Sing Street (2016)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Sing Street (2016)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Absolutely loved this. The best film I've seen since maybe Room, every character was perfectly cast in their roles and the music was just great. Jack Reyner as Conor's brother probably surprised me the most; who knew that the dude from Trans4mers was such a good actor.

• Like 2

fun but i feel like john carney keeps trying to recapture Once w/ each movie. very similar beats here especially.had problems with the characterisation of the girl she's very cinemas version of Indie Rock Chick 101 (she's a free spirit but she's sad! omg!). and the last ten minutes or so are complete garbage, i have no idea what happened to the movie there.

also not really a criticism but damn these kids are way too fucking good for their first school band.

• Like 2

had problems with the characterisation of the girl she's very cinemas version of Indie Rock Chick 101 (she's a free spirit but she's sad! omg!)

Maybe it's a bit of a copout, but I felt that it was kind of in spirit with the movie's tone and didn't feel too egregious to me.

It felt so artificial from the get-go, I couldn't finish it because how annoying, calculated and phony it felt to me. I was cringing hard how the phony big bro, who is supposed to be some kind of rock music elitist (because he owns a plethora of vinyl records), tried to pimp Duran Duran like the second coming to be the freaking catalyst of the clumsy teenager's epiphany that he has to make a rock band to seduce a girl (that looks like she's enrolling college or a streetwalker when he's barely out of secondary school, I didn't buy their connection nor the chemistry at all). Are you freaking kidding me? Duran Duran was like the epitome of superficial and commercial fluff music for burgeoning teenage girls in 1985. When The Cure, The Clash, U2, Bowie, The Stranglers, The Police, Pretenders, Talk Talk were around, that's laughable from a slacker who would have been growing up listening to punk and post-punk like Wire, Joy Division/New Order, Gang Of Four and XTC.

And right out the gate, the two frumpy kids that have never played in a band before pen a pop song ("Riddle Of The Model") that absolutely sounds like what an indie new wave band made of art school dropouts in their late twenties would record in a professional studio that would get them on MTV heavy rotation circa 1985. All the arrangements, instrumentations didn't reek of something teenagers would come with especially their first song but it only came across as what it was, a nostalgic adult making kids re-enact and lip-synch polished new wave tunes written by 40-somethings. How supposed working class kids could get hold of a camrecorder (very pricey during that era) and could edit their music video like it was depicted in the movie was totally ludicrous and shattered my suspension of disbelief.

(And don't get me started on the token black character in the band whose only interactions pertained to the color of his skin emphasizing that he's only there because he's the token black guy. Not even a dialogue reference to Phil Lynott, you know the famous black irish rock musician of Dublin. Weird for a movie trying hard to trot out its truthful "irishness").

I'd rather watch The Commitments one more time. Now that's a genuine movie made of genuine and grounded characters making genuine music in spite of the harsh reality of 80's Ireland out of a genuine love for soul music and its heroes paying tribute in a genuine and offbeat way.(And Maria Doyle Kennedy got to shine more as the genuinely talented singer she is)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

It's definately cute but also a little too cute.

Odly the most obvious comparison that came to mind was not Carney's Once but God help the Girl, that hipster musical about anorexia. Both of those movies had more of a soul than Sing Street though. But it's fine.

B.