baumer

Baumer's 50 most important films of all time (JFK 3, Earthlings 2.....FREE YOUR MIND! THE MATRIX NUMBER 1)

32 minutes ago, Baumer said:

This list isn't about your favourite films or even mine, but what films I think have done something to be either extremely important in my eyes (like Free Willy and the film coming up at number 7) or a film that has done something to change Hollywood or something to define it.  TDK is paramount to the change the oscars went through for 2009.

what oscar change?

17 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

what oscar change?

Before The Dark Knight's release, the Oscar nominees for Best Picture only went up to 5, and very rarely did big-budget tentpoles get much attention from the Academy. In 2008, Dark Knight and Wall-E took the world by storm and were acclaimed by pretty much everyone, but they weren't nominated, and instead, each slot was given to movies that were good, but nowhere near as strong as those summer blockbusters, resulting in backlash from film fans demanding that these crowd-pleasers are just as, if not more strong than those Oscar bait dramas. Because of the heavy backlash, the Academy decided to expand the Best Picture category to 10, which gave helped give BP noms to movies like Avatar, Up, Toy Story 3, and Inception. They did do some changes here and there with how many BP nominees would be given each year, but even now, movies like Gravity, The Martian, and Mad Max: Fury Road are being placed with movies like Philomena and Argo, making the BP roster far more diverse as a result.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2016 at 0:34 PM, Lordmandeep said:

Triumph of the Will I  think is a good watch as its likely the best made propaganda film ever.

Birth of The Nation to a modern audience has no value. 

Its a masterful use of imagery. Pretty much all of the most enduring images you see today of that regime(besides the Holocaust of course) come from that film.  I remember having to watch parts of it in world history in high school and my usually talkative/rowdy class being eerily silent at the scale of some of the shit in there.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Baumer said:

????

At the end of the nineties, a nutjob form NeW Zealand had this crazy idea to adapt the Lord of The Rings with 3 films.

Believe it or not but a the time, every studio in town said no to him, they were kinda ready to do it with one film but not three or at least not with this crazy idea to shoot three big ass movies at once.

The CEO from Newline, thanx to the money stream from Freddy, agreed to produce and finance the LOTR trilogy and as they say, the rest is History ...

There s a documentary about New Line on a freddy DVD/BLu ray and it is called : Newline, The House that Freddy Built.

So Freddy Changed History, big time.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

At the end of the nineties, a nutjob form NeW Zealand had this crazy idea to adapt the Lord of The Rings with 3 films.

Believe it or not but a the time, every studio in town said no to him, they were kinda ready to do it with one film but not three or at least not with this crazy idea to shoot three big ass movies at once.

The CEO from Newline, thanx to the money stream from Freddy, agreed to produce and finance the LOTR trilogy and as they say, the rest is History ...

There s a documentary about New Line on a freddy DVD/BLu ray and it is called : Newline, The House that Freddy Built.

So Freddy Changed History, big time.

Did I not mention that? I mentioned that new line became the giant it did and was able to make the movies that it did all because of Freddy. I have seen that documentary and that is the main reason why I included Nightmare on Elm Street as one of the most important films ever made. Without Freddy there would be no Lord of the Rings. Read my piece that I posted I'm pretty sure I said something like that in it.

• Like 3

Actors still to come on the list

Cuba Gooding Jr

Sissy Space

Joe Pesci

Jamie Lee Curtis

C Thomas Howell

7 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Cuba Gooding Jr

Sissy Space

Joe Pesci

Jamie Lee Curtis

C Thomas Howell

Snow Dogs

An American Haunting

Gone Fishin'

Christmas with the Kranks

The Day the Earth Stopped

Nailed it!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Baumer said:

Number 17

The Dark Knight (2008)

Christian Bale, Heath Ledger

Directed by Chris Nolan

dn.jpg

Box office:  534.8 million and 1 billion WW

Quick:  A comic book movie that changed the Oscars

Imdb Summary:  The follow-up to Batman Begins, The Dark Knight reunites director Christopher Nolan and star Christian Bale, who reprises the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in his continuing war on crime. With the help of Lt. Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent, Batman sets out to destroy organized crime in Gotham for good. The triumvirate proves effective. But soon the three find themselves prey to a rising criminal mastermind known as The Joker, who thrusts Gotham into anarchy and forces Batman closer to crossing the fine line between hero and vigilante.

Why it's important:  It's not that comic book movies weren't taken seriously before 2008 and it's not like they were after, but when The Dark Knight was shut out of the Oscar nominations and more inferior Weinsteins crap was there in it's place, it caused an uproar and it was the year after that the nominations went from 5 to the possibility of 10.  This is pretty historic.  It's also a film imo that will be the bench mark for all comic book films to follow.  This is about as perfect a film as you will find.  

Why it's important to me:  Maybe one of these days, down the road, I'll do a countdown on my opinion of the 50 greatest film performances of all time.  Heath's would be top 5, maybe even the best I've ever seen.  That alone makes it a monumentally important film.  Roger Ebert kind of echoes my thoughts: 

Batman” isn’t a comic book anymore. Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight” is a haunted film that leaps beyond its origins and becomes an engrossing tragedy. It creates characters we come to care about. That’s because of the performances, because of the direction, because of the writing, and because of the superlative technical quality of the entire production. This film, and to a lesser degree “Iron Man,” redefine the possibilities of the “comic-book movie.”   “The Dark Knight” is not a simplistic tale of good and evil. Batman is good, yes, The Joker is evil, yes. But Batman poses a more complex puzzle than usual: The citizens of Gotham City are in an uproar, calling him a vigilante and blaming him for the deaths of policemen and others. And the Joker is more than a villain. He’s a Mephistopheles whose actions are fiendishly designed to pose moral dilemmas for his enemies.

BAUMER I LOVE YOU

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I ll have a write up on Terminator 2 soon.

Cuba Gooding Jr

Sissy Space

Joe Pesci

Jamie Lee Curtis

C Thomas Howell