WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

DC may get a jump on Marvel in 2016 but Marvel got a jump on DC waaaaay back in 2008 with Iron Man 1.

People are either sick of the relentless darkness (and those rain!!!) of Snyder's vision or Marvel seems to

able to capture GA imagination when it comes to Extended Universe the way Apple did with smartphone business & apps/music. 

Look at the rest of the iPhone competition: Nokia, dead. Motorola, bought by the Chinese. Blackberry, on life support.

HTC, panicking everyday now.  People tend to shy away from folks who adopt the "me too" attitude.

The first, the pioneers, the crazy ones, and they are winning....unless CA: CW continues with GA's distaste of superheroes, call it fatigue.

Maybe it is just this guy:

bvs-dawn-of-justice-trailer-reveals-doom

8 minutes ago, Chinoiserie said:

Families have probbaly heard how dark the film is and the rest the bad reviews. 

While I thought yesturday that the 18.5 sounded suprisingly high I had to check what the source of this 15 was and had go back so many pages with a phone to page 24 whatever it was. The headline really needs to be updated.

I hope it never gets updated. The reactions will be gold later today.

1 minute ago, zackzack said:

DC may get a jump on Marvel in 2016 but Marvel got a jump on DC waaaaay back in 2008 with Iron Man 1.

People are either sick of the relentless darkness (and those rain!!!) of Snyder's vision or Marvel seems to

able to capture GA imagination when it comes to Extended Universe the way Apple did with smartphone business & apps/music. 

Look at the rest of the iPhone competition: Nokia, dead. Motorola, bought by the Chinese. Blackberry, on life support.

HTC, panicking everyday now.  People tend to shy away from folks who adopt the "me too" attitude.

The first, the pioneers, the crazy ones, and they are winning....unless CA: CW continues with GA's distaste of superheroes, call it fatigue.

The problem with that analogy is that Apple still has a massive competitor in Samsung, whose smartphones often outsell Apple's and are considered by many to be much better.

(But I take your overall point.)

Rth has called 15.5-16 'wishful thinking'. So am using his 15m Friday.

The Sat and Sun here are optimistic but still,

15 + 22.5 (+50%) + 15 (-33.3%) = 52.5m

Realistically I don't see it going north of 51m (or below 48m).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I hope it never gets updated. The reactions will be gold later today.

Very curious to see how some are going to spin it. 

Competition going forward: 

Saturday - Final Four
Sunday - The Walking Dead 90 Minute Season Finale (which is going to want to be watched live by a lot of people due to big spoilers)/Wrestlemania

Edited by somebody85

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Right, but as far as cancelled, I never meant the whole universe. I mean the solo movies like Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman could be delayed (maybe cancelled). Ben Afflecks Batman will continue and obviously so will Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman. But the rest.....

If they have any sort of good sense and I believe whatever resistance to pull the plug on Snyder left the building this weekend there, they'll put Justice League on hold and move forward with the Ben Affleck's Batman film.

Aquaman shouldn't be delayed, but getting people that understand these characters to make them fresh and appealing to the audiences, the potential for a great Aquaman film exists and Wan is a talented enough director to pull it off that. 

They have a great cast and a terrible director. What they need to do is take the bad out of the equation and bring someone to brainstorm a solution for them where they are going for in the future, basically make whatever mess Snyder planned to make sense and what doesn't work just completely disregard it. 

I wouldn't be pissed to see the Cyborg film changed into a Teen Titans film, but I think that with the right director and script it can work. All they need to do is get people there with an actual clear vision of who these characters are and stop trying to reinvent the wheel. 

Oh I agree with you on the first point but pretty much every negative media for this movie has gone viral. A drop that huge would be a big headline especially for a slow entertainment weekend. Sad Aflleck had 1,000 views when I saw it. They sure picked that up quick and it skyrocketed to 20 million.

If it really does fall this hard, I'll be so stunned not to see it reported on the front page of every major entertainment website. Because it didn't just only fall here, it fell everywhere. 86% in China!

It's still pretty easy to spin this weekend positive. "Batman, Superman destroy competition, stay #1 at the box office"

Frankly, that gets more clicks than the harder to explain "70% drop in sales"

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Rth has called 15.5-16 'wishful thinking'. So am using his 15m Friday.

The Sat and Sun here are optimistic but still,

15 + 22.5 (+50%) + 15 (-33.3%) = 52.5m

Realistically I don't see it going north of 51m (or below 48m).

I don't know if Sunday will be that high though, it had way less competition today. The events going on share the same audience who would see this movie too.

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

It's still pretty easy to spin this weekend positive. "Batman, Superman destroy competition, stay #1 at the box office"

Frankly, that gets more clicks than the harder to explain "70% drop in sales"

Yeah they could but that isn't what happened with Ant Man. I remember those headlines. "Marvel has lowest opener in "however many years". They didn't care it was #1.

I dunno, I can't predict the future haha. I guess we'll see on Sunday.

7 minutes ago, zackzack said:

The OW despite awful reviews and coming off a divisive MoS shows people were jazzed for this and were willing to give it a chance. It's the DARKNESS! and um... unusual character depictions that are throwing people off. It can still bounce back. Fox was probably at a worse point post-Origins but their XCU is chugging along just fine, being the longest running cinematic universe, convoluted timelines and all. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I don't know if Sunday will be that high though, it had way less competition today. The events going on share the same audience who would see this movie too.

You are right. F7 had an 18.8m Friday and a 15.2m Sunday. I don't expect BVS to have a 15m Sunday after a 15m Friday, but wanted to be very optimistic to see the uber-high end weekend number.

But 35%+ drop on Sunday should happen and it will go below 14m for sure, if the Friday is 15m.

Edited by a2knet

There are people who a few days ago thought this would have a 70m 2nd weekend. The expectations vs reality for this movie is brutal.

200m(some wanted 225) vs 166m

70m vs 49-48m

Not good folks.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

This will blow up like a bomb on this film this Saturday. The whole bombing thing has become an event on itself, it's the pay off from the negative reviews and the negative buzz. Like Rth said:

Wishful thinking. I won't be surprised with stuff as low as under $20m from Saturday and under 10m for Sunday. 

The DCCU will never be close to half of what the MCU have achieved. It is not only the Snyder effect or the dark tone. Marvel is a Disney propriety but in the other hand is independent and run by true comic book's  professionals and they have a clear strategy of making SH movies.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zackzack said:

tumblr_limls0QWrV1qgzqnco1_500.gif

• Like 9