CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

I don't know what the box office opening will be for the next Avengers movie, but given the fact you would have to invest the time and money to watch roughly 15 films to really have a clue what is going on and why, the audience is always going to be more limited.  

Agreed. The Avengers will always be the peak of this universe box office-wise.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

W/the Guardians and Thanos? Not to mention the new characters introduced in CW (Spidey, Panther), the ones missing in it (Thor, Hulk), and some other characters from the TV shows and maybe not even introduced until IW? Ehh, not really.

Adding more characters doesn't equal more OW money, as we see now with CW and have seen in the past as well. Adding the biggest SH ever made little difference in CW's hopes of breaking $200m OW (If the estimates of $180m or so holds). No one cares about Hulk and Thor as characters on their own. Everyone who's a fan of them has already seen or will see CW in the upcoming weeks. Also, 90% of GA has no idea who Thanos is, so there's that...

Edited by TommyA10

This whole "is it Avengers 3 or Cap 3?" conversation truly does bring me back to the days of 2014 when Feige had just announced Phase 3's lineup. When the original "Captain America: Civil War" announcement was made, I was baffled as to why would they call it a Captain America movie. I know that the original CW comic pegs Stark as American Hitler and Cap as the good guy, so I imagined that would be the reason why it would be called Cap 3, but after seeing it, this version of CW is so much different (for the good side) from the comic since it actually humanizes BOTH sides, and therefore, it almost, almost makes no sense to call it a Cap movie. The only reason why I can see it is because this is a direct sequel to The Winter Soldier as much as it to Age Of Ultron, but even still, if you're not gonna paint Stark as a straight up villain like Mark Millar did, calling it a Cap solo is kinda stupid.

That being said, Avengers: Civil War should've been the title. Or just Marvel's Civil War. That would give it a whole different "event" type vibe to it. I get why they wouldn't wanna call it an Avengers movie, since we're just a year removed from Ultron, and before somebody says that Ultron shouldn't have even happened to begin with, I completely disagree w/that as that movie showed us more of the Avengers working together (therefore, strenghtening their ties more) and gave us 2 to 3 quarters of the direct events leading to Civil War. But calling it Captain America just to give him a trilogy was not a good idea either. Call it Civil War and that's about it. Gives the film a huge prestige feel to it for having no BS to its title - it's straight up Civil War. The comic book didn't need to be called anything else either, so why try too hard?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Derby average was 204M. Besides, go to the thread or BKB's club and you will see most people were predicting 200M. 

Absolutely agree. I told him to see at least a few movies but he didn't listened. 

Ok I don't play the derby.  The derby still does not account for most people's predictions. Not going to BKB's thread. What thread has the OW predictions? Is it the main Cap thread?

Of course people considered this to be an Avengers movie. If they thought it was a Cap movie it wouldn't have opened to 170-180m. Cap 2 only jumped around 30m from Cap 1.

As for going forward, I doubt Infinity War Pt 1 opens above this. 160m-ish  is where I see it landing.  

14 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I don't buy that. I think having two big cbms opening before it plus the combo of ZOOTOPIA and THE JUNGLE BOOK has had an effect. The GA, particularly families, won't spend for a movie every month. This is the first time we've had FOUR 300 M films before the summer season.

The fact that $160-180 million was always the realistic OW number for Captain America 3 might also have an effect.

It's doing exactly what people expected it to do before the hype went through the roof. 

People were predicting $120-140 million OW before hype kicked in. 

I don't think $450-500 million DOM would be remotely disappointing considering that's a $190 million+ increase over Cap 2's DOM 

And unless Dory or Rogue One break out, it'll likely be #1 for 2016. 

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

This whole "is it Avengers 3 or Cap 3?" conversation truly does bring me back to the days of 2014 when Feige had just announced Phase 3's lineup. When the original "Captain America: Civil War" announcement was made, I was baffled as to why would they call it a Captain America movie. I know that the original CW comic pegs Stark as American Hitler and Cap as the good guy, so I imagined that would be the reason why it would be called Cap 3, but after seeing it, this version of CW is so much different (for the good side) from the comic since it actually humanizes BOTH sides, and therefore, it almost, almost makes no sense to call it a Cap movie. The only reason why I can see it is because this is a direct sequel to The Winter Soldier as much as it to Age Of Ultron, but even still, if you're not gonna paint Stark as a straight up villain like Mark Millar did, calling it a Cap solo is kinda stupid.

That being said, Avengers: Civil War should've been the title. Or just Marvel's Civil War. That would give it a whole different "event" type vibe to it. I get why they wouldn't wanna call it an Avengers movie, since we're just a year removed from Ultron, and before somebody says that Ultron shouldn't have even happened to begin with, I completely disagree w/that as that movie showed us more of the Avengers working together (therefore, strenghtening their ties more) and gave us 2 to 3 quarters of the direct events leading to Civil War. But calling it Captain America just to give him a trilogy was not a good idea either. Call it Civil War and that's about it. Gives the film a huge prestige feel to it for having no BS to its title - it's straight up Civil War. The comic book didn't need to be called anything else either, so why try too hard?

No Avengers without Thor and Hulk. To me, Civil War should have been left out of the title alL together.

• Like 1

Considering CA2 made 714 WW

and this is heading to 1.2 billion+

Iron Man and Company did boost the film by about..

500,000,000.00 dollars? 

So imo I think the argument is that domestically Marvel is at peak but overseas they are rather solid.

I imagine Spidey and GOTG2 will do Batman vs Superman Numbers WW in comparison? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Considering CA2 made 714 WW

and this is heading to 1.2 billion

Iron Man and Company did boost the film by about half a billion dollars ?

So imo I think the argument is that domestically Marvel is at peak but overseas they are rather solid.

I imagine Spidey and GOTG2 will do Batman vs Superman Numbers WW in comparison? 

I think Spider Man will do much less, but GOTG2 should soar. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

I think Spider Man will do much less, but GOTG2 should soar. 

If it was  just Spidey but with Iron Man in there I think should do better then ASM easily. 

• Like 1

Also, how are people expecting great legs for this? Yeah, WOM seems to be good, but the competition (and I mean direct competition) will kill it after it's second weekend. None of the previous Marvel tentpoles (Avengers, AoU, IM3, Cap 2) had nearly as much competition (the openers in the next 4 weeks will likely combine around 1B).