Impact

Best visual effects-2016

4 hours ago, Rorschach said:

I think Jungle Book has this one in the bag. I would be really surprised if anything is better at this point. Rogue One will for sure be nominated. Everything else is really a toss-up

Big Frontrunners:

The Jungle Book

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Other Likely Candidates:

Arrival (Story of your Life)

The BFG

Captain America: Civil War

Deepwater Horizon

Doctor Strange

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

A Monster Calls

Passengers

Star Trek Beyond

Possible but Unlikely: 

Alice Through the Looking Glass

Assassin's Creed

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 

Ben-Hur

Independence Day: Resurgence

The Legend of Tarzan

Suicide Squad

Warcraft

X-Men: Apocalypse

Other possible ones could be that you can add: Pete's Dragon, Miss Peregrine's Home for Children, Ninja Turtles 2, Ghostbusters, Bourne (highly unlikely, but could be in the shortlist-remember Bond and Mission Impossible have both been mentioned multiple times there), Huntsman 2 (highly doubtful), Ouiji 2 (wait wrong award show)

33 minutes ago, Impact said:

Other possible ones could be that you can add: Pete's Dragon, Miss Peregrine's Home for Children, Ninja Turtles 2, Ghostbusters, Bourne (highly unlikely, but could be in the shortlist-remember Bond and Mission Impossible have both been mentioned multiple times there), Huntsman 2 (highly doubtful), Ouiji 2 (wait wrong award show)

Miss Peregrine and Pete's Dragon are really the only ones I would add. All the others weren't really that great effects-wise (Bourne I could see getting ignored).

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I definitely don't think Jungle Book is locked; Ex Machina proved that most CGI=/=the best. I'd say Strange wins right now. 

I could see Doctor Strange being nominated but not necessarily winning. My choices would probably be Jungle Book, Rogue One, Doctor Strange, Arrival, and Star Trek Beyond.

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

hollywood film awards is basically a fake awards show voted for by one guy who picks movies he hasn't even seen yet. just publicity. even golden globe voters would be embarrassed by that guy.

Gotta have something on a slow news day.

Arrival feels like the most likely winner. While it's pretty clear the nominees often get a lot of big blockbuster types, the winner tends to be something that has more academy appeal. They want films that look good, yes, but they also want them to be good, in an important way. 

So if the nominees are, oh, Strange, Rogue One, Jungle Book, some other blockbuster and Arrival, well, Arrival is the one that hits the right buttons. 

• Like 1

There are 4 sure nominees

The Jungle Book

Doctor Strange

Arrival

Rogue One

The last spot is still wide open

Fantastic Beasts

BFG

Passengers

Monster Calls

Civil War