kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: 23.48 M THE BOSS | 23.44 M BVS: DOJ | 14.35 M ZOOTOPIA | 5.10 M HARDCORE HENRY

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Eye in the Sky is terrific. Reviews are great and the movie is a WOM hit. I saw it last Monday.

Monday.

Hmm. Might check it out if I have time. Probably won't tho..

And haha, I was kinda joking on Jungle Book backgrounds; cool to hear we're actually getting them!

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

They never had the rights. Marvel was financing their own films (and owned the rights to the MCU characters) starting with Iron Man, Paramount was just distributing them. When Disney bought Marvel, Paramount still had a distribution deal, until The Avengers (which was the first distributed by Disney). So now Disney filling owns the film rights by owning Marvel.

But Disney/Marvel did indeed have to negotiate Paramount out of it...

1 hour ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Having John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan wouldn't have helped the GL film. That film was doomed by it's bad script. 

Having the first African American hero would've boosted the OW gross, and also would've added a nostalgia factor. Then again, it could've killed the idea of any African American until Black Panther - OH WAIT

1 minute ago, hasanahmad said:

according to google trends

BvS will make 9.5 million today

The Boss is collapsing . it remains flat with 8.5 million

If BvS does even close to that I'll change my user name to whatever SWXII wants for 1 month. 

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

A $300 million bump in the road?  Jonah Hex was a bomb, but didn't coast that much...so a "bump in the road" (and it shouldn't have been made).  Watchmen underperformed, and could be categorized as a "bump in the road."  Green Lantern, which, by many accounts, cost much more than WB let on, was a creatively and financially a fiasco, a full-on shanda.  A huge investment down the drain, a write-off of significant proportions for the studio, which failed to start their "cinematic universe."

My point was more it was far from their first/last failure in this space.

Just now, Macleod said:

But Disney/Marvel did indeed have to negotiate Paramount out of it...

Paramount and Marvel had a distribution agreement through Phase 1 I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Paramount was only getting ~10% of the gross from the MCU films they distributed, plus The Avengers, even though they had nothing to with that film.

10 minutes ago, Blank Panther said:

Having the first African American hero would've boosted the OW gross, and also would've added a nostalgia factor. Then again, it could've killed the idea of any African American until Black Panther - OH WAIT

Umm... Steel?

8 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Umm... Steel?

Yeah...first where?  First "legitimate" big-screen superhero?  Blank: Blade got three films and a short-lived TV series, you know... (yes, I know it wasn't Marvel Studios)

Edited by Macleod

35 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I don't suffer fools gladly, so it's taking every ounce of will power that I have not to go on an insulting rant against some unnamed participants in this conversation. 

You and me both, friend.

One of things that really gets to me is a "when facts conflict with my opinions, fact must be disposed of" mentality, and you have a lot of that in this thread.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Yeah...first where?  First "legitimate" big-screen superhero?  Blank: Blade got three films and a short-lived TV series, you know... (yes, I know it wasn't Marvel Studios)

What does it say about me that I remembered Steel but forgot Blade?

26 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Paramount and Marvel had a distribution agreement through Phase 1 I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Paramount was only getting ~10% of the gross from the MCU films they distributed, plus The Avengers, even though they had nothing to with that film.

That 10% deal only exists for Avengers and Iron Man 3.

The others they were getting way more, I think. 

6 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

What does it say about me that I remembered Steel but forgot Blade?

Well ,Steel sort of is unforgettable.....you will want to forget it very much but you won't be able to.

And seeing one of the great NBA players make a total fool of himself in his screen debut has a certain trainwreck fascination.

Paramount was getting an 8% distribution fee up to The Avengers. It was boosted to 9% for IM3 in the agreement where Disney bought the distribution rights. Disney later bought the ancillary rights to all the previous Paramount films. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-distribute-marvels-avengers-iron-31061

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That 10% deal only exists for Avengers and Iron Man 3.

The others they were getting way more, I think. 

http://deadline.com/2010/10/disney-paramount-marvel-restructure-marketing-distruibution-deal-76534/

The Walt Disney Studios deal to buy Paramount Pictures out of the final two films of its  six-picture distribution deal with Marvel Studios amounts to the Mouse paying a premium to get cracking on its $4 billion investment in Marvel. When you break down the numbers, it’s a pretty good deal for both studios. Paramount had been earning an 8% distribution fee on the Marvel titles like Iron Man. Paramount also put up P&A and got reimbursed over time.

The $115 million will be paid in two installments–half when The Avengers is released May 4, 2012, and the other half when Iron Man 3 is released May 3, 2013. If those movies perform more strongly than expected, Paramount will earn more than $115 million advance. I’m told that Paramount is actually getting 9% on that third Iron Man movie, a reward for launching one of Hollywood’s most valuable franchises. So essentially, Paramount is getting paid without having to put up the P&A or exert the manpower that goes into releasing summer blockbusters.

If I recall correctly, the failure of IM2 to expand more O/S was a significant impetus for the deal.   Paying off Paramount to do nothing made Disney more money in the end.

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Eye in the Sky is terrific. Reviews are great and the movie is a WOM hit. I saw it last Monday.

Monday.

I had two problems with the movie.

Spoiler

One was the crying by Aaron Paul (I get that it's his first time but come on, he's a soldier) and by the British woman who didn't want them to bomb the house (she didn't care about the girl and had sneaky political motives). The other was the end credits footage of the girl with her hula hoop.

Those moments felt heavy-handed to me.

Otherwise I loved it and I hope it keeps doing well. 

tumblr_inline_mqisxdKbR81qz4rgp.gif

1 hour ago, Blank Panther said:

The GL movie would have opened with around 60m, if it hadn't been for terrible WOM. I don't think the movie would have done much better if John Stewart was the lead role. 

1 hour ago, Blank Panther said:

don't forget hancock

• Like 1