The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I'd argue the opposite. That musicals are cinema in its purest form.

Agreed.

It just never worked with me.

When they start singing, I cringe and squirm.

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Get on my level. Silent film or GTFO.

The number one film that has brainwashed people into liking it:

Okay, the real number one is none other than:

1) The Artist:  

Weinsein-Brothers.jpeg

Yep, they too had a hand in this and if they didn't, this film never would have been produced let alone win best picture.  Rewarding this film all the accolades it got, especially best picture would be like the automotive industry awarding the Ford Motor company for making a car in 2015 that looked like this:

1932FordV-8Cabriolet.jpg

This comes with no air, gets 1.5 miles to the gallon, pollutes the air, has steel seats and no back seat.  But because the president of Ford bribed everyone into voting for it, it becomes the automobile of the year.  

Or it would be like the Society of on line Innovation awarding Comcast as ISP of the year for creating dial up speeds again, in 2015.

The Artist is a gimmick.  It's the pet rock of cinema.  You remember the pet rock?  It was a rock, dressed up with googly eyes and sold in the 80's.  People bought fucking rocks and the inventor of it became an overnight millionaire.  These techniques went the way of the do do bird and they did so for a reason.  Technology moves forward, meaning it advances.  You don't need silence anymore in film, we have sound.  We've had it for about 100 years.  You don't need to make a film in black and white without sound because we have colour now too and the budget on this wasn't a problem.  They could afford to pay the extra couple of thousand dollars to buy colour film.  The only reason this film became a sensation is because the Weinsteins have pictures of half the academy having sex with donkeys, or their sisters or they have pictures of the  men with male appendages in parts of their bodies that would embarrassing for them if these pictures surfaced.  There really is no other explanation.  It's a dead breed of film for a reason.  No one cares anymore about this.  But when it came out, you were told to like it and then like sheep, you all flocked to see it.  Then, the academy members told you it was the best film of the year and then you made it a home video hit.  My guess is this film serves as a beer coaster now.  Either that or it is collecting dust in someone's garage.  About a month after people bought this on HV, they actually began to wonder why they bought it.  

• Like 1

When a large number of scenes are practically dedicated to 'Avengers argue/fight among themselves', claiming 'there's no sense of conflict' comes off as a little hyperbolic and hard to take seriously. Same goes for 'no sense of danger or tension'. The characters are fighting off an alien invasion. That's danger and tension. Exactly how much the movie makes you feel said tension is subjective and entirely up for discussion, but claiming there's zero is just downright false.

Also, as for the one-liners, define 'do not work' in a way that's not just 'I didn't personally find them that funny'. In my opinion, even ignoring the humour value, the one-liners worked as ways to explore the interaction between these characters and how they'd bounce off one another, as well as helping to keep the atmosphere light and helping to elevate exposition/set-up scenes and help them feel less heavy or sluggish (indeed, something I felt the first half of Civil War could've seriously used). If you didn't personally like the humour, then that's fine, but humour is subjective (and significantly more complex than most people give it credit for). You can't make everyone laugh. However, if you're trying to persuade other people or argue that a movie is undeserving of a place on a list, you have to go a bit further when you're trying to argue that said humour is bad. I mean, I hate awkward/cringe comedy, but I'm not going to tell anyone that a show like The Office (UK) doesn't deserve to be loved by others just because of my own personal biases. And if I'm going to criticise the comedy in movies like the first three Transformers movies, it's better to rely on more universally understandable or objective reasoning (such as that it played to fairly heavily racist stereotypes and it unintentionally makes some of the characters more unlikeable, hurting the movie (as opposed to the jokes in Avengers which play on deliberate and recognised character flaws)). And even then, some people still enjoy that humour to some extent.

But basically, when the significantly vast majority of people enjoy the humour in a certain piece of media, as it's hard to deny that they did for Avengers, it usually means that they did something right. Thus it's difficult to justifiably say 'they did not work' unless you're talking about for you specifically.

Yes I was speaking about me personality. The film does not really work for me. Obviously people love the film it made over 600m domestically.

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I'm struggling to see what the point of copy/pasting that whole thing into this thread was.

cannastop said he likes silent movies or bust,......so I posted that he has been brainwashed.  

Are you ok with that Coolio?  Should I ask your permission next time before I post something?  

"What would collio think?"

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

cannastop said he likes silent movies or bust,......so I posted that he has been brainwashed.  

Are you ok with that Coolio?  Should I ask your permission next time before I post something?  

"What would collio think?"

Honestly if the whole forum took that lead it would be pretty rad. There'd be a serious spike in Liam neeson talk and less of the funny book nonsense.

• Like 4