grim22

Battle of the Sexes | Fox Searchlight | Based on the Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs tennis match. Emma Stone and Steve Carrell star. Alan Cumming joins.

28 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Loving to read so much praise for Emma, I hope she'll achieve another nomination this year, on the same way that JLaw did during 2013/2014.

The actress field is stacked, gonna be hard.

This is gonna be the year of the starlet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

The actress field is stacked, gonna be hard.

This is gonna be the year of the starlet.

Sally Hawkins, Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet are the only sure bet for now, the fourth and fifth spot is open, although, Judi Dench is getting some strong buzz from the Victoria and Abdul screen at Venice.  

Fox Searchlight, for all the trouble they've had recently, made Gifted a solid performer earlier this year despite only solid-ish reviews and having no hook beyond "come see Captain America play a dad!" This is looking to get very good reviews across the board ("crowd-pleaser" is getting thrown around a lot), Stone's coming off of her Oscar glory (and Carell has a consistent box office track record too), and the theme (casual sexism) is certainly timely. Won't post massive numbers but should be good for about a $30-35M total.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Isn't it always?

Leading Actress category skews YOUNG - opposite of Leading Actor.

For years it was often that the Best Actor category was competitive while Best Actress struggled to get five reasonable nominees (see the year JLaw won for no greater evidence of that). The tide has turned in recent years, though.

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Streep is not a sure bet. Contrary to popular belief she doesn't get nominated for literally every role and we don't know how much this one gives her to do, and whether or not more competition will pop up that'll push her out. 

It's foolish to bet against Streep until it happens, especially for a film that will likely be a top 5 contender (The Post would have to be an unexpected disaster for her to be kicked out of the conversation). If anyone's looking weak at the moment, it's Dench (who is getting praised for her work in Victoria & Abdul but won't be enough for a film that's barely gonna make a splash otherwise).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Streep is not a sure bet. Contrary to popular belief she doesn't get nominated for literally every role and we don't know how much this one gives her to do, and whether or not more competition will pop up that'll push her out. 

i've read the script that's on the blacklist (it's been rewritten since but i doubt it'd be to make her part less interesting). she might win for this shit dude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Popular belief my ass.

Meryl gets a nom everytime she farts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

After snubbing Amazing Amy, and Annette Bening (that had much stronger movies behind them) to nominate Meryl for a flop summer movie that nobody even watched, I don't see how can anyone bet against her.

Adams was snubbed in favor of Ruth Negga, not Streep (the latter hit all the major precursors, the former only had a Globe nom), and Bening's movie appeared too late and didn't seem to get a substantial push from A24. Streep wasn't nominated for Hope Springs or Ricki and the Flash though, so with The Post still unseen I was just saying that the same could happen this year. But if we trust Coolio it looks like it won't. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Adams was snubbed in favor of Ruth Negga, not Streep (the latter hit all the major precursors, the former only had a Globe nom), and Bening's movie appeared too late and didn't seem to get a substantial push from A24. Streep wasn't nominated for Hope Springs or Ricki and the Flash though, so with The Post still unseen I was just saying that the same could happen this year. But if we trust Coolio it looks like it won't. 

To be fair, even in the deadest year she still wouldn't have been recognized for Ricki and the Flash (the movie had somewhat mixed reviews and was a summer release that didn't make much money, not to mention there was literally nothing "Oscar-y" about that role). She might have had a slight chance with Hope Springs with how dead that year was but the studio decided to not campaign for the movie at all so that was that.

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

After snubbing Amazing Amy, and Annette Bening (that had much stronger movies behind them) to nominate Meryl for a flop summer movie that nobody even watched, I don't see how can anyone bet against her.

20th Century Women domestic box office: 5.66m, 6.5m WW

Florence Foster Jenkins: 27.38m / 48.9m WW

In fact in term of box office for nominated best actress all movies were smaller except La la land:

19 La La Land LG/S $90,487,402 1,865 $50,461,955 3,236 $10,152,446 1,733 $151,101,803 12/09
94 Florence Foster Jenkins Par. $27,383,770 1,528 - - - - $27,383,770 8/12
124 Jackie FoxS $11,331,060 359 $2,387,647 508 $241,687 112 $13,960,394 12/02
145 Loving Focus $7,697,414 572 $12,820 33 - - $7,710,234 11/04
195 Elle SPC $1,606,158 209 $612,264 147 $123,112 147 $2,341,534 11/11

Her movie was more seen than 50% of the best actress nominated movie in the last 10 year's and i really doubt that it was a flop.

43 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

meryl = ratings. she only gets nominated for that these days

And the random academy voters care..... ? I don't think they get a cut. Or are you talking about the Globes ?

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

That is true, she has been nominated only 20 time in the last 42 year's (she had a feature film released every year after 1980), so she only get in around 50% of the time.

That said, have you seen the transformation:

427785C100000578-4709128-image-m-34_1500

In Spielberg movie, with that subject, no one unseen is a sure bet obviously, but Streep in Paper is almost as close as it can get.

Edited by Barnack