The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

You serious?

Well I am sure everyone on here has many favourite films that not on this list and that does not mean they are not well liked by many or not great films.

Lol it may not be on this list but its the hearts of audiences...

70e7f69af48f5410171a333278cc9bf1.jpg

He was a solider of rome, Honour him. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

spartacus and ben hur didn't show up either. if we're gonna be disappointed it should be for the movies that gladiator took inspiration from so liberally. 

All three would be on my top 100, legendary films each one. 

Sense8 and JA are some pretty big fuck-ups, but before that I used to like all of their movies, including the Matrix sequels. Bound is one of the best films by a first-time director.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Sense8 and JA are some pretty big fuck-ups, but before that I used to like all of their movies, including the Matrix sequels. Bound is one of the best films by a first-time director.

phahahhaahhah

Well many high profile films Missing

City of God

Taxi Driver 

American Beauty

Unforgiven

The Great Escape

Airplane!

Das Boot

American History X

The Pianist

Princess Mononoke 

Howeven Seven Samurai and Once Upon a time In the West is there

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Number 10

Schindler's List (1993)

87 Points (24 Votes, Avg Score 25.42)

schindlers%2Blist%2Bposter.png

"It's Hebrew, it's from the Talmud. It says, "Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire.""

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 7 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (15, +5), 2013 (10, --), 2012 (21, +11)

Tomatometer: 96%

Box Office: 96.07m (197.3m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 7 Oscars, including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: Oskar Schindler is a vainglorious and greedy German businessman who becomes an unlikely humanitarian amid the barbaric Nazi reign when he feels compelled to turn his factory into a refuge for Jews. Based on the true story of Oskar Schindler who managed to save about 1100 Jews from being gassed at the Auschwitz concentration camp, it is a testament to the good in all of us.

Critic Opinion: "At the end of the film, there is a sequence of overwhelming emotional impact, involving the actual people who were saved by Schindler. We learn that "Schindler's Jews" and their descendants today number about 6,000 and that the Jewish population of Poland is 4,000. The obvious lesson would seem to be that Schindler did more than a whole nation to spare its Jews. That would be too simple. The film's message is that one man did something, while in the face of the Holocaust others were paralyzed. Perhaps it took a Schindler, enigmatic and reckless, without a plan, heedless of risk, a con man, to do what he did. No rational man with a sensible plan would have gotten as far.

The French author Flaubert once wrote that he disliked Uncle Tom's Cabin because the author was constantly preaching against slavery. "Does one have to make observations about slavery?" he asked. "Depict it; that's enough." And then he added, "An author in his book must be like God in the universe, present everywhere and visible nowhere." That would describe Spielberg, the author of this film. He depicts the evil of the Holocaust, and he tells an incredible story of how it was robbed of some of its intended victims. He does so without the tricks of his trade, the directorial and dramatic contrivances that would inspire the usual melodramatic payoffs. Spielberg is not visible in this film. But his restraint and passion are present in every shot." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "The filmmaking on display is so good it transcends the utter blackness of the subject matter. I saw it five times in theaters. The first time, it was still in limited release, and I drove 40 miles to San Francisco to see it by myself (I was 19 and none of my friends were interested). There was this old man seated next to me (honestly, I didn't even really notice him until the end), and when the credits were rolling and everyone in the theater was just sitting there, pole-axed, he turned to me and said, "I was there, in one of those camps."I was so flabbergasted and stunned all I could manage was, "oh wow..." (Surely one of the more idiotic things I could've said), and then he got up and left.The 40-mile drive back home was a thoughtful and powerful one." - Telemachos

