WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

2 hours ago, RichWS said:

This can't be stressed enough. It's like the ninth season of a TV show; you're gonna have a really hard time expanding your audience at this point. 

You're right but it's going to happen to all universes including Star Wars. Once the current trilogy ends, the numbers will also drop. The question is what range does it drops to.

If the biggest Marvel films is able to maintain the 400-450 million range (even high 300's), Disney will be very happy.

All franchises but one (Star Wars) would be happy with that result.

5 minutes ago, ProtoMan said:

You're right but it's going to happen to all universes including Star Wars. Once the current trilogy ends, the numbers will also drop. The question is what range does it drops to.

If the biggest Marvel films is able to maintain the 400-450 million range (even high 300's), Disney will be very happy.

All franchises but one (Star Wars) would be happy with that result.

I know. I'm not saying it's bad. Any studio would kill for it. 

The poorly reviewed, bad WoM, fatigued PoS sequel to a 10 year reboot, ASM2 that was so bad they cancelled #3, held - 52.7% against Neighbors 25m second weekend and Godzillas OW of 93m while losing most of it premium screens in its 3rd weekend.

CA3 -54.4% :sadben:

You guys crack me up with your denial.

Next week spidey held -53.4 for 3 day memorial against x-men 90m, and Godzillas 30m, about what alice and x-men will do this weekend combined. 

Not piracy?

O/U 53.4 % $10 donation to your $10. And I'll throw in a $20 fandango card. I of course say over 53.4% drop. First two posters...

AoU and Im3 held 44 and 46% on MDW

AoU had very little competition. IM3

IM3 had FF6 OW and STrek 2nd weekend.

Edited by No Prisoners

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Omg at those X-men numbers. Not a bomb but looking at the UK and Austrailia numbers...holy crap. This could open less than $70M for the 3 day. This could open with less than half of what Deadpool made its opening weekend. Embarrassing. Especially for a film with a $235M budget not including marketing. Less than $200M domestic is happening. 

I'm thinking 70-80m would be a good OW for this.  Wouldn't it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

The Australia # is definitely the least encouraging.. Down over 30% from DOFP

A proportional drop in the US would mean a $63M 3-day OW

:kitschjob:

I don't believe it

38 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

The poorly reviewed, bad WoM, fatigued PoS sequel to a 10 year reboot, ASM2 that was so bad they cancelled #3, held - 52.7% against Neighbors 25m second weekend and Godzillas OW of 93m while losing most of it premium screens in its 3rd weekend.

Next week spidey held -53.4 for 3 day memorial against x-men 90m, and Godzillas 30m, about what alice and x-men will do this weekend combined. 

Not piracy?

O/U 53.4 % $10 donation to your $10. And I'll throw in a $20 fandango card. I of course say over 53.4% drop. First two posters...

Dude, people are just getting tired of it.

The Avengers was clearly the ceiling when everything went right and it became an event for people who don't normally watch superhero movies. 

I thought it was decent, so did my friends, but we all seem to agree that it is just more of the same. People are going to skip them because they are no longer event movies. There will be what, 6 or 7 this year? 

Anyway, I'm done answering you. It's so sad that you are clinging on to this. No one cares. Not Disney or RDJ or Marvel or most of the posters here. It's made $1B. Boo hoo. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Not piracy?

Yeah, and one opened to $91M, while the other opened to $179M... which is almost the former movie's entire domestic run in 3 days.

It's also much easier to drop from week-ends with huge previews. Civil War had previews 3 times bigger than Amazing Spider-Man 2. The next week-end was bound to drop a lot more just due to that.

What are you trying to prove exactly? We all know it's getting meh-legs, I don't think I've seen anyone argue to the contrary? 

• Like 2

Apolcalypse did 4.8m USD in Australian OW. That's 37.9% down from DOFP's 7.725m USD.

It did 10.5m USD in UK. 31.8% down from DOFP's 15.4m USD.

Even though Australia and Dom are usually in sync, I think as Jackman is Australian, him not being in this film had a bigger effect there. So I don't expect that big a fall Dom.

UK's 32% drop from DOFP's ow could be replicated and would give a 3-day/4-day of 61.7m/75.2m

30% down gives 63.6m/77.4m.

25% down gives  68.1m/82.9m.

Sounds low but sadly 70m/85m looks like the best case scenario and 61.5m/75m hopefully the worst-case.

DOFP did 2.57x off the 3-day. I don't see more than 2.30-2.35x for X:A.

Using a 3-day of 61.5-70m, 2.30-2.35x gives 141-165m.

The 32% drop in the UK may reflect exchange rates, as well as weaker sales. The slippage is there in pounds, but may be less prominent. We don't have the final numbers, but the initial estimate is 7.3 million pounds (UK thread), and DoFP did 9.14 million pounds (article referenced above). A solid drop, but less steep (~21%)

That works out to 71M. I think we are looking at 150-165 domestic, which is surely a blow for Fox and the X-Men.

Edited by superweirdo87

44 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Dude, people are just getting tired of it.

The Avengers was clearly the ceiling when everything went right and it became an event for people who don't normally watch superhero movies. 

I thought it was decent, so did my friends, but we all seem to agree that it is just more of the same. People are going to skip them because they are no longer event movies. There will be what, 6 or 7 this year? 

Anyway, I'm done answering you. It's so sad that you are clinging on to this. No one cares. Not Disney or RDJ or Marvel or most of the posters here. It's made $1B. Boo hoo. 

I'm getting tired of hearing it's not piracy. You all say it without backing it up with anything. The numbers continue to show it and you all can't stfu about it not being piracy. So it's simple take the bet or stfu and so will I

45 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Yeah, and one opened to $91M, while the other opened to $179M... which is almost the former movie's entire domestic run in 3 days.

It's also much easier to drop from week-ends with huge previews. Civil War had previews 3 times bigger than Amazing Spider-Man 2. The next week-end was bound to drop a lot more just due to that.

What are you trying to prove exactly? We all know it's getting meh-legs, I don't think I've seen anyone argue to the contrary? 

The point is that's meh legs compared to each of the last 3 may openers. All of them not considered as good. Small or large OW.

Prove? The truth. It's piracy not fatigue. The numbers back me up and so will Disney at some point

• Like 1

On 5/22/2016 at 0:27 AM, tonytr87 said:

I typically don't put much stock in Cinemascore, but the B- score for Nice Guys makes me worried about the state of moviegoing right now and in the future. That movie's a crowdpleaser. 

Civil War has absolutely nothing to do with piracy on any measurable scale.  It has everything to do with essentially being a the least family friendly Marvel release that requires the audience to have seen a minimum of 4 other movies to have even a vague clue what is happening.  It is also serious and not a whole lot of fun outside a couple scenes.  

Great movie, but not exactly high on the re-watchable scale and not the type of movie that is going to draw the older crowd that gives movies legs due to it being such a hard movie to follow unless you have seen a bunch of other Marvel movie.  

Seriously, if someone walked into this cold, it would be like walking into Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  You would be completely lost.  

Edited by nilephelan
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

The point is that's meh legs compared to each of the last 3 may openers. All of them not considered as good. Small or large OW.

Prove? The truth. It's piracy not fatigue. The numbers back me up and so will Disney at some point

You do realize the entire forum has been mocking you & BKB for two weeks straight on this right? To the point it's beyond not funny anymore... Just please stop for your own good & for the sake of this joke finally going away.

• Like 3