CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

Releasing the reviews early deflated the hype to buy tickets . If the reviews started coming in just a week before instead of a month before a lot people would say hey it's coming up this weekend rather than oh it's coming next month and then your mind wanders to other movies 

Edited by hasanahmad
  • Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

Hmm, actually it was as strong as BvS and will continue to be during Saturday and Sunday.

People seem to forget that BvS opened on Good Friday. It had extra-frontloadedness built into its OW. Comparatively, CW opened on a normal Friday in May.

• Like 1

Well at a min Civil War should do another 100 million combined on Sat and Sunday. 

So Whatever the actual Friday is + 100 million and you got a good guess for opening weekend. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

A friend of mine saw it without seeing any movie before it and understood nothing :lol:

Most were predicting 200M. 

I can't imagine trying to watch Civil War without having watched the previous movies multiple times and trying to understand what is going on.  If my parents walked in to watch this, they would have absolutely no clue what was happening.  

"Who in the hell are all these people and why are they fighting?  What is Sokovia?"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

A friend of mine saw it without seeing any movie before it and understood nothing :lol:

Most were predicting 200M. 

Do you have numbers?

lol @ the over analyzing

You can't say "It's a Captain America movie" when it's underperforming, and "Its Avengers movie" when It's overperforming
I don't think it has anything to do with the early screenings either

Sometimes the simple answer is the real answer:

AoU damaged the goods, ppl attached to previews Spidermans hence not rushing to check the new one
Most ppl never heard about War Machine / Black Panther etc.

and overall fatigue which non can rule out.

Either way 180M (or even 170M) OW is huge, ppl just got trapped by their own fantasies (aka BKB)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hasanahmad said:

Releasing the reviews early deflated the hype to buy tickets . If the reviews started coming in just a week before instead of a month before a lot people would say hey it's coming up this weekend rather than oh it's coming next month and then your mind wanders to other movies 

I don't buy that. I think having two big cbms opening before it plus the combo of ZOOTOPIA and THE JUNGLE BOOK has had an effect. The GA, particularly families, won't spend for a movie every month. This is the first time we've had FOUR 300 M films before the summer season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, straggler said:

As long as people did not overhype this into a $200 million plus opening the film is doing fine. Not everything is Starwars or JW.  

Or Avengers.

Well I say 188 million in the end which was bit over but I think a reasonable prediction.

I had a strong suspicion this wont out open AOU and then found it difficult to see a path to 200 + million as people thought. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

4 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

Had nothing to do with it, lol. The movie made what it was gonna make.

• Like 4

Civil War is also not a family film on any level.  It is the most brutal and adult of all the Marvel moves so far.  I know they threw some fun and jokes in, but that was a very serious and emotional film that left you a bit exhausted at the end.  Really good movie, but not really the romp that Avengers was.  

• Like 5

In a way this was bigger than avengers with the addition of Spider-man who got crazy good reaction both with trailers and the early screenings. Plus this is RDJ at his best since the 1st film. No way this was marketed anything like CA movie. But calling it a CA still was a mistake. Probably would have grossed 10m higher with Avengers Civil War.

Just now, nilephelan said:

Civil War is also not a family film on any level.  It is the most brutal and adult of all the Marvel moves so far.  I know they threw some fun and jokes in, but that was a very serious and emotional film that left you a bit exhausted at the end.  Really good movie, but not really the romp that Avengers was.  

Then people shouldn't expect infinity wars to top avengers ow 

Good morning I just entered this thread and now I think I'll leave because nope.

FYI this is around where I thought it would open initially. After all, it's called Captain America: Civil War, not Avengers: Civil War.

6 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Do you have numbers?

Derby average was 204M. Besides, go to the thread or BKB's club and you will see most people were predicting 200M. 

7 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I can't imagine trying to watch Civil War without having watched the previous movies multiple times and trying to understand what is going on.  If my parents walked in to watch this, they would have absolutely no clue what was happening.  

"Who in the hell are all these people and why are they fighting?  What is Sokovia?"

Absolutely agree. I told him to see at least a few movies but he didn't listened. 

5 minutes ago, Ohana said:

lol @ the over analyzing

You can't say "It's a Captain America movie" when it's underperforming, and "Its Avengers movie" when It's overperforming
I don't think it has anything to do with the early screenings either

Sometimes the simple answer is the real answer:

AoU damaged the goods, ppl attached to previews Spidermans hence not rushing to check the new one
Most ppl never heard about War Machine / Black Panther etc.

and overall fatigue which non can rule out.

Either way 180M (or even 170M) OW is huge, ppl just got trapped by their own fantasies (aka BKB)

No you can't. But I don't think anybody actually did that unless you count the whole forum as one monolithic being.

I don't know what the box office opening will be for the next Avengers movie, but given the fact you would have to invest the time and money to watch roughly 15 films to really have a clue what is going on and why, the audience is always going to be more limited.  

• Like 4