CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

11 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Any particular reason we don't get preview numbers (estimates etc) earlier than we do? Totals don't come in after midnights anymore so shouldn't be too much of an excuse.

It's not instantaneous -- final data won't trickle in for a few more hours, and when even a slight adjustment could mean some egg on your face, it's understandable while studios prefer to wait until everyone's reported in. Plus, ya know, why pay that night premium for employees if you don't have to?

Man, it's all about perspective, because last year, I remember thinking that if Civil War opened to like $120M, a sizable increase from TWS, that would be a win for Marvel. 

That was before there was any real hype.

And now, we're considering $200M+

Unreal

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

Man, it's all about perspective, because last year, I remember thinking that if Civil War opened to like $120M, a sizable increase from TWS, that would be a win for Marvel. 

Unreal

I thought it would open to 120m as recently as 3 months ago.

This is such a great win for Marvel.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's not instantaneous -- final data won't trickle in for a few more hours, and when even a slight adjustment could mean some egg on your face, it's understandable while studios prefer to wait until everyone's reported in. Plus, ya know, why pay that night premium for employees if you don't have to?

I get the overhead aspect of it, data flows in so fast these days I guess is my counter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Unreal

Exactly.  Really, 170M for this film in and of itself is a win, especially if you consider that TWS opened to <100M.

Having seen it now, I really want this to hit 200M+.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

I get the overhead aspect of it, data flows in so fast these days I guess is my counter.

Sure, it does. Rth told me some of the process awhile back, but tbh I don't remember all the details. But basically while data flows in fast, it does depend on the theater chains -- big national chains report pretty quickly, but there's lots of smaller, regional ones and indies that can be slower, especially if they're not processing stuff through some big vendor. And each studio has their own flavor of tracking/data software, it's not like there's one absolute standardized thing that everyone uses (though you'd think that'd be the case!).

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Unreal

I never understood why people under estimated this film. It is basically Avengers 3. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I never understood why people under estimated this film. It is basically Avengers 3. 

Like I said a few months ago, there are some people like me who went to see The Winter Soldier solely because Black Widow was in it.

Now I can't speak for everyone, but I know for sure that I am not the only one on this planet who had this thought process.

Now we have Civil War which has about 12 characters with respectable screen time that many people love...

No reason for this to make TWS numbers, simply because there are just too many people around the globe who will go see this movie because of that one character they like.

Bedtime. Sick kid and sick wife and getting-over-sick Tele all makes for a tiring day.

Final Thursday night sellout count for the LA area: 78 sellouts / 635 showtimes

ULTRON finished with 68 sellouts / 748 showtimes

BVS finished with 100 sellouts / 591 showtimes

My guess would be.... 27-28m? I guess potentially 30m if LA underperformed compared to the rest of the country? I don't see it going under 27m, though.

• Like 14

Hope your family gets better soon, Tele.

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

When can we expect first numbers for tonight?

If it's not within an hour or so, I'll be heading out I guess

I wouldn't expect anything until at least 7:30 AM PST, so over 9 hours from now.

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Bedtime. Sick kid and sick wife and getting-over-sick Tele all makes for a tiring day.

Final Thursday night sellout count for the LA area: 78 sellouts / 635 showtimes

ULTRON finished with 68 sellouts / 748 showtimes

BVS finished with 100 sellouts / 591 showtimes

My guess would be.... 27-28m? I guess potentially 30m if LA underperformed compared to the rest of the country? I don't see it going under 27m, though.

I only did a single count for this but DC Metro would suggest the same.  25-30 wide range, 27-28 small range

• Like 2

Sometimes when we get sent a big big movie, it will get sent with a certain rule that no "no-pay" passes can be used on them. That includes VIP passes etc, even my Staff Card :/ Civil War is apparently one of those films.

I get it with Star Wars, that movie sold out most shows for the first week (when the restriction was applied) and don't want to give out a free seat. But then the same restriction was placed for BvS, where Friday was pretty busy but Saturday and Sunday of opening weekend even was average 20% full for the day together. Sunk like a rock that one did.

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Sometimes when we get sent a big big movie, it will get sent with a certain rule that no "no-pay" passes can be used on them. That includes VIP passes etc, even my Staff Card :/ Civil War is apparently one of those films.

I get it with Star Wars, that movie sold out most shows for the first week (when the restriction was applied) and don't want to give out a free seat. But then the same restriction was placed for BvS, where Friday was pretty busy but Saturday and Sunday of opening weekend even was average 20% full for the day together. Sunk like a rock that one did.

I am glad my theater did not do that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Sure, it does. Rth told me some of the process awhile back, but tbh I don't remember all the details. But basically while data flows in fast, it does depend on the theater chains -- big national chains report pretty quickly, but there's lots of smaller, regional ones and indies that can be slower, especially if they're not processing stuff through some big vendor. And each studio has their own flavor of tracking/data software, it's not like there's one absolute standardized thing that everyone uses (though you'd think that'd be the case!).

China and Japan are pretty easy to track and project real time. I wish domestic can gets its shit together. 

China tracking at 195-200m/$30m for the day. Slightly ahead of SW7 which opened on a Saturday.  

Will be very close to a $100m weekend

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GiantCALBears said:

Any particular reason we don't get preview numbers (estimates etc) earlier than we do? Totals don't come in after midnights anymore so shouldn't be too much of an excuse.

I believe @Rth has said before that the studios don't like  preview 'estimates' to be given out before they officially announced.

For some past big movies he has been around and given out some very vague hints at what they did.

Lets hope for 30 but I won't be surprised at 25-27 

Considering how family friendly and big Marvel movies are on Sat and Sun, 25m previews would itself translate to 180m+. 25-30m would be 180-200m probably.