WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

3 minutes ago, department store basement said:

A lot of my friends used to play Fruit Ninja, but they didn't really have any attachment to it. It wasn't a phenomenon like Cut the Rope or Doodle Jump let alone Angry Birds.

:rofl:

I haven't even heard of Doodle Jump. In my assessment, Fruit Ninja is a close runner for second place in terms of popular smartphone games.

26 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Agreed but Melissa McCarthy, and Tom Cruise can pull off a 20+ debut.

That's the best most stars can hope for these days, really.

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

In certain genres, yes but then so can other stars in specific genres.  

It's less about the star and more concept nowadays. Few actors are true draws.

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

:rofl:

I haven't even heard of Doodle Jump. In my assessment, Fruit Ninja is a close runner for second place in terms of popular smartphone games.

The remark was in the context of my friends - Doodle Jump was far more popular than Fruit Ninja among them.

I wasn't talking about everyone in the world, cannastop.

• Like 2

Just now, La Binoche said:

Tom Cruise 1983 - 1996

Tom Hanks 1988 - 2000 

Julia Roberts 1989 - 2000 

The most impressive periods of actors as box office draws that I can think of. But even they had flops during those periods. 

Uh, why did you stop at 1996 for Tom Cruise?

Why not at least until 2005 with War of the Worlds?

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

The biggest problem with making a movie out of Fruit Ninja is that there are no characters and no plot. At least Angry Birds has recognizable characters (though they had no personality before the movie) and a thin plot.

On the flip side, I suppose, that means a clean slate to create whatever you want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

The remark was in the context of my friends - Doodle Jump was far more popular than Fruit Ninja among them.

I wasn't talking about everyone in the world, cannastop.

You can't really use the world "phenomenon" when you're just talking about your group of friends, department store basement.

• Like 2

I'm seeing Neighbors 2 and The Nice Guys tomorrow.

And today, family is in town and we're considering having a family night and watching 2 movies from the hotel room in the still in theaters section. We're thinking about Eddie the Eagle and Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (missed both in theaters). Enjoy the weekend!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

Tom Cruise 1983 - 1996

Tom Hanks 1988 - 2000 

The most impressive periods of actors as box office draws that I can think of. But even they had flops during those periods. 

Will Smith 1995-2008. Only Wild Wild West, Bagger Vance, and Ali were disappointments during that time period.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Uh, why did you stop at 1996 for Tom Cruise?

Why not at least until 2005 with War of the Worlds?

Cuz he took a long break after 1996 and came back with artsy films that struggled at the box office: Eyes Wide Shut and Magnolia.

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

Cuz he took a long break after 1996 and came back with artsy films that struggled at the box office: Eyes Wide Shut and Magnolia.

Vanilla Sky made $100M dom, lol.

Edited by cannastop

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Tom Cruise 1983 - 1996

Tom Hanks 1988 - 2000 

Maybe Eastwood from 1971 - 1985 or so as well. Different era, I know. Also perhaps Harrison Ford from 1980 - 1995.

1 minute ago, Jack Nevada said:

Had a legit meltdown over the Fruit Ninja movie. I'm done. Fuck it. Movies are dead. Cinema as an art form is dead. Hollywood needs to burn. 

Don't forget the Tetris trilogy that was announced days ago. 

I'm gonna pick up medieval poetry or some shit, my days of being a movie fan are over. Tetris movie is just the beginning. It's only gotta get worse.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

But what is Fruit Ninja really other than slicing fruits? There's not much to go from it.

Sky's the limit. I assume it'll be animated. Maybe the fruit are bad guys and our protagonist, who always aspired to be a ninja (but was rejected) has to step up to be the hero he always wanted to be. Get Jay Baruchel. Done. Sells itself.

edit: the big bad villain can be a giant slice of greasy unhealthy Finnish pizza.

• Like 4