The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Just now, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Maybe Pink's much harder on films compared to others? Just maybe!

Lol.

Or I'm a loonie. Or I'm fucking around. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Lol.

Or I'm a loonie. Or I'm fucking around. 

You're a crazy ex-Nolanite Henry Jackman hating kind of guy.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I'm a very confused individual :sadben:

Are you having nightmares lately?

Perhaps we can examine your psyche a little more, take a step further. After all you mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger.

16 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Well that's not exactly outside the mainstream, ya know?

Of course, but there are still plenty of people who think TWS is the best MCU score. I don't understand why (opinions, opinions, I know), but they exist.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

5 hours ago, James said:

Baumer, seriously, your generation is crazy about the old SW movies and most young people today deem those unwatchable and for good reason. It's all a matter of opinion. Like, for me anyone who doesn't like HP is probably not human.

Tintin was one of only 3 animated movies on my list (the other 2 where Ratatouille and Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island). So yeah, Spielberg did a fine ass job. I just can't comprehend how you can like something like Frozen, but dislike Tintin.

:rofl:

Number 34

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

53 Points (14 Votes, Avg Score 29.2857)

et--the-extra-terrestrial-movie-poster-1

"E.T. phone home."

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 10 Placements: 6 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (69, +35), 2013 (25, -9), 2012 (42, +8)

Tomatometer: 98%

Box Office: 359.12m (1.067b Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 4 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: While visiting the Earth at Night, a group of alien botanists is discovered and disturbed by an approaching human task force. Because of the more than hasty take-off, one of the visitors is left behind. The little alien finds himself all alone on a very strange planet. Fortunately, the extra-terrestrial soon finds a friend and emotional companion in 10-year-old Elliot, a lonely boy whose parents have separated. While E.T. slowly gets acquainted with Elliot's older brother Michael, his sister Gertie and the customs of Earth, members of the task force work day and night to track down the whereabouts of Earth's first visitor from outer space. The wish to go home again is strong in E.T., and after being able to communicate with Elliot and the others, E.T. starts building an improvised device to send a message home for his people to come and pick him up. But before long, E.T. gets seriously sick, and because of his special connection to Elliot, the young boy suffers, too. The situation gets critical when the task force finally intervenes. By then, all help may already be too late, and there's no alien spaceship in sight.

Critic Opinion: "As for the restored footage, its effect is relatively slight. There's a little more of the impossibly cute Barrymore (even at 5, she's an extraordinary camera magnet), and an additional bathroom scene in which E.T. hides underwater and demonstrates his extendable neck. We're reminded that, as well as some of the other things that E.T. may represent -- a redemptive Christ figure from the sky, a fetus, a living toy, an imaginary friend -- he has a few similarities to a penis.  The link is obvious but humorous enough not to seem crude. E.T. (a kind of little Elliott acronym) embodies Elliott's struggle to grow up, in every way." - Liam Lacey

User Opinion: N/A (Can't find the review thread and thus making the search for a comment quite difficult).

Personal Comment: Spielberg returns again to the list, this time with his heartwarming Sci-Fi, coming of age classic, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.  E.T. marks the 11th film from the 1980s to make the list, and it's also the first movie to adjust to over 1 billion domestic to make the list (making it our biggest blockbuster on the countdown so far).  E.T. is an instant family classic, and yes while it's technically a sci-fi film, it's really a story about growing up, and in a way that's what made this movie so accessible to become such a blockbuster smash.  The movie can relate to nearly everyone, and it manages to achieve a sense of awe and wonder as if you're the child working his way through these experiences.

• Like 19

Well it is too bad that ET is this low but at least it's on the list. To me it is absolutely one of the finest films of all time. I have it ranked second.   I know a lot of people in this generation don't necessarily see the Brilliance of it the way a lot of us did Growing Up in the 80s. But again just really happy to see it on the list.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Well it is too bad that ET is this low but at least it's on the list. To me it is absolutely one of the finest films of all time. I have it right the second period Buy I know a lot of people in this generation don't necessarily see the Brilliance of it the way a lot of us did Growing Up in the 80s. But again just really happy to see it on the list.

Will you be seeing The BFG?

Number 33

Groundhog Day (1993)

53 Points (17 Votes, Avg Score 44.9412)

groundhog_day.jpg

"Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today."

Number 1 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 5 Placements: 3 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 3 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (48, +15), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 96%

Box Office: 70.91m (146.95m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 BAFTA

IMDb Synopsis: A weather man is reluctantly sent to cover a story about a weather forecasting "rat" (as he calls it). This is his fourth year on the story, and he makes no effort to hide his frustration. On awaking the 'following' day he discovers that it's Groundhog Day again, and again, and again. First he uses this to his advantage, then comes the realisation that he is doomed to spend the rest of eternity in the same place, seeing the same people do the same thing EVERY day. 

