CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

1 hour ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

This is 1 time where Rth is going to be way off on this.. Sorry, but it's true.. This is 2012 all over again where all the box office experts were so certain TA would gross 150M OW that it went ton to gross 207M OW and for that, you're not perfect and you get it wrong like the rest of them.. This won't be any different either...

17 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

77 is what the number is, not 73.. How can anyone trust DEADLINE over Rth??

grZAZ.gif

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I do think these Marvel films have generally run their course with the general public, though. The big ensemble films will still open high, but the days where they challenge records (let alone break them) are likely far behind them. Even then, it was really only one film. So many movies (all feeling so similar) will saturate their market and kill some of the audience as curiosity wanes, simple as that.

Very difficult to envision a future Marvel movie opening under better conditions than this one or Ultron did last year, and they're peaking in the high 100s.

If they have a plan for a real end to this cinematic universe then the last one might get close to or surpass first avengers OW numbers. Otherwise i agree. 

1 minute ago, AndyLL said:

Hmmm... I just realized the thread title was edited from @Rth 's number to deadlines.  

Rth's number was at 4 in the evening. Deadline's is more recent. If Rth provides another update, we will go back to that, or if Deadline updates post midnight.

So 25 + 48.5 for CW

48.5 = 1.94 x 25.

BVS had the same preview multiplier : 27.7 + 53.85

53.85 = 1.94 x 27.7

BVS though had a partial holiday on Friday, so CW matching the multiplier is good. The better buzz helped it balance the holiday factor I guess.

Sat and Sun % should be much better. But I think 175m is tough. Even with good Sat and great Sun owing to Mother's Day,

25.0 + 48.5 + 55.8 (+15%) + 44.6 (-20%) = 173.9

• Like 1

I feel like people are overstating how much Spider-Man brought to this. After seeing the movie, I can say with confidence this will be the first time there will be excitement for the next Spider-Man movie for the first time in 12 years.

• Like 1

Just saw it for a second time tonight with two buddies. They had the exact same reaction that I did about it. The first hour or so is painfully difficult to get through. But once the good stuff starts it becomes an absolutely incredible experience. It's just too bad the first hour or so it's so dry. As for the numbers, I realize it will obviously do more than 150 but if it really does come in around Batman vs. Superman my 150 million dollar prediction will be way way closer then those that predicted it to be close to 225 LOL

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like people are overstating how much Spider-Man brought to this. After seeing the movie, I can say with confidence this will be the first time there will be excitement for the next Spider-Man movie for the first time in 12 years.

Don't you mean 9 years? Spidey 3 was the first film to break the $150m barrier over 3 days. 

And here is some perspective to those who are trying to downplay this. Keep in mind Captain America Winter Soldier opened up to less than 100 million dollars. Just think about that for a minute. This film is going to make around at least 60% more than that opening weekend. This is still a massive number no matter what it opens to this weekend.

• Like 7