CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Watched the movie and is was good, those reviewers are going to get blown out when makes more than Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

Seriously these crictics are out of touch.

China will be minus 100 from aou

Not happening 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Why do people think critics will care what this makes, a critic's job is to review the movie not judge its commercial appeal

(I know the answer this is a rhetorical question, don't @ me)

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

It means fanboys liked it.  Trying to predict the OW from that is like trying to predict the OW off of fan previews.

I'll wait until tonight to determine if it will meet or beat my expectations. (160-170)

Exactly. Preview reactions to me are almost as meaningless as cinemascore, especially for a movie like this. When you have people coming to the movie dressed up as characters from said movie, and had their tickets booked months in advance, initial reactions arent going to be so honest. 

Let me see how fans and GA drive business tonight and Saturday, and see how Sunday and Monday drops fare, then we can start discussiong real WOM power.

Though to me the 3rd weekend is really the tell tell, because by then the initial hype rush has passed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jb007 said:

I have analyzed that aspect many times. But I did not see the evidence of the "Missing Auds" being absorbed subsequent to first weekend. If anybody else has something halfway concrete about the impact of that, I would love to see that.

The impact of death like Ledger's was real, even though it is hard to quantify it to a ballpark number. The same with FF7. WW gross went to 1516 up from 788 for FF6.

Baumer hates TDKR and feels the only reason it got close to a 2.8 multiplier (which is actually great for a superhero sequel that hit $30m at midnight) is because of people who skipped it on opening weekend showing up later to help boost the multiplier. Keep in mind Avengers had amazing WOM and barely got past a 3.0 multiplier. I can think of a bunch of X-Men movies with better WOM than TDKR that ended up with worse multipliers despite less midnight frontloading.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Exactly. Preview reactions to me are almost as meaningless as cinemascore, especially for a movie like this. When you have people coming to the movie dressed up as characters from said movie, and had their tickets booked months in advance, initial reactions arent going to be so honest. 

Let me see how fans and GA drive business tonight and Saturday, and see how Sunday and Monday drops fare, then we can start discussiong real WOM power.

Though to me the 3rd weekend is really the tell tell, because by then the initial hype rush has passed.

Please stop making sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Baumer hates TDKR and feels the only reason it got close to a 2.8 multiplier (which is actually great for a superhero sequel that hit $30m at midnight) is because of people who skipped it on opening weekend showing up later to help boost the multiplier. Keep in mind Avengers had amazing WOM and barely got past a 3.0 multiplier. I can think of a bunch of X-Men movies with better WOM than TDKR that ended up with worse multipliers despite less midnight frontloading.

Xmen movies have always been front loaded. 

Anyway will try to look at other movies released in July for further analysis. :)

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Wait how does baumer hate TDKR but loves BVS? ??

I thought they were both similarly long and dull. I guess you could argue that Batman was an actual character in this one whereas in TDKR he's just kind of there

• Like 1

I don't see the point in hating Snyder. If you have plenty of venom for whatever reason, aim it at WB the studio for giving him these gigs in the first place (haven't seen this movie yet but I thought he sounded like a really strange choice to make a Superman movie when he was first announced and 5 something years later, nothing has occurred that has convinced me otherwise).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jb007 said:

Xmen movies have always been front loaded. 

Anyway will try to look at other movies released in July for further analysis. :)

I actually think there is some validity to Baumer's theory. If the movie had a 2.2 like Spidey 3, then I could understand your point about not making up any ground for lost opening weekend audience. FWIW, Potter 8 in the same late July spot as TDKR had a 2.25 multiplier after massive midnight number and damn near 100% approval from critics and audiences.

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Wait how does baumer hate TDKR but loves BVS? ??

He loves Michael Bay and I think Snyder is very much out of the Bay school of blockbuster filmmaking.

Edited by redfirebird2008

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Watched the movie and is was good, those reviewers are going to get blown out when makes more than Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

Seriously these crictics are out of touch.

I agree with most RT scores for superhero movies.

Though I think averaging the critic score and the audience score gives the best indication of a movie's quality or entertainment value outside of my own personal opinion.

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I thought they were both similarly long and dull. I guess you could argue that Batman was an actual character in this one whereas in TDKR he's just kind of there

In TDKR Nolan embraced the Original 4 plan of Batman being a secondary character in his own movie.

• Like 3