Critic Opinion: "But lest we think that transcendence happens like a snap: Ramis had initially estimated that Phil was stuck in Punxsutawney for 10 years. But in 2009, he reconsidered: “I think the 10-year estimate is too short. It takes at least 10 years to get good at anything, and allotting for the down time and misguided years he spent, it had to be more like 30 or 40 years.”  Hmmm … 30 or 40 years. Which will probably be about the same time it’ll take for all the Punxsutawney Phil-aphiles to stop singing praises to the extraordinary Groundhog Day" - Kimberly Gadette

User Opinion: "Flawless. The tone, pacing and acting are masterful. Even McDowell comes off well." - Hatebox

Personal Comment: Groundhog Day makes its way on the list.  Groundhog Day makes its way on the list.  Groundhog Day makes its way on the list.  Groundhog day makes its way on the list.  Groundhog Day makes its way on the list.  Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list. Groundhog Day makes its way on the list.

• Like 16

ET never connected with me - which is terrible I know cause as an 80s child (more 90s but still) it along with the Goonies should be high on my radar but yeah... at least I recognize the genius of Spielberg at his craft.

Groundhog Day - a film that I just realize I left off my top 100. Fantastic film.

Number 32

The Incredibles (2004)

53 Points (20 Votes, Avg Score 39.25)

the-incredibles-2004.14716.jpg

"We're dead! We're dead! We survived but we're dead!"

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (29, -3), 2013 (47, +15), 2012 (89, +57)

Tomatometer: 97%

Box Office: 261.44m (360.62m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Bob Parr (A.K.A. Mr. Incredible), and his wife Helen (A.K.A. Elastigirl), are the world's greatest famous crime-fighting superheroes in Metroville. Always saving lives and battling evil on a daily basis. But fifteen years later, they have been forced to adopt civilian identities and retreat to the suburbs where they have no choice but to retire as superheroes to live a "normal life" with their three children Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack (who were secretly born with superpowers). Itching to get back into action, Bob gets his chance when a mysterious communication summons him to a remote island for a top secret assignment. He soon discovers that it will take a super family effort to rescue the world from total destruction.

Critic Opinion: "There’s a bit intense violence for the kids that may not sit well with parents where killing is a basic foundation of the villains, people attempt to commit suicide, people get hurt badly, and we even see someone get beaten up in an alley. It’s more shadows and motion but kids will make out what’s happening pretty easily. While I took issue with certain violent sequences, I was stunned by how Pixar manages to top themselves again and again with amazing animation, great characters, fun exciting adventures, and a story that breaks down the superhero mythos with dark undertones. This is an amazing movie." - Felix Vasquez Jr.

User Opinion: 

Personal Comment: What?  I said a Nolan film hadn't appeared in a while, I didn't say a Nolan film was going to appear!  The Incredibles marks an incredible feat by being Pixar's 6th film to make the countdown so far.  The Incredibles is also the 10th animation to make the list so far, with three more to come.  While it may seem like an easy feat to make a good animated superhero movie to appease the kids, The Incredibles does something special.  The Incredibles manages to push the boundaries of its genre by being one of the most real superhero movies to come out, while being in an animated form.  The movie is less about the super-power men in tights, and more about their lives outside of crime-fighting.  The film manages to mix family dysfunction and super-powered madness to make one hell of an entertaining film, no matter what age you are.

• Like 19

Just now, The Panda said:

Number 32

The Incredibles (2004)

53 Points (20 Votes, Avg Score 39.25)

the-incredibles-2004.14716.jpg

"We're dead! We're dead! We survived but we're dead!"

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (29, -3), 2013 (47, +15), 2012 (89, +57)

Tomatometer: 97%

Box Office: 261.44m (360.62m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Bob Parr (A.K.A. Mr. Incredible), and his wife Helen (A.K.A. Elastigirl), are the world's greatest famous crime-fighting superheroes in Metroville. Always saving lives and battling evil on a daily basis. But fifteen years later, they have been forced to adopt civilian identities and retreat to the suburbs where they have no choice but to retire as superheroes to live a "normal life" with their three children Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack (who were secretly born with superpowers). Itching to get back into action, Bob gets his chance when a mysterious communication summons him to a remote island for a top secret assignment. He soon discovers that it will take a super family effort to rescue the world from total destruction.

Critic Opinion: "There’s a bit intense violence for the kids that may not sit well with parents where killing is a basic foundation of the villains, people attempt to commit suicide, people get hurt badly, and we even see someone get beaten up in an alley. It’s more shadows and motion but kids will make out what’s happening pretty easily. While I took issue with certain violent sequences, I was stunned by how Pixar manages to top themselves again and again with amazing animation, great characters, fun exciting adventures, and a story that breaks down the superhero mythos with dark undertones. This is an amazing movie." - Felix Vasquez Jr.

User Opinion: 

Personal Comment: What?  I said a Nolan film hadn't appeared in a while, I didn't say a Nolan film was going to appear!  The Incredibles marks an incredible feat by being Pixar's 6th film to make the countdown so far.  The Incredibles is also the 10th animation to make the list so far, with three more to come.  While it may seem like an easy feat to make a good animated superhero movie to appease the kids, The Incredibles does something special.  The Incredibles manages to push the boundaries of its genre by being one of the most real superhero movies to come out, while being in an animated form.  The movie is less about the super-power men in tights, and more about their lives outside of crime-fighting.  The film manages to mix family dysfunction and super-powered madness to make one hell of an entertaining film, no matter what age you are.

THE BEST MF SUPERHERO MOVIE EVAAAAAAAAAAAA A+++++

tumblr_inline_o54lumZvQX1s5y4ha_500.gif

• Like 4