WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

Neighbors 2 is looking to loose 50% or more of the original's gross but I guess that's expected. Yet another comedy sequel that no one really asked for. The Hangover Part II, 22 Jump Street, and Pitch Perfect 2 were exceptions to the rule.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

Neighbors 2 is looking to loose 50% or more of the original's gross but I guess that's expected. Yet another comedy sequel that no one really asked for. The Hangover Part II, 22 Jump Street, and Pitch Perfect 2 were exceptions to the rule.

Speaking of Pitch Perfect, I'm expecting a big drop for PP3.  It's time to be more cautious when predicting comedy sequels.  Neighbors 2 might've ruined my summer game

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Speaking of Pitch Perfect, I'm expecting a big drop for PP3.

I am too.

I always had the feeling PP2 did so well because so much of the first one's cult fandom never got to catch it in theaters. (That and they really dumbed down the jokes in the trailers for the mainstream, leading to a wider audience.)

Edited by department store basement

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm trying to figure out the difference between those movies and Neighbors 2, Horrible Bosses 2 and Ted 2.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm trying to figure out the difference between those movies and Neighbors 2, Horrible Bosses 2 and Ted 2.

I think Hangover benefited from a MASSIVE predecessor and a good marketing campaign, Pitch Perfect gained most of its following on home video, and Jump Street had better reviews than the first, with the first itself still being very well liked.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The Hangover and Pitch Perfect became pop culture items and everyone wanted more of the Tatum/Hill chemistry. The other three were movies that people enjoyed and then forgot about afterwards.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Hangover and Pitch Perfect became pop culture items and everyone wanted more of the Tatum/Hill chemistry. The other three were movies that people enjoyed and then forgot about afterwards.

Ted ain't chopped liver. $200m+ dom.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

The other three were movies that people enjoyed and then forgot about afterwards.

I can see that for HB and Neighbors but no one forgot about Ted.

Ted 2 dropped so hard because the first one sold itself on a gimmick and people weren't buying it the second time, and because people had tired of McFarlane's offensive style (the ones who hadn't been turned off already got turned off by Million Ways).

• Like 2

I still don't know how Ted had good WOM at all. It's a completely stupid movie and thankfully I think people eventually realized that judging by Ted 2s performance, even if at the time the gimmick paid off. I don't think repeat viewings were kind to it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still don't know how Ted had good WOM at all. It's a completely stupid movie and thankfully I think people eventually realized that judging by Ted 2s performance, even if at the time the gimmick paid off. I don't think repeat viewings were kind to it. 

Ted is awesome

• Like 1

Just now, department store basement said:

Is he goofier than he is in Lars and the Real Girl? That's the goofiest performance I've seen him in, with Gangster Squad a close second.

Haven't seen Lars.

But he's really goofy in this. A lot of good mugging for the camera and physical comedy.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Speaking of Pitch Perfect, I'm expecting a big drop for PP3.  It's time to be more cautious when predicting comedy sequels.  Neighbors 2 might've ruined my summer game

It's going to decrease but I don't see it dipping below 140M