CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

The only thing I remember about the Oscars, outside of the black elephant in the room, was Leo winning, Sly losing, Sam being lame, Weeknd and Gaga killing it, and Chris doing his typical standup. It was still way more interesting than last year though. I literally forgot everything that happened that year, even who was the host.

Edited by CoolEric258

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

here's my thing with the reader i think the sex stuff works and then they try to bring the holocaust shit into it and there's no more sex any more and suddenly it's about ralph fiennes teaching an old lady to read wtf. pretty lame movie. 

If you want to nominate a sex movie, find one with Sasha Grey in it.

This will probably be a pretty good year for superhero movies at the Oscars. Suicide Squad has Makeup locked, Doctor Strange should get a VFX nomination and maybe Deadpool too with the way that branch is going, and BVS will probably get into the Sound categories. 

A bit late to the Cap 1 Billing Discussion but it just finished on FX. Haley and Bucky are billed 4th and 5th respectively in the end credits, so it was just that one poster.

I don't understand why people are complaining about the Oscars on a forum dedicated to Box Office...  Stop watching the Oscars and instead watch the MTV movie awards...  people these days...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This will probably be a pretty good year for superhero movies at the Oscars. Suicide Squad has Makeup locked, Doctor Strange should get a VFX nomination and maybe Deadpool too with the way that branch is going, and BVS will probably get into the Sound categories. 

I doubt they will go with things like Deadpool or Batman v Superman (especially being a poorly-reviewed early year release) in the techs. The Jungle Book is the only movie from early in the year that's all but assured to get at least a Visual Effects nomination.

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Oscars are less relevant year by year.

I enjoyed SW7 then most of the oscar films this year. 

Just because a film is well made does not made its a enjoyable film. 

K.

I guess Transformers also makes the Oscars irrelevant because more people enjoy those movies than Spotlight.

33 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Those guys are generic supporting cast. Now the next year, he had Drexler.

LOL no. Those were all very good players including Sam Cassel.

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

Main thing I remember is Sly losing which made me sad since that was probably his last time ever getting nominated 

He might get an honorary Oscar if this losing is looked back upon as a Bacall-esque loss (her losing to Juliette Binoche was definitely a massive shock at the time). But who knows.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

K.

I guess Transformers also makes the Oscars irrelevant because more people enjoy those movies than Spotlight.

Its not that its just in the past films that won best picture got a ton of prestige or were films that audiences all saw and were draw to.

These days a best pic winner is hardly an incentive to even check out a film for the masses. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I doubt they will go with things like Deadpool or Batman v Superman (especially being a poorly-reviewed early year release) in the techs. The Jungle Book is the only movie from early in the year that's all but assured to get at least a Visual Effects nomination.

What pisses me off is that most animated features seem to be ineligible for visual effects Oscars. The only animated movie that even got a nomination is The Nightmare Before Christmas, and that was stop-motion, so it was more unique.

Jungle Book has one human actor on camera, and that alone makes it not animated feature, and therefore worthy of consideration for the Visual Effects Oscar. And while so many visual effects rely on CGI, it takes live-action to make it legitimate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Its not that its just in the past films that won best picture got a ton of prestige or were films that audiences all saw and were draw to.

These days a best pic winner is hardly an incentive to even check out a film for the masses. 

And so what? What would it take for the Oscars to be relevant anyways? Give Best Picture to a Marvel movie every year?