CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

4 hours ago, Focus said:

Second weekend record?

Just to clear this up, what I meant by that was that if you take TFA's Christmas Eve and roll it into the second weekend, this just barely clears that total. It was just a stupid thought to have while I had already caught myself thinking a 60M Saturday wasn't anything big. I was happy with the weekend anyway, but I became a lot happier once I realized just how warped my perception had become.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

so around 180m seems to be where it will land..... I new I should have let myself get carried away... my original predict before i got caught up in all the crazy stuff a few weeks back was 184m.  I let my heart get the better of my head... i so wanted it make 200m+...

wasn't to be...

Still a fantastic result 

Come on... lets see a 55m+ sunday (stuff history - history was made to be broken!) :ph34r:

Yeah I should have stuck to my 175 - 185. 

Actually the more I think about it the more of a pattern there seems to be with these giant CBM's at my theatre. They always have previews of 14-18M, OD of 45-50M, and then the rest of the weekend will go to 90-120M depending on a) WOM b ) the weather. Going to the lake or the beach or hiking is extremely popular in my town because we are considered to be extremely scenic.

1 hour ago, Iron Raf said:

Y'all sitting here going back and forth on opening  weekend numbers getting pissed. This movie has a legit shot at passing The Avengers for overall total gross. Word of mouth man. Everyone is gushing about the movie. Having Black Panther, Spidey, and Ant-Man give great performances will only boost their next movies as well. 

Disney/Marvel high-fiving right now. 

People really don't remember how outrageously good the first Avengers' WOM was? It was only 4 years ago

Btw there's a lot of talk about diminishing returns in this thread. I hope at some point people realize that's the natural life cycle of every franchise. Franchises that do spike up again do so temporarily, usually due to some novelty. Audience interest slowly trickles away, as do repeat viewings

(Sometimes it's not that slow)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Btw there's a lot of talk about diminishing returns in this thread. I hope at some point people realize that's the natural life cycle of every franchise. Franchises that do spike up again do so temporarily, usually due to some novelty. Audience interest slowly trickles away, as do repeat viewings

(Sometimes it's not that slow)

Yeah, I mean that's always been the case right, from Star Wars-Empire and Batman-Batman Returns to Spider-Man 1-2 and Avengers-Age of Ultron and so on and so forth, yet people don't seem to learn from history.

I guess JW avoided that by holding off for more than a decade. Will be interesting to see how ID4 2 performs.

Edited by The Stingray

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

So this is heading for 180m opening. Right around expectations, but a great opening nonetheless. I'd say it still has a fair chance at beating Ultron outright.

Not right around. It's under tracking. But still a big number. 

Who cares about tracking anyway ?

I am not even sure what it is exactly, seems these numbers are pulled out of someone s ass, just like everybody here.

These tracking numbers have No added value whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Who cares about tracking anyway ?

I am not even sure what it is exactly, seems these numbers are pulled out of someone s ass, just like everybody here.

These tracking numbers have No added value whatsoever.

Not like the tracking we used to get here, the tracking that Hollywood Reporter, Variety and Deadline cover.

Industry expectations. 

They do have value, Universal dialed back on Huntsman advertising spend as a result. 

So many of us got carried away and didn't go with our gut feelings. Honestly, this is the last time I'm changing my prediction based on tracking for one of this summer's big movies. I mean what is ID4:2 tracking at? Under $70 million ow? That movie is going to blow up big that weekend imo. 

Coming in not far off what Ultron made just a year ago is a spectacular opening. People absolutely see it as another Avengers movie. To come out to this big a number only a year after having already seen them all together shows there's no sign of the marvel train slowing down on movie 13. 

Wom is stronger then Ultron.

watched it with all 9 friends and they all loved it.

Last year about half were not happy with Ultron.

They liked the more serious storyline and while having a fun enjoyable time.

1 hour ago, 23IsEverywhere said:

Though I had expected or at least hopes for higher numbers, these are solid numbers.

CA1 DOM: $176.6m

CA2 first 2 weeks: $175m

IM3 OW: $174m

CA3 OW: about $180m

CA3 is pretty damn good, snuff with all these silly meltdowns.

BKB, you need to be put in check.

Or let's go to Siberia and resolve this

• Like 1

Yeh to say $180m is right around expectations is wrong though. 

In weekend predict thread here, 19 users posted predictions. 19 above $195m,  13 above $200m. 

If this does $180m, it's under tracking by $10m and user predictions by $15-20m. 

Still a massive number, but not quite in line with expectations. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh to say $180m is right around expectations is wrong though. 

In weekend predict thread here, 19 users posted predictions. 19 above $195m,  13 above $200m. 

If this does $180m, it's under tracking by $10m and user predictions by $15-20m. 

Still a massive number, but not quite in line with expectations. 

True but unlike Ultron I think most fans are happy with the film here so its not a double bad news situation like with Ultron.