM can come from a number of different things: critical praise, sheer talkability/buzz (sellout reports on the news, water cooler talk at work, that sort of thing), or just WOM from friends.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Of course it matters to some degree. But for the large block of diehards (the ones who drive all these big preview numbers and ODs), WOM from critics is far less important than WOM from who they consider to be fellow fans. And for those on the fence or more casual fans, WOM can come from a number of different things: critical praise, sheer talkability/buzz (sellout reports on the news, water cooler talk at work, that sort of thing), or just WOM from friends.

Im so excited to find out soon on this one, can't wait to enjoy the meltdowns.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

So wait critical response has to always= commercial for there to be a correlation? & I'm the one that's insane? Classic.

It sometimes exists a correlation, sometimes it doesn't. It is as simple as that.

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

No Bear says there is a trend

Cjohn your just giving divergent examples.

There is no trend. The only trend that exists is in your head. You love TF movies. Since reviews suck shouldn't you hate them and spread bad WOM????

Just now, CJohn said:

It sometimes exists a correlation, sometimes it doesn't. It is as simple as that.

There is no trend. The only trend that exists is in your head. You love TF movies. Since reviews suck shouldn't you hate them and spread bad WOM????

No it's not as simple as that but believe what you want and/or study what a correlation actually means. So much lol.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

But TF is mindless stupid fun.

Are you saying the supposed DC comicverse is just mindless stupid fun or some dark visionary take of the comic book genre.

That is what it comes down to in the end? Is the new DC films the new TF films then? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

There is clearly a correlation, the ? is how strong relative to other film genres or films in general?

That's probably too much work for anyone, but something like that isn't a guessing game.  You could just do the math and see.

The question of what sort of impact RT% has on opening weekend would probably require some sort of random polling of moviegoers.  In the social media age, I imagine it's having more and more impact as every year goes by, since it plays into buzz, which is now instant, but I doubt anybody has hard numbers on the effect.

• Like 1

Also the Flixster rating keeps gradually decreasing. It's down to a 81%, it started about an 84 or 85 today. 

The thing that concerns me about this movie is it's not just the "snobby critics" that haven't liked it. It's the big Youtube reviewers, it's sites like IGN, Collider, etc. 

It'd be one thing if you were hearing one thing somewhere else (like from these so called pretentious critics *rolls eyes*) and everyone else was saying something different. But that's not happening. The most common complaints are coming from all sides.

There are people like CJohn who loved it and say fuck the critics but oh man, are there some people have gone in depth and torn it to shreds. Some who didn't want to. You couldn't do that if the movie was amazing.

Imo I think we can agree Good reviews have a positive effect on the buzz before the release of the film.

If a film has great reviews it generates a ton of Good press and Good Will.

TA and TDK area great recent examples... These films would have even with bad reviews made a lot of money but as much as they did opening weekend? 

• Like 5

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Imo I think we can agree Good reviews have a positive effect on the buzz before the release of the film.

If a film has great reviews it generates a ton of Good press and Good Will.

TA and TDK area great recent examples... These films would have even with bad reviews made a lot of money but as much as they did opening weekend? 

Deadpool is another. Do people really think that would have made as much money as it did without the really positive reviews?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Also the Flixster rating keeps gradually decreasing. It's down to a 81%, it started about an 84 or 85 today. 

The thing that concerns me about this movie is it's not just the "snobby critics" that haven't liked it. It's the big Youtube reviewers, it's sites like IGN, Collider, etc. 

It'd be one thing if you were hearing one thing somewhere else (like from these so called pretentious critics *rolls eyes*) and everyone else was saying something different. But that's not happening. The most common complaints are coming from all sides.

There are people like CJohn who loved it and say fuck the critics but oh man, are there some people have gone in depth and torn it to shreds. Some who didn't want to. You couldn't do that if the movie was amazing.

The level of excitement even among the positive reviews is not good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

The level of excitement even among the positive reviews is not good.

Oh yeah most of the general consensus with the positive reviews has been that it is not terrible..it is just okay. It's watchable but has major issues.

The sites that have spent SO MUCH time talking about this movie that I thought would be over the moon with it after the first reactions on Monday have all said the same things.

And that's why I'm skipping it in theaters. It's just too long for me. I'll wait and see if the extended cut fixes these issues where I can watch it at home. 

Edited by somebody85

Just watched this shit, Jesus Christ, Zack, what you did..... You created a monster..... This movie is going to have a worse reception than TASM2/FF...... This is going to be hated by public AND fans......

This is the last time that I buy tickets for the whole weekend before watching the movie KrLab8m.gif

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Flixster was 86% this morning. My guess is a finish in the 60's. Man of Steel is at 76%.