CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

3 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Can you please name some examples of "box office has broken all the rules"? Like at least one example pls.

Sure thing.  

Jurassic World - Largest opening and $652m domestic

The Force Awakens - Largest opening ever and $940m domestic

Deadpool - $130m opening and largest R rated film in history

Is that a good enough start?

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

I dunno about that. Look at the schedule for 2017: (w/ my predictions)

Disney

Beauty and the Beast - 150M

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 400M

Pirates 5 - 200M

Cars 3 - 150M

Thor 3 - 200M

Star Wars 8 - 500M

1600 + nothing else since they only do tentpoles

Fox

Maze Runner 3 - 100M

Wolverine - 150M

Kingsman 2 - 200M

Planet of the Apes - 250M

Alien Covenant - 200M

Croods 2 - 250M

(Untitled) Dreamworks - 150M

(Untitled) X Men - 200M

1500 + other smaller films

There is a Coco animation movie and another untitiled Disney fairy tale live action planned in 2017 as per BOM 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?view2=upcoming&view=company&studio=buenavista.htm

Edited by Ent

19 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Disney is the powerhouse now... They have the Marvel films, Star Wars, the live action adaption movies and animated movies. They'll win the most $$ a year for a long long time time.

MCU

SW

Pixar

WDAS 

Fairy Tale (live action)

POTC

Disney has six gems now. Their conquest cannot be stopped.

aEGih2m.jpg

• Like 11

Just now, syntaxerror said:

You're lowballing Beauty and the Beast, Pirates and Star Wars.

Lowballing Pirates? The series has been tumbling in similar fashion to Transformers, 200M is a perfectly reasonable early prediction. And given that Beauty and the Beast is a musical... I would put it somewhere between Into The Woods (125M) and Cinderella (200M). 

These are early quick guestimates for movies which don't even have posters let alone a trailer or any real information. Unless a prediction is just batshit insane, I don't see how you can claim someone is "lowballing" or whatever. They are just my predicts.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Fantastic Beasts is do 90/250. Just fine. WB will move forward with the second movie.

Fantastic beasts will open to less than the jungle book? Ahahahaha....don't make me laugh. That would be beyond disappointing. 

Just now, Ent said:

There is a Coco animation movie and another untitiled Disney fairy tale live action planned in 2017 as per BOM :

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?view2=upcoming&view=company&studio=buenavista.htm

Apologies, I didn't see COCO on there. And that last one can be safely ignored. Disney may be strong but they are not stupid, they are not going to open their 200M family film against their own Star Wars.

Just now, grey ghost said:

Globally it should be one of WB's bigger movies.

Harry Potter is huge overseas.

It will decrease from Potter OS as well. For obvious reasons. Either way it still should do something like 800M WW so no problem :lol: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Well that's the same drop the original SW had to Empire. Just being conservative. Regardless, my point was that other studios can still compete. 

Only by releasing way more movies.

4 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Sure thing.  

Jurassic World - Largest opening and $652m domestic

The Force Awakens - Largest opening ever and $940m domestic

Deadpool - $130m opening and largest R rated film in history

Is that a good enough start?

So you're claiming "history is being rewritten" but are just going to ignore historic inflation. Cool.

Your point about Jurassic World, how is that "breaking the rules"? It opened to identical number as Avengers 3 years ago, and made roughly the same overall. It did EXTREMELY well. But other movies have done extremely well too - how is it rulebreaking? Do you know what the word "rule" means?

Other movies have sold more than Star Wars. Including the original Star Wars.

And Deadpool is not the largest R rated film in history, Passion of the Christ made 370M back in 2004. Check yourself before you rek yourself.

2 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

So you're claiming "history is being rewritten" but are just going to ignore historic inflation. Cool.

Your point about Jurassic World, how is that "breaking the rules"? It opened to identical number as Avengers 3 years ago, and made roughly the same overall. It did EXTREMELY well. But other movies have done extremely well too - how is it rulebreaking? Do you know what the word "rule" means?

Other movies have sold more than Star Wars. Including the original Star Wars.

And Deadpool is not the largest R rated film in history, Passion of the Christ made 370M back in 2004. Check yourself before you rek yourself.

Lol.  They guy who completely ignores inflation to say a prediction is crazy is now falling back on inflation (even though he is wrong there as well).  

To address your post, Star Wars broke all the rules.  I'm guessing guys like yourself were screaming about how NO MOVIE IN DECEMBER HAS EVER OPENED ABOVE $84M!!

That was the "rule" before Star Wars came along and opened up to $247m and broke all the rules and records.  

• Like 11

Just now, nilephelan said:

To address your post, Star Wars broke all the rules.  I'm guessing guys like yourself were screaming about how NO MOVIE IN DECEMBER HAS EVER OPENED ABOVE $84M!!

Rather than talking out of your arse, why don't you look back in the threads from a year or two ago and read all my posts explaining why the December record does not matter. Stop telling me what my opinions are even when I've literally never seen you on this forum before.

Just now, Treetrunk Special said:

Rather than talking out of your arse, why don't you look back in the threads from a year or two ago and read all my posts explaining why the December record does not matter. Stop telling me what my opinions are even when I've literally never seen you on this forum before.

Stop moving the goalposts and trying to pretend that the box office hasn't been following traditional form the last 18 months and I gave multiple examples showing that, or you can pretend it is acting as normal and people can laugh at you.  

• Like 9