WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates (Page 30): The Jungle Book - 60.8M (96M OS) | The Huntsman: Winter's War - 20.1M | Barbershop 3 - 10.8M | Zootopia - 6.6M | BvS - 5.5M

Well when it comes to Liv Tyler, all due respect to her I never really quite understood what was so great about her except that she was Steven Tyler's daughter. She was good in Lord of the Rings and she was fine in  Arnageddon but really what else has she really done?

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

Well when it comes to Liv Tyler, all due respect to her I never really quite understood what was so great about her except that she was Steven Tyler's daughter. She was good in Lord of the Rings and she was fine in  Arnageddon but really what else has she really done?

The Leftovers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

She's the most interesting love interest in the MCU

Just now, Baumer said:

Well when it comes to Liv Tyler, all due respect to her I never really quite understood what was so great about her except that she was Steven Tyler's daughter. She was good in Lord of the Rings and she was fine and arm again but really what else has she really done?

I've never found her to be a great actress (at least until HBO's The Leftovers- lord, who knew she could be so scary?) but it does seem unfortunate for her to say that she's treated like "a second class citizen" by the industry these days. And she hardly seems to be alone there too, as Maggie Gyllenhaal (an Oscar-nominated actress, no less) indicated in that interview (also: Olivia Wilde, who was told that she was "too old" to play the Margot Robbie role in The Wolf of Wall Street even though she's more age-appropriate). It's sad to realize, given all of these recent statements, that the reason we hardly ever see much of these actresses these days is because they simply can't find work.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, johnboy3434 said:

Rising ticket prices is, I feel, the stronger argument. If ticket prices had inflated "normally" since 1989, the average price now would be $7.63. Instead, it's $8.43. Yeah, 10.5% may not sound like a huge overprice, but considering how many tickets are bought and how many movies are seen by the average family, it can add up quickly.

Attendance is also down from the high of 2003. It has to even out.

26 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

8.43? Its 12 dollars here and I paid 35 dollars for 2 imax tickets for jungle book matinee yesterday.

For a non matinee weekend show here in upstate N.Y. at Regal it's $13.50 I think, IMAX is $19. Prices are out of control. 

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That's not the point I was making at all. LOL of course these people still have careers. My point is that for some, their seem to go up only to quickly go down. Look at Sam Worthington, star of the former biggest movie of all-time, for instance.

And mostly because actors themselves have talked about what a cutthroat business that will chew you up just to spit you out at the earliest convenience it is. I felt sad for Liv Tyler last year when I read an interview with her that asked her why her career has slowed down so much the past couple of years and her answer was that it wasn't by choice so much as the fact that at 38, she can't find work.

Avatar is still the highest grossing movie of all time OS and WW. It just lost the home title in Murica.

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 1

I'm not oblivious to the uphill battle that a lot of women face in Hollywood but the one thing these people have to realize is that acting is a job just like anything else. They don't have a right to act. It's a privilege just like any job that you have. And if somebody can do that job better than you can or in this case sell more tickets or appeal to a certain demographic then what can you do? That's just the way it goes. And if Liv Tyler wasn't Steven Tyler's daughter would she have even broken into Hollywood? Nepotism can carry you only so far I guess.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I'm not oblivious to the uphill battle that a lot of women face in Hollywood but the one thing these people have to realize is that acting is a job just like anything else. They don't have a right to act. It's a privilege just like any job that you have. And if somebody can do that job better than you can or in this case sell more tickets or appeal to a certain demographic then what can you do? That's just the way it goes. And if Liv Tyler wasn't Steven Tyler's daughter would she have even broken into Hollywood? Nepotism can carry you only so far I guess.

True. The problem is that there is only a certain number of roles, hence why the whole diversity issue has come to the forefront recently. Even Hemsworth himself faces this since he isn't the only young white dude named "Chris" within just the Cinematic Universe he's attached to, let alone all of Hollywood, and there's only so much room for one "type" of actor.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Baumer said:

It's a privilege just like any job that you have. And if somebody can do that job better than you can or in this case sell more tickets or appeal to a certain demographic then what can you do?

