WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

four IMAX tickets = $80

20km roundtrip gas = $10?

parking = $15-$25 in the afternoon or $6-$10 in the evening (6pm). $20 average

dinner for four (drinks, appetizers, mains) = 2 glasses of wines ($25) + 2 glasses of soft drinks ($10) + 4 appetizers ($60) + 4 mains ($100) + tax = $220+

two small popcorns = $15?

**$345+ damage to the wallet. 

Or....

Cheap Tuesday deals 

four regular 2D tickets = $29

20km roundtrip gas = $10?

parking = theater with large parking lot

dinner for four = eat at home

two small popcorns = skip

**$40 damage to the wallet

• Like 1

Just now, DAR said:

I can only imagine how disappointed Downey, Evans and Johanssen are knowing they have yet another billion dollar film to add to their resume.

Johansson's too busy saving the world from Coke and Pepsi.

00101.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

for a weekend matinee, non IMAX, PLF or 3D (at $5 a ticket), about $30-$40 including food and gas.  if you go in the evening, children and seniors will have a discount, but still about $10 more.  so the range is $20 (i don't even bother with concessions as i don't like to eat and watch at the same time and viewing is more pleasant with an empty bladder) to $70 (IMAX or PLF 3D with concessions for everyone).  not a trivial amount, but certainly not unaffordable for MOST families.

It still a big amount if you do it every or twice a month.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Before opening weekend:

Marvel fan: "Can't wait for the new Avengers movie, Civil War!!!"

After seeing a 'disappointing' box office take:

Marvel fan: "Look, Civil War isn't even slightly an Avengers movie. It has never been marketed that way."

Sure it was marketed like an Avengers movie but it was mostly a Captain America sequel with appearances by Avengers. Which is why I think it's dropping like it is. 

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Unless a movie does a Fast & Furious 7 in China I guess, I think only a Disney film can beat Civil War this year.

I think INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE could.

2 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

But this is completely contradictory. Earlier you were saying a family can't go every 2 weeks because they have to buy tons of food. Now when I say they don't need to buy food, you claim they have to because it's such a rare occasion. 2 weeks is a rare occasion? Make your damn mind up.

Buying food isn't a requirement, but most people don't care about going to the movies just to watch the movie. They like to buy stuff for their kids, they like to snack. They're not trying for maximum economic efficiency.

• Like 6

Okay maybe you don't want your kids to be complaining about being hungry, so you buy them a small $3 kids size popcorn or biscuits or whatever and drink. You have two kids that's $6 Where is this $40 coming from? Why do YOU have to have the biggest 1500 calorie box of popcorn & 1 litre full-fat coca-cola for yourself just so that your kids don't complain. Doesn't make any goddamn sense, you fat fucks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Unless a movie does a Fast & Furious 7 in China I guess, I think only a Disney film can beat Civil War this year.

I think INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE could.

Just now, Telemachos said:

Buying food isn't a requirement, but most people don't care about going to the movies just to watch the movie. They like to buy stuff for their kids, they like to snack. They're not trying for maximum economic efficiency.

Believe me, I worked in a cinema, I know they are not trying to be 'economically efficient' - but choosing to buy all that food strips them of any right to complain about having to spend loads of money on food.

9 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Yeah, Vader is the most popular but Han Solo is easily more popular than Luke. Might have shifted slightly with the new movie but I think that was always the case.

You might be a lot older than me then.

I wasn't alive for the original trilogy. Han might have been much more popular back then. I grew up with the prequels.

In my lifetime Han has been the 3rd most popular human character (after Vader and Luke) and 6th most popular overall (after those two, Yoda, Chewbacca, and Artoo) from the original trilogy. Before recent years I've known barely more fans of Han than fans of Leia or Obi-Wan, or even Boba Fett.

Edited by department store basement

6 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Terrestrial is back! Hey :)

Since everybody's talking about that again, I'll chime in by saying...

It was marketed as an Avengers movie, it was kind of an Avenger movie, but it was missing some Avengers, and the focus was clearly on Cap.

Now, among all my friends, who wants to see a Cap-focused Avengers movie? Pretty much none. And just having some cool characters here and there isn't enough to convince them to see an otherwise Cap-centric story. Leaving the theater my friend said "I'm so fucking glad this was the last Captain America movie"

He loved the movie, he's incredibly excited for Spider-Man & Black Panther, but he just doesn't give a fuck about Cap. And he's not alone in my friends. I do like Cap, but I feel like I'm in the minority, I was certainly the only TeamCap among my friends that's for sure.

The title is still Captain America which implies that the story is focused on him, and even for those who like The Avengers, that could very well turn them off seeing this movie.

That would help explain the legs, I think. Die-Hard MCU fans showed up, then everyone went like "It's not an Avengers-movie purely, it's focused on cap" and people answered with "oh ok, well fuck that" :rolleyes:

Which is why I loved it so much, I always felt like Cap should be the main focus of the Avengers, so having Cap run around with the other Avengers and be top dog was like a dream come true to me, it really was kind of a ballsy move for Marvel to do a film like this considering all the Iron Man fans there are. It just makes me have more respect for the studio that let a hero that isn't the most popular have his moment in the spotlight. (unlike another studio)

• Like 5

But this is completely contradictory. Earlier you were saying a family can't go every 2 weeks because they have to buy tons of food. Now when I say they don't need to buy food, you claim they have to because it's such a rare occasion. 2 weeks is a rare occasion? Make your damn mind up.

Not every family goes to concessions. I was speaking of the Average Joe who only gets out to the movies only a handful of times a year and treats it like a special occasion.

Okay maybe you don't want your kids to be complaining about being hungry, so you buy them a small $3 kids size popcorn or biscuits or whatever and drink. You have two kids that's $6 Where is this $40 coming from? Why do YOU have to have the biggest 1500 calorie box of popcorn & 1 litre full-fat coca-cola for yourself just so that your kids don't complain. Doesn't make any goddamn sense, you fat fucks.

Where do you live that popcorn only costs 3 dollars.  Dude they charge 8 dollars just for a bottle of water!!!! 

• Like 1