Personal Comment: Spielberg hits the list yet another time with Schindler's List.  Schindler's List is the 24th movie from the 1990s to make out countdown, furthering its dominance, and Spielberg's dominance over every other director on this list.  Schindler's List was the second and knockout punch in Spielberg's best year of his rich filmmaking career, and it is a powerful film.  There are many World War 2 and Holocaust films out there, so many attempt (and succeed) at depicting the era, but I have still yet to see a film that even gets close to topping the subtle power of this one.  Schindler's List is Spielberg at his most tame, and it is also Spielberg at his absolute best when it comes to directing prowess.  Spielberg demonstrates his incredible range here as a filmmaker, being able to make a summer gangbuster like Jurassic Park and then turn around and deliver one of the most thoughtful, simple, and poignant movies ever made about an era that has had more movies made about than buildings smashed and explosions in every Snyder and Michael Bay movie combined.  There's so much that could be said about this incredible film, but at the end of the day it's pure art as it's meant to be.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 14

Number 9

The Dark Knight (2008)

97 Points (28 Votes, Avg Score 31.12)

dark_knight_ver4.jpg

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Top 5 Placements: 3 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 5 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (2, -7), 2013 (3, -6), 2012 (7, -2)

Tomatometer: 94%

Box Office: 533.35m (637.23m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Set within a year after the events of Batman Begins, Batman, Lieutenant James Gordon, and new district attorney Harvey Dent successfully begin to round up the criminals that plague Gotham City until a mysterious and sadistic criminal mastermind known only as the Joker appears in Gotham, creating a new wave of chaos. Batman's struggle against the Joker becomes deeply personal, forcing him to "confront everything he believes" and improve his technology to stop him. A love triangle develops between Bruce Wayne, Dent and Rachel Dawes.

Critic Opinion: "The Dark Knight keeps your stomach in knots. When the film started, I was excitedly shaking like the fanboy I am. By the time it was over, I was pale, my palms were sweaty, and I could barely hold in the emotions caught in my chest. The film is challenging in ways like no superhero film before it. There are so many “what would I have done” situations, a tie-in book of hypotheticals could be released. It is wave after wave of distress and anxiety. Heroes suffer. Good people die.

From the thrilling score to the demented make-up; the sweeping shots to the gritty script. The supporting cast of Michael Caine as Wayne’s loyal butler Alfred, Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, head of Wayne Enterprises and Gary Oldman, as the good cop Lieutenant Gordon. It’s all perfect. It is full of absolute white-knuckle entertainment, including an amazing car chase, bone-breaking fight scenes and one explosion barely big enough to fit on the screen.

While Bruce Wayne claims his Batman is about theatrics and intimidation, deep down he’s about humanity. He gives up a lot to save the soul of Gotham city from the clutches of the Joker. In the so-intense-you-can-barely-watch finale, the citizens of Gotham are forced to prove if there are any souls left worth saving. It’s one of the boldest moments in a brave film. If it doesn’t get a Best Picture nomination, then why even bother giving out awards at all." - Simon Miraudo

User Opinion: "The single greatest comic book film ever made.  An instant 5 star modern classic that harkens back to the rich storytelling days of the Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia.  The performances are simply out of this world, with the late great Heath Ledger's Joker becoming THE bar to which all movie villains are measured, and Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman each contributing lifetime achievement level performances, with everyone else rounding off the cast nicely.  Christian Bale (tied with Daniel Day-Lewis as our greatest modern actor) gives a subtle yet menacing performance reminiscent of Al Pacino in his role as Michael Corleone; Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman provide great character moments as well as subtle, sophisticated humor that is delivered with far greater execution than most films that try to cram as much unnecessary slapstick as possible (i.e. Transformers, Avengers) An iconic masterpiece of cinema and a phenomenal triumph of storytelling, The Dark Knight is a truly epic film that tops any other contribution to the genre by leaps and bounds, no matter how many jealous fanboys of rival companies bang their heads in frustration over their own failure to reach this level of relevance." - Squaremaster316

Personal Comment: Christopher Nolan swoops into the list with his third movie, so far.  The Dark Knight is the 16th movie from the 2000s to make the list, tying it with the 2010s for second place.  This is also the lowest the Dark Knight has ever appeared on a forum countdown, which continues to provide evidence to my statement that the Nolan worship must have died down some and thus the love of his movies (at least, unless another Nolan movie hasn't taken its place as the forum's favorite Nolan film).  Also, at least 3 Nolan films missed the list, so that leaves room for the possibility of one more coming up... The Dark Knight is also the first comic book movie to ever win a major Oscar, with it winning for Heath Ledger's legendary performance as the Joker, it also received such a big uproar for not getting a BP nom (along with Wall-E) that the academy changed the number of films nominated to 10.  The Dark Knight is an endlessly quotable movie that manages to put itself at the top of comic book films.

