WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

30 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

So, assuming it finishes around $410-$415 million domestically, how does the CW OW multiplier compare to the rest of post-Avengers MCU films?

I'm just curious if there's any sort of trend forming.

Taking 170m+ openers,

CW will be 2.29-2.32x.

AOU was 2.40x.

IM3 was 2.35x.

TA was 3.00x.

btw CA2 was 2.73x but looking at it's relatively small OW (95m) and small ratio of previews (10.2m previews x 9.3 = 95 ow), not worth comparing I guess.

Edited by a2knet

9 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The marketing certainly wasn't subtle.

I find it funny that prior to BvS's disappointment WB had the Disney marketing strategy (promote your bigger releases to death and dump your smaller ones) but after that they started heavily promoting Keanu and Nice Guys which were never going to have a wide audience anyway and whose grosses reflected that. They're heavily promoting Me Before You as well (which they probably wouldn't have done last year).

Edited by department store basement

Just now, CJohn said:

More anecdotal evidence, but all my friends went to see Civil War because of Iron Man (none of them saw Winter Soldier in theaters) and we all know this only opened so big WW because of Iron Man being in it. But after seeing the movie, we realize this is in fact a Captain America movie, even if it was sold in a similar way to an Avengers movie (even though it has Captain America in the title). That may have hurt his legs. 

I read in the South Korea forum on the speculation that the viewers were Team Iron Man and with the big revel that Cap knew at the end, didn't play well with the audience and they started to hate the Cap character.  

Thats a huge problem. You shouldn't leave the theater hating the main character.

• Like 3

Just now, Hatebox said:

Same as most people - a riveting first half followed by a second that couldn't quite keep up. I've thought about it a lot since.

yeah that seems to be the consensus. I thought the second half was great though, just not quite as great as the first half. In an ideal world the whole thing would be set in the hotel, but regardless I thought the movie was fab. :) 

• Like 1

As a parent of a soon-to-be 21-month-old, it really hasn't been that difficult getting out to the movies (or at least not as bad as I feared it would be before he was born- thank god for reliable babysitters/family). But the issue (apart from limited movie money these days) is that there isn't much to get excited for, and going to the movies isn't an obligation.

June 2016 preview(a little early but whatever): After a weak May, June could maybe lighten things with Finding Dory, Central Intelligence, and  Independence Day:Resurgence possibly bringing in most of the business. As well as possibly  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:Out Of Shadows, and The Conjuring 2.                                     June 3rd:                                         At the beginning of June starts off with the live action sequel to 2014's  hit Teenage Mutant Turtles which opened with $65 million and exited with $191 million domestic and made $493 million worldwide. It's a strong possibility that Out Of Shadows will likely not debut as big as it's predcessor but should open around $50 million or around other June openers like X-Men:First Class and Snow White And The Huntsman and do just fine overseas and possibly outgross it's the first film's domestic total overseas. While the other two new releases will not be as big with the romantic drama Me Before You, and R-rated Andy Samberg/Judd Appatow comedy Pop star:Never Stop Never Stop Popping. Romantic dramas have been sucessful at the beginning of June with The Fault In Our Stars($48 million OW onto $124 million domestic), although that a big fanbase Me Before You has a different type of audience with adults and should serve as a decent counterprogrammer and make around the domestic total of Water For Elephants($58 million). As for the last new release of this weekend,  the Andy Samberg/Judd Apatow R-rated comedy Popstar Never Stop Never Stop Popping, Andy Samberg is sucessful with TV with Brooklyn Nine Nine on FOX and former SNL alum(The Lonely Island will be in the film as well) But Samberg isn't that popular on the big screen with his first film Hot Rod nearly 10 years ago made around $15 million domestic and That's My Boy didn't even make it to $40 million domestic 4 years ago so that's a not a great sign either. a debut for the film around That's My Boy seems like a good risk for it but nothing special and should likely fall off theaters before the 4th of July.                                                 June 10:                                               Three new releases are released this weekend a trouble production film based upon a popular video game franchise(Warcraft) and two sequels to films released on the summer of 2013(The Conjuring 2, and Now You See Me 2).                          Movies based upon video games are usually a mixed bag when there's a hit like Lara Croft Tomb Raider($131 million) or Angry Birds there's always a Need For Speed($43 million), or Doom($28 million). Warcraft has a big fanbase and is popular with its advertisements with famous celebrities(Chuck Norris, Ozzy Osbourne, and Mr. T) but as a film Warcraft is hurt by possibly a chance of possible bad word of mouth  and needs to have something to butts into a seat. A good scenario for Warcraft is Hercules which debuted with $29 million and made $72 million domestic 2 summers ago.                       The first sequel of the weekend is horror film The Conjuring 2, which The Conjuring was released back in July 2013 and debuted with $41 million and made $137 million domestic then a year its spinoff/prequel Annabelle made $37 million opening and made $84 million domestic. With, director James Wan coming back and the two main characters coming back as well could bring solid business and possibly lead the weekend considering that horror fans haven't had a horror film really this year and is possibly the most anticipated horror film of the year. Look for The Conjuring 2 to be a decent success but nothing close to its predcessor, but still be a  decent counterprogrammer with audiences.                                         Other sequel Now You See Me 2 might not be as sucessful as The Conjuring 2. Also in the summer 2013, Now You See Me was a sleeper hit which debuted with $29 million and made $117 million domestic, that's very unlikely for its sequel. With, very little marketing effort that Lionsgate has even with the addition of Daniel Radcliffe to the film isn't helping at all. It's likely that Now You See Me 2 won't even come close to half of the first film's domestic total.                                 June 17:                                                                 With much anticipation,  Finding Dory comes out and Finding Nemo back in 2003 was a hit($380 million domestic) including a re-release back in 2012 and made nearly $50 million domestic. Finding Dory also has the benefit of Pixar's success train(although The Good Dinosaur underperformed) and should help out with the families off school so it should be a decent hit.                               Other release, buddy Comedy Central Intelligence with Kevin Hart and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Both stars are very popular draws and are very popular on social media. Look for Central Intelligence to be the highest grossing comedy of the summer.                                                On Saturday I"ll share my thoughts onIndependence Day:Resurgance, Free State Of Jones, and The Shallows so stay tuned.

• Like 2

X-men really took away a lot of screens from Civil War here. 

But the word of mouth around X-men isn't very good here. I'll be going to see it with the family next week regardless. I've always generally found things that I like in all the X-men movies. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Gas isn't much of a factor here in the States, at least for most. 

and there are usually theaters not that far away for most people.  and fast food restaurants galore, for people that don't want to eat in the theater (or sneak food or drink into the theater).  also most theaters have unlimited popcorn and soda refills, so you only have to really buy one popcorn bucket for the family.