WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

Regarding the Civil War numbers, they are in no way a failure nor is the movie underperforming. It was just the hype/tracking and critical and audience reception that had a lot of folks thinking Marvel could grow their audience and I think what we're seeing now is that 1.3 or 1.4 is probably the absolute maximum at this point for an Avengers related tie-in. 

The reason the trolls are out in full force is a combination of things but Marvel fans can't be spending weeks telling people that $875M for another movie is a "flop" but $1.1B is fantastic.  It doesn't make sense. $1.1B is fantastic and $875M is really really good.  It's only a disappointment because of how much sources have said that WB spent on production/advertising. 

This back and forth between fans was always terrible. I imagine the crossover between the two franchises is massive so its just an odd thing. Personally, I want both of them to do well.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Regarding the Civil War numbers, they are in no way a failure nor is the movie underperforming. It was just the hype/tracking and critical and audience reception that had a lot of folks thinking Marvel could grow their audience and I think what we're seeing now is that 1.3 or 1.4 is probably the absolute maximum at this point for an Avengers related tie-in. 

The reason the trolls are out in full force is a combination of things but Marvel fans can't be spending weeks telling people that $875M for another movie is a "flop" but $1.1B is fantastic.  It doesn't make sense. $1.1B is fantastic and $875M is really really good.  It's only a disappointment because of how much sources have said that WB spent on production/advertising. 

This back and forth between fans was always terrible. I imagine the crossover between the two franchises is massive so its just an odd thing. Personally, I want both of them to do well.

Go away. People who use logic aren't welcome here.

• Like 10

Oh man, the Star Wars threads are gonna be hilarious here, like this is gonna be stuff of legends.

I predict suicide watches when Episode 8 "only" opens to 208m OW and drops to a dismal 600m ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

Just now, The Futurist said:

Oh man, the Star Wars are gonna be hilarious here, like this is gonna be stuff of legends.

I predict suicide watches when Episode 8 "only" opens to 208m OW and drops to a dismal 600m ...

I predict a higher opening than that but worse legs. $600m seems about right as of now.

• Like 1

I'm not doing the stuff about the weekend for this weekend today. Just Angry Birds will leg and make $140 million domestic, Neighbors 2 should make between $60-$70 million domestic. The Nice Guys should make over $30 million domestic. Overall, May 2016 is going to be the least attended since between 2005-2006. 

3 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Are Star Wars fans more irritable than Marvel/DC fans?

Not really but they will make the same mistake, consider that 900m dom & 2B WW is the new normal for the franchise and consider anything that is not close to that a disapointment.

41 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think most Marvel fans think $1.1b is fine, but nothing to write home about. I don't see many people calling $875m a flop and $1.1b AMAZING. More like $875m is a disappointment while $1.1b is just good enough. Assuming the same budget which is already questionable since BvS has been rumored to be more in the realm of $300m.

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

$1b WW isn't what it used to be, I think that isn't stated enough. It's a great number but it's no longer "HOLY BLEEP," fot major studio releases.

$1.5m is the new $1b now. (Not as sexy-sounding of a number, tho.)

• Like 3

The fact that Disney will have 3 x $1 billion movies by the 1st half of 2016 mark already says a lot about how that milestone isn't that hard anymore. 

Granted, I'm sure many other studios are not feeling the same way. I'm sure Fox would love for just one of their X-Men films to get to that sweet $1b mark.

Edited by moviesRus
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I just wanna say...

Your name is rad. 

• Like 5