The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Filmmakers with multiple appearances so far:

5:

Steven Spielberg: E.T., Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan

4:

James Cameron: Aliens, Terminator, Terminator 2, Titanic

Alfred Hitchcock: North by Northwest, Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo

Martin Scorsese: Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, The Wolf of Wall Street

3:

The Coen Brothers: The Big Lebowski, Fargo, No Country for Old Men

David Fincher: Fight Club, Se7en, The Social Network

Stanley Kubrick: 2001, Dr Strangelove, The Shining

Christopher Nolan: Batman Begins, Inception, Memento

2:

Paul Thomas Anderson: Magnolia, There Will Be Blood

Brad Bird: The Incredibles, Ratatouille 

Pete Docter: Inside Out, Up

Alfonso Cuaron: Gravity, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

John Lassetter: Toy Story, Toy Story 2

Sergio Leone: The Good The Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West

The Russo Brothers: Captain America: Civil War, Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Ridley Scott: Alien, Blade Runner

Andrew Stanton: Finding Nemo, WALL-E

Robert Zemeckis: Back to the Future, Forrest Gump

• Like 13

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Russo Brothers: Captain America: Civil War, Captain America: The Winter Soldier

good lord. what a filmmaker sandwich this is.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Filmmakers with multiple appearances so far:

5:

Steven Spielberg: E.T., Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan

4:

James Cameron: Aliens, Terminator, Terminator 2, Titanic

Alfred Hitchcock: North by Northwest, Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo

Martin Scorsese: Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, The Wolf of Wall Street

3:

The Coen Brothers: The Big Lebowski, Fargo, No Country for Old Men

David Fincher: Fight Club, Se7en, The Social Network

Stanley Kubrick: 2001, Dr Strangelove, The Shining

Christopher Nolan: Batman Begins, Inception, Memento

2:

Paul Thomas Anderson: Magnolia, There Will Be Blood

Brad Bird: The Incredibles, Ratatouille 

Pete Docter: Inside Out, Up

Alfonso Cuaron: Gravity, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

John Lassetter: Toy Story, Toy Story 2

Andrew Stanton: Finding Nemo, WALL-E

Robert Zemeckis: Back to the Future, Forrest Gump

Spielberg gonna get 2 more as well... 

#hailSteve

• Like 1

Number 11

The Godfather: Part II (1974)

86 Points (23 Votes, Avg Score 29.217)

the_godfather_part_2-al-pacino-poster.jp

"My father taught me many things here - he taught me in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."

Top 5 Placements: 3 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 5 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (34, +23), 2013 (8, -3), 2012 (8, -3)

Tomatometer: 97%

Box Office: 47.54m (218.14m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 6 Oscars, Including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: The continuing saga of the Corleone crime family tells the story of a young Vito Corleone growing up in Sicily and in 1910s New York; and follows Michael Corleone in the 1950s as he attempts to expand the family business into Las Vegas, Hollywood and Cuba.

Critic Opinion: "When superfans speak of the superiority of The Godfather Part II, this is not merely to be contrary. Coppola took Mario Puzo’s pulp and darkened it with Nixonian paranoia and the power of political back rooms. The sequel’s decadence—Michael sweeping down on Fredo, Kay, all of them—is counterweighted by nostalgia, as we see the young immigrant Vito (De Niro) striving to protect his own. Thus we have the birth of a quasi-noble idea: the neighborhood defender. But De Niro, gun barrel blazing, plays it squirrelly, unsure if bad wheels have been set in motion. Vito’s son will pay the ultimate price, a descent that is the richest the movies have to offer." - Joshua Rothkopf

User Opinion: "I'll echo others and say that is the greatest or at least one of the greatest sequels of all time. I'm still undecided whether I like this or the original better, perhaps I'll settle on them being equally as good." - Scottb

Personal Comment: There's a common idea that a sequel is never as good as the original, as untrue as I believe that statement is, it's carried around all the same.  You would think that a sequel to a movie as legendary as The Godfather couldn't possibly live up to it, and then again The Godfather: Part II managed to shock the world and be a film that most view as on the same plane or even superior.  The Godfather: Part II is the 9th movie on our countdown from the 90s.  This movie also has some of the best reviews out of any movie to make our countdown (only losing out to a few movies such as Citizen Kane).  While this movie may not be as iconic as the original, it still manages to place itself on the same pedestal from its pure ingenuity

The top 10 will begin a bit later tonight, and we'll hit the big cliffhanger for the day....

• Like 18

i used to always be on the part 2 bandwagon but i watched them both in the cinema earlier this year and i gotta admit was more taken with the first on this go around. the deniro stuff is still top tits though.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Personal Comment: Peter Jackson comes onto the list with the second installment to the Lord of the Rings franchise.  He, like the Wachowski's, is also somewhat of a one hit wonder only if you include all 3 Lord of the Rings movies as one and ignore the potential greatness of King Kong. 

You know he made movies prior to LOTR right. Heavenly Creatures is one of the all-time greats. Braindead and Forgotten Silver are both wonderful.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

You know he made movies prior to LOTR right. Heavenly Creatures is one of the all-time greats. Braindead and Forgotten Silver are both wonderful.

They were made before the year 2001, thus too old for me to watch them. :ph34r:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I kick ass for the lord!

• Like 1

Predictions

10- Schindler's List

9- 12 Angry Men

8-  Fellowship

7- Star Wars

6- Godfather

5- Pulp Fiction

4- Return of the King

3- The Dark Knight 

2- Empire Strikes Back

1- Raiders of the Lost Ark

11 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

i'd reject that premise re: the wachowskis as well. even if you agree w/ the critics on all their follow-ups their first feature Bound is pretty strong.

• Like 1

Personally, I think the Wachowski's are underrated period. Only movies of theirs I'd call actually bad are Matrix Revolutions and Jupiter Ascending.