The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

1 minute ago, Kalo said:

what did you think of The Force Awakens? and what SW books have you read? I've read a ton. 

I've read mainly The Legacy of the Force series and the series before that, I forgot it's name. Anyway, 11-12 books total I think. I though TFA was ok. Definitely better than the OT, but I had big problems with the main character (very cliched) and how weak the bad guy was, especially considering the movie borrows some elements from The Legacy book series and there Ben (or Jacen) is truly formidable and quite the brilliant mastermind.  

24 minutes ago, James said:

I've read mainly The Legacy of the Force series and the series before that, I forgot it's name. Anyway, 11-12 books total I think. I though TFA was ok. Definitely better than the OT, but I had big problems with the main character (very cliched) and how weak the bad guy was, especially considering the movie borrows some elements from The Legacy book series and there Ben (or Jacen) is truly formidable and quite the brilliant mastermind.  

The Legacy of the Force series was one of my favorites! I can see what you mean about TFA, loved it, bit it did have some pretty big flaws. 

1 hour ago, James said:

The Legacy series was good, but had some substantial flaws. It consistently undermined Jacen by having him get his ass kicked in multiple books but then survive because the authors realized they couldn't kill him off, so the results of those fights end up really forced.

15 hours ago, ThiagoMaia said:

I remember when you removed ESB from your list entirely after giving information about how a few movies were really close to the top spot, and I wondered if you were being tempted to being dishonest about your opinion in order to change the final result. Not trying to accuse you or anything, just saying that we are all susceptible to being partial, and maybe you should be more strict about your own list the next time. Anyways, thank you for all the work you put on this, this was great fun watching the list unravel. You did a great job as usual!

I honestly didn't want to edit my entire list and by that point ESB was 30 points ahead anyways and wasn't going to get caught

From the list I saw 50 before making my own one, 25 of them made my list (yes, by chance both numbers came out exactly half half). since submitting the list I have seen Once Upon A time in the West, Se7en and Chinatown, I expect the first two to be on my next list.

• Like 1

42 from my list... most from the top half.

@The Panda, you guys are a lot better than me when it comes to working out statistical ways to reward a film's spot on the list, but I'd love it if there were more levels of scoring. Maybe 1 points for spots 81-100 but give a different tier of numbers for every 20 movie or so? (Up until the top 20?)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RascarCapat said:

I don't understand why The Maltese Falcon never makes it in these lists.

Because not enough people have seen it. Or in James's case, because the effects suck.

(It did make my list though.)

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

42 from my list... most from the top half.

@The Panda, you guys are a lot better than me when it comes to working out statistical ways to reward a film's spot on the list, but I'd love it if there were more levels of scoring. Maybe 1 points for spots 81-100 but give a different tier of numbers for every 20 movie or so? (Up until the top 20?)

I might try that next time, do

1 - 10

2-5 - 8

6-10 - 7 

11-25 - 5

26-50 - 3

51-75 - 2

76-100 - 1

• Like 1

Id say how many films made my list but mine was made on the fly and doesn't really represent my top 100.  It was just spur of the moment.  Plus, some films (like Inside Out) I only ranked so high to try and get them on the list.

Number of films by director:

7:

Steven Spielberg: Saving Private Ryan(83), The Last Crusade(76), Jurassic Park(35), E.T(34), Jaws(17), Schindler's List(10), Raiders Of The Lost Ark(2)

4:

Christopher Nolan: Memento(75), Batman Begins(60), Inception(22), The Dark Knight(9)

Martin Scorsese: Raging Bull(91), The Wolf of Wall Street(88), Taxi Driver(27), Goodfellas(20)

Alfred Hitchcock: North By Northwest(87), Psycho(78), Vertigo(61), Rear Window(41)

James Cameron: The Terminator(81), Aliens(79), Titanic(28), Terminator 2(25)

3:

Peter Jackson: The Two Towers(12), Return of the King(8), Fellowship of the Ring(3)

Francis Ford Coppola: Apocalypse Now(29), The Godfather 2(11), The Godfather(4)

Stanley Kubrick: The Shining(89), Dr. Strangelove(72), 2001: A Space Odyssey(14)

David Fincher: The Social Network(54), Se7en(48), Fight Club(39)

Coen brothers: The Big Lebowski(100), No Country For Old Men(99), Fargo(46)

2:

Quentin Tarantino: Inglorious Basterds(57), Pulp Fiction(6)

Robert Zemeckis: Back To The Future(19), Forrest Gump(13)

Sergio Leone: Once Upon a Time in the West(74), The Good the Bad and the Ugly(23)

Andrew Stanton: Wall-E(31), Finding Nemo(26)