• Like 15

33 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 10

Schindler's List (1993)

87 Points (24 Votes, Avg Score 25.42)

schindlers%2Blist%2Bposter.png

"It's Hebrew, it's from the Talmud. It says, "Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire.""

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 7 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (15, +5), 2013 (10, --), 2012 (21, +11)

Tomatometer: 96%

Box Office: 96.07m (197.3m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 7 Oscars, including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: Oskar Schindler is a vainglorious and greedy German businessman who becomes an unlikely humanitarian amid the barbaric Nazi reign when he feels compelled to turn his factory into a refuge for Jews. Based on the true story of Oskar Schindler who managed to save about 1100 Jews from being gassed at the Auschwitz concentration camp, it is a testament to the good in all of us.

Critic Opinion: "At the end of the film, there is a sequence of overwhelming emotional impact, involving the actual people who were saved by Schindler. We learn that "Schindler's Jews" and their descendants today number about 6,000 and that the Jewish population of Poland is 4,000. The obvious lesson would seem to be that Schindler did more than a whole nation to spare its Jews. That would be too simple. The film's message is that one man did something, while in the face of the Holocaust others were paralyzed. Perhaps it took a Schindler, enigmatic and reckless, without a plan, heedless of risk, a con man, to do what he did. No rational man with a sensible plan would have gotten as far.

The French author Flaubert once wrote that he disliked Uncle Tom's Cabin because the author was constantly preaching against slavery. "Does one have to make observations about slavery?" he asked. "Depict it; that's enough." And then he added, "An author in his book must be like God in the universe, present everywhere and visible nowhere." That would describe Spielberg, the author of this film. He depicts the evil of the Holocaust, and he tells an incredible story of how it was robbed of some of its intended victims. He does so without the tricks of his trade, the directorial and dramatic contrivances that would inspire the usual melodramatic payoffs. Spielberg is not visible in this film. But his restraint and passion are present in every shot." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "The filmmaking on display is so good it transcends the utter blackness of the subject matter. I saw it five times in theaters. The first time, it was still in limited release, and I drove 40 miles to San Francisco to see it by myself (I was 19 and none of my friends were interested). There was this old man seated next to me (honestly, I didn't even really notice him until the end), and when the credits were rolling and everyone in the theater was just sitting there, pole-axed, he turned to me and said, "I was there, in one of those camps."I was so flabbergasted and stunned all I could manage was, "oh wow..." (Surely one of the more idiotic things I could've said), and then he got up and left.The 40-mile drive back home was a thoughtful and powerful one." - Telemachos

Personal Comment: Spielberg hits the list yet another time with Schindler's List.  Schindler's List is the 24th movie from the 1990s to make out countdown, furthering its dominance, and Spielberg's dominance over every other director on this list.  Schindler's List was the second and knockout punch in Spielberg's best year of his rich filmmaking career, and it is a powerful film.  There are many World War 2 and Holocaust films out there, so many attempt (and succeed) at depicting the era, but I have still yet to see a film that even gets close to topping the subtle power of this one.  Schindler's List is Spielberg at his most tame, and it is also Spielberg at his absolute best when it comes to directing prowess.  Spielberg demonstrates his incredible range here as a filmmaker, being able to make a summer gangbuster like Jurassic Park and then turn around and deliver one of the most thoughtful, simple, and poignant movies ever made about an era that has had more movies made about than buildings smashed and explosions in every Snyder and Michael Bay movie combined.  There's so much that could be said about this incredible film, but at the end of the day it's pure art as it's meant to be.

I think this us a phenenomal film.  However I've seen it only once.  Someday I'll watch it again.