Impact

Best visual effects-2016

6 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

They tend to go with big-budget Oscar bait and/or well-reviewed blockbusters for this category, and I think IDR will be left on the outside looking in

Not always, Transformers, T3, Snow White and the Huntsman and Maleficent were all nominated for this oscar. besides I think ID2, will be better recieved then those movies. in fact I'm not an Independence Day fan and I think the movie looks cool. 

Edited by Kalo

12 hours ago, Kalo said:

Not always, Transformers, T3, Snow White and the Huntsman and Maleficent were all nominated for this oscar. besides I think ID2, will be better recieved then those movies. in fact I'm not an Independence Day fan and I think the movie looks cool. 

Maleficent wasn't nominated in this category.

This category usually goes for films that are contenders (especially as we saw last year with no less than three Best Picture nominees) or the biggest hits. The Jungle Book is the only movie locked for a nomination among movies seen so far based on box office and reception.

On 4/23/2016 at 11:52 AM, filmlover said:

Maleficent wasn't nominated in this category.

This category usually goes for films that are contenders (especially as we saw last year with no less than three Best Picture nominees) or the biggest hits. The Jungle Book is the only movie locked for a nomination among movies seen so far based on box office and reception.

Your Right, Maleficent was nominated for best costume, my bad. and yeah it usually skews that way. but not always. 

On 25 avril 2016 at 6:35 AM, Impact said:

After Ex Machina beating 3 BP nominees and a major blockbuster in this category last year...I have no clue what to say now.

Ex-Machina won because of Vikander Full Frontal, THAT was the biggest special effect of the movie.

These effects could have been done with any intern from a mid-tier VFX company.

I think Jungle Book has this one in the bag. I would be really surprised if anything is better at this point. Rogue One will for sure be nominated. Everything else is really a toss-up

Big Frontrunners:

The Jungle Book

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Other Likely Candidates:

Arrival (Story of your Life)

The BFG

Captain America: Civil War

Deepwater Horizon

Doctor Strange

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

A Monster Calls

Passengers