Brad Bird: Ratatouille(52), The Incredibles(32)

John Lasseter: Toy Story 2(42), Toy Story(37)

Pete Docter: Up(67), Inside Out(40)

Alfonso Cuaron: Harry Potter 3(85), Gravity(53)

Ridley Scott: Blade Runner(65), Alien(45)

Paul Thomas Anderson: Magnolia(98), There Will Be Blood(66)

Russo brothers: The Winter Soldier(96), Civil War(92)

Edited by Tower
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tower said:

Number of films by director:

7:

Steven Spielberg: Saving Private Ryan(83), The Last Crusade(76), Jurassic Park(35), E.T(34), Jaws(17), Schindler's List(10), Raiders Of The Lost Ark(2)

4:

Christopher Nolan: Memento(75), Batman Begins(60), Inception(22), The Dark Knight(9)

Martin Scorsese: Raging Bull(91), The Wolf of Wall Street(88), Taxi Driver(27), Goodfellas(20)

Alfred Hitchcock: North By Northwest(87), Psycho(78), Vertigo(61), Rear Window(41)

The Terminator(81), Aliens(79)Titanic(28),Terminator 2(25)

3:

Peter Jackson: The Two Towers(12), Return of the King(8), Fellowship of the Ring(3)

Francis Ford Coppola: Apocalypse Now(29), The Godfather 2(11), The Godfather(4)

Stanley Kubrick: The Shining(89), Dr. Strangelove(72), 2001: A Space Odyssey(14)

David Fincher: The Social Network(54), Se7en(48), Fight Club(39)

Coen brothers: The Big Lebowski(100), No Country For Old Men(99), Fargo(46)

2:

Quentin Tarantino: Inglorious Basterds(57), Pulp Fiction(6)

Robert Zemeckis: Back To The Future(19), Forrest Gump(13)

Sergio Leone: Once Upon a Time in the West(74), The Good the Bad and the Ugly(23)

Andrew Stanton: Wall-E(31), Finding Nemo(26)

Brad Bird: Ratatouille(52), The Incredibles(32)

John Lasseter: Toy Story 2(42), Toy Story(37)

Pete Docter: Up(67), Inside Out(40)

Alfonso Cuaron: Harry Potter 3(85), Gravity(53)

Ridley Scott: Blade Runner(65), Alien(45)

Paul Thomas Anderson: Magnolia(98), There Will Be Blood(66)

You missed the Russo brothers :ph34r:

• Like 1

On 5/30/2016 at 10:16 PM, The Panda said:

Number 7

Interstellar (2014)

104 Points (24 Votes, Avg Score 22.79)

latest?cb=20141003183016

"We used to look up at the sky and wonder at our place in the stars. Now we just look down, and worry about our place in the dirt."

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 4 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 9 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 71% (But certified fresh, making it better reviewed than Forrest Gump)

Box Office: 188.02m (194.68m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: In the near future, Earth has been devastated by drought and famine, causing a scarcity in food and extreme changes in climate. When humanity is facing extinction, a mysterious rip in the space-time continuum is discovered, giving mankind the opportunity to widen its lifespan. A group of explorers must travel beyond our solar system in search of a planet that can sustain life. The crew of the Endurance are required to think bigger and go further than any human in history as they embark on an interstellar voyage into the unknown. Coop, the pilot of the Endurance, must decide between seeing his children again and the future of the human race.

Critic Opinion: "This is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen." - Richard Roeper (Real quote from a real top critic)

User Opinion: "B+" - MrPink

Personal Comment: Don't get mad, I tried to prepare everybody for it.  I put constant hints throughout this list that Interstellar was in fact going to end up making the list so it wouldn't come as to much of a shock.  I tried, I really did, but the Nolanites are in fact still very much a presence on this forum.  Interstellar is the fourth movie from Christopher Nolan to make the list, putting him 2 short of Steven Spielberg for the top spot directing wise.  You can breathe a sigh of relief though, The Dark Knight Rises missed the list, so at least the worst Nolan movie didn't make it.  I guess I should say that I do in fact really love Interstellar, in fact it was number 101 on my list, a just miss for me.  The movie is an absolute beauty and mind trip that inspires you about the future of mankind and what we can do to fix the present.  While many may say this is Nolan's weakest work, many said the same thing about The Shining and 2001 for Kubrick, in fact (by consensus of this forum) this truly Nolan's best movie.  If only it didn't bomb at the box office, because I was really counting on it to make 500m Domestic based on my historic failure of a club.

tumblr_m3kaeyUB461r5pin2o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

TJKBC07.gif

tumblr_inline_mjcziaDq861rvlrh9.gif

giphy.gif