The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

On 5/17/2016 at 3:09 PM, The Panda said:

Number 75

Memento (2000)

32 Points (15 Votes, Avg Score 45.2)

Memento_poster.jpg

"We all lie to ourselves to be happy."

Top 10 Placements: 1 Placement

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (32, -43), 2013 (51, -24), 2012 (25, -50)

Tomatometer: 92%

Box Office: 25.54m (38.72m Adjusted)

Most Notable Award Recognition: Nominated 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Memento chronicles two separate stories of Leonard, an ex-insurance investigator who can no longer build new memories, as he attempts to find the murderer of his wife, which is the last thing he remembers. One story line moves forward in time while the other tells the story backwards revealing more each time.

Critic Opinion: "But the real brilliance of "Memento" is the way in which Nolan tells the story. In a word: backward, with events unfolding for the audience in the same way they unfold for Pearce's character.  "It's a tricky balance at the beginning, " Nolan says. "You're intriguing the audience and confusing the audience, and, at the same time, just giving them enough time to connect with the material."  And connect it does, no matter if you're watching it the first time or the 10th time." - Mike Scott

User Opinion: "Arguably the most innovative use of non linear storytelling ever utilized in film.  (*SPOILERS*) I loved the part where the drunk was laughing after Leonard drank his beer, which was confusing at first, but then in the next scene (or is it previous?) we see that he spit in it.  But it's where we see that Carrie-Anne Moss' character using him the whole time that was the ultimate twist." - Squaremaster

Personal Comment: Memento marks the first Nolan film to make the list and it is also one of the biggest drop-offs from the the previous years' lists yet.  Often revered as one of Nolan's best, Memento is the 4th film from the 2000s decade to be featured and is also another inclusion of a more indie level production.  The film is often viewed as mind bending of a sorts and because of this often warrants many repeat viewings (which may explain how it manages to make its mark on the list of many fans).  

FUCK. I TOTALLY FORGOT THIS ONE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I have 12 pre-1950s movies on my list. :mellow:

The oldest movie on my list is from 1957... Unless I'm missing something I have only ever seen one film from before 1950 (Fantasia).

Edited by Tower

16 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

:unsure: Link me to your top 100 list and I'll suggest some titles you might like.

The thing is that most of these supposed great classics that I have watched (admittedly not very many) have left me unimpressed that I'm not sure if it's really worth it to try more out but here's the list:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/21543-bot-top-100-movies-of-all-time-2016-edition-due-may-12/?do=findComment&comment=2531727

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tower said:

The thing is that most of these supposed great classics that I have watched (admittedly not very many) have left me unimpressed that I'm not sure if it's really worth it to try more out but here's the list:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/21543-bot-top-100-movies-of-all-time-2016-edition-due-may-12/?do=findComment&comment=2531727

If you dig Django, True Grit and H8ful that much check out some classic westerns if you haven't. 

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

My decade breakdown:

1960's: 1

1970's: 6

1980's: 8

1990's: 11

2000's: 14

2010's: 10

Such a millennial. 

I'm actually later on average than you:

50's: 1

60's: 2

70's: 1

80's: 2

90's: 7

00's: 19

10's: 68

• Like 1

me

2010s: 5

2000s: 19

1990s: 20

1980s: 17

1970s: 13

1960s: 10

1950s: 5

1940s: 7

1930s: 4

eh. could be better. honestly since i just kinda rushed and improvised it there's a bunch of movies i totally blanked on in the moment that i was too lazy to go back in and edit.

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

If you dig Django, True Grit and H8ful that much check out some classic westerns if you haven't. 

Yeah I should, I haven't seen any old westerns yet.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tower said:

Going just vaguely off genre here:

Black Swan - try The Red Shoes or Black Narcissus

Gone Girl - try Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, Body Heat, Lady from Shanghai, Chinatown

True Grit - how about The Wild Bunch, Unforgiven, High Noon, or Once Upon a Time in the West

Now You See Me - The Sting

Looper - 12 Monkeys

Spotlight - All the President's Men, Network,

Argo - 3 Days of the Condor, Day of the Jackal, Manchurian Candidate, The Hunt for Red October

Shutter Island - Jacob's Ladder, Seconds

Robin Hood - Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) :P, The Wind and the Lion, The Man Who Would Be King

Winter's Bone - Five Easy Pieces, Paris Texas, The Grapes of Wrath

• Like 9