The market isn't really deciding, though. Execs and/or casting agencies are. They routinely pair 50-60 actors with actresses who're 25-30 years younger -- not because they're "better actresses" (though of course all of this is subjective) but because they've decided that a 40-year-old woman isn't theoretically attractive or realistically plausible as a character.

I'm fairly sure that most of the GA would still find Marisa Tomei, Diane Lane, or Rachel Weitz plenty attractive and great, in many roles. But at this point, any roles they're offered are for grandmothers. Literally. They won't even be considered for a role as a strong wife to a character who's in his 40s-50s. Those roles go to some ingenue in their early 20s.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The market isn't really deciding, though. Execs and/or casting agencies are. They routinely pair 50-60 actors with actresses who're 25-30 years younger -- not because they're "better actresses" (though of course all of this is subjective) but because they've decided that a 40-year-old woman isn't theoretically attractive or realistically plausible as a character.

I'm fairly sure that most of the GA would still find Marisa Tomei, Diane Lane, or Rachel Weitz plenty attractive and great, in many roles. But at this point, any roles they're offered are for grandmothers. Literally. They won't even be considered for a role as a strong wife to a character who's in his 40s-50s. Those roles go to some ingenue in their early 20s.

And you are right.  I am not disputing that.  But it's a competitive business.  Look you know better than anyone here how Hollywood works.  I think I have an idea but really I don;'t know anything except what I have read over the years.  So everything I say here is really just me talking out of my behind.  Having said that, acting is a job.  And many actors are very well compensated for their roles.  And if their careers are over before they should be that sucks.  But it's like that in sports too.  Younger people come along and take jobs.  I know there's a difference between sports and acting, but if younger people come along and take the jobs, then what can you do?  I would personally like to see Tomei and especially Lane in many more roles....both are stunning actresses.  But as I said, they are well compensated for what they do.  They can always get into real estate or flip burgers for a living. :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baumer said:

And you are right.  I am not disputing that.  But it's a competitive business.  Look you know better than anyone here how Hollywood works.  I think I have an idea but really I don;'t know anything except what I have read over the years.  So everything I say here is really just me talking out of my behind.  Having said that, acting is a job.  And many actors are very well compensated for their roles.  And if their careers are over before they should be that sucks.  But it's like that in sports too.  Younger people come along and take jobs.  I know there's a difference between sports and acting, but if younger people come along and take the jobs, then what can you do?  I would personally like to see Tomei and especially Lane in many more roles....both are stunning actresses.  But as I said, they are well compensated for what they do.  They can always get into real estate or flip burgers for a living. :)

I get your sports analogy, but when a young star replaces an older one, it's because they are more athletically gifted. They can do more than the older guy. They have better reflexes, which translates directly to how they can impact a game. But it's not the same with acting. Actually, you could argue in most cases the reverse is true -- you become better as an actor the more experiences (and life experiences) you get.

Ageism hits actors regardless of gender (though the A-list guys are certainly better off than everyone else, and the women generally get hit harder). And the problem with using high-profile A-listers as examples is yes, of course they're well-compensated. But the thousands of lesser-known actresses who aren't get hammered just as hard (or harder!) by the age thing. If you're a working actor who's in their mid-to-late-30s and you maybe get a small walk-on role in a movie (for a week or two of work), and maybe a couple of appearances in a TV show (another few weeks of work)... it's hard to make a living doing that. How does it help us when these performers -- regardless of talent? -- are driven from the industry because there's no jobs for them?

None of this really affects you or me except as an audience-member. But doesn't it kind of suck for us too, that these various talented people we enjoy seeing are getting shoved to the side for literally no other reason than a casting director or producer would rather fuck some hot young thing? (Not to say that they actually do fuck them, but honestly the "who would I like to fuck?" question is often a deciding factor for roles). And what does it mean when we're slowly headed towards a point where there's gonna be no major roles portrayed by a 35-50 year-old woman?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Fuck.  That's it.  I'm done with Ice Cube.  First Ride Along 2 and now this?  He's killing my Derby. :rant:

No way BS3 is down 60%. 

92% RT. That's BS 

Give deadline a calculator and they try to turn a TV on with it. It'll be closer to 10 than 8

• Like 1