CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

On 945 IMAX screens globally, Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent powered up a $36M frame for the best opening outside the summer and Christmas periods, as well as the largest March opening ever for the large format company. It’s the 3rd strongest worldwide start ever behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($47.5M) and Jurassic World ($44.1M). China accounted for $7M out of $18M offshore on 557 screens. In both North America and China, IMAX locations occupied nine of the top 10 engagements, a first for the company. Saturday’s $5.4M provided the 2nd biggest single-day international gross ever.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

DC is huge in Brazil huh.

Elsewhere, Brazil is now the biggest opening weekend of all time with an estimated $12.2M on 1,330 screens, garnering a 67% share of the Top 5 films in the market.

MoS ended with 16M in Brazil. With exchange rates taken into account, the BvS opening may actually be bigger than MoS total in local currency.

• Like 2

Just now, Water Bottle said:

An Easter special?

It is exactly that. I am so scared :kitschjob: 

It is apparently directly connected to Ice Age 4, WTF :sadben: 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Sounds like the "Age of Ultron was a disappointment" claims.   (191 OW, 459 dom, 1.4 bil WW)   Yeah....sooo disappointing.

Lol, I remember when some people online were proclaiming that film to be a flop. Talk about overexpectations.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Industry people will pay attention if it falls below HP8 simply because Time Warner won't be able to claim it was their biggest opening ever.

I know, I was being facetious.   The 28% drop that was projected for Sunday is reasonable based on F7's Easter last year.   But I noted yesterday in this thread that it was the exception, not the norm, and it will likely be over 30%, maybe even closer to 35%.    So I fully expect BvS end up below HP:DH2 and #8 all time for opening weekends.    Have since the Thursday numbers were reported, actually (page 111 of the thread if you're curious).  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

If they do that and get the orginal cast back the movie will do gangbusters 2 billion WW would be on the table

I am sure they will. Radcliffe's and Grint's careers aren't so hot and even if Emma is doing way better, if JK asks them to return they will. And seeing how the fanbase will reach enormous levels at that point (the fact that the books are still in Top 3 NYT bestsellers means that HP fans already buy the books for their kids). It is basically SW 2.0, with generations upon generations of fans. I wanna see the day when @Telemachos brings little Tele to his first HP movie in theaters. :wub:

• Like 1

Per-screen averages for IMAX were super-sized: France, $50K; UK, $55K; Netherlands, $57K; Ecuador, $65K; Australia, $77K; Hong Kong, $95K; and UAE, $105K. The 3D format was also huge across the board, accounting for 59% of the weekend and led by China (98%), Germany (88%), Brazil (81%), Russia (55%), and France (51%).

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They are most likely going to wait until DanRad is old enough. Besides, if Fantastic Beasts is a hit then Rowling will continue giving them riches for the next few years.

Perfect if it keeps DC safely within the WB sphere where it belongs.

WB just need to work on a slate of animation and other family friendly films beyond Lego. Add a big screen spy franchise and outer space franchise and they are unstoppable. IMO.

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

The truth is we are about to discover how hurtful AOU was in a few weeks with TA 2.5.

It will have 0 effect on Civil War. 0. 

Civil War will explode based on fantastic marketing campaign and hype around Spider-Man. 

• Like 5

I really cannot believe this because I never liked a Snyder movie and I was so disappointed with MoS. But I went to see this movie because my little sister really wanted to see it and I actually really liked it.

It's no masterpiece it has incoherences and yeah, I think he should have dropped the dreams but I liked it a lot. I think it has this epic feeling and for the first time I actually liked Superman! I'm really excited for The Justice League now.

And really the critics??? So, Star Wars was really good and BvsS is shit? It makes no sense.

Edited by iluvjuanki
  • Like 2

There were record-breaking bows across Asia, making BvS the biggest WB opening of all time in Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam. The combined tally for nine markets (excluding China and Japan) is $32.3M.

Latin America also broke regional records as the No. 1 WB opening of all time at $16.7M in 10 markets, including Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Peru, Puerto Rico and Venezuela