baumer

Baumer's 50 most important films of all time (JFK 3, Earthlings 2.....FREE YOUR MIND! THE MATRIX NUMBER 1)

I'm glad you've seen it at least @JohnnyGossamer

@IronJimbo I did think about having Avatar on the list but ultimately it is a bit too soon. I'm at least.

@Jake Gittes and @Telemachos it's been about a decade since I last tried to watch Kane. Perhaps it's time to try again

@Rth and the Beast @Empire....we're making a forums guide for the newcomers.....we're discussing all different nuances about the site and the box office.  I wrote this about the two of you....are you guys ok with this?

Our sources....our Gods.....our two ASGARD DEITIES:  RTH and Empirecity are our two inside guys.  We don't know who they work for and we don't ask.  But they have access to raw numbers from the theatres or from Rentrak or wherever they get them from.  When you see the name ASGARD OR ASGARD 2 in the title of a thread, that means it's from either of them.  IF YOU EVER OPEN A DAILY NUMBERS THREAD, NEVER EVER EVER........EEEEVVVVEEERRRR USE RTH OR EMPIRE IN THE TITLE.  The title is always with Asgard or Asgard 2.

If you are....just pick any thread and use the @ symbol to notify me,.......just say YES or NO

• Like 3

the thing about Star Wars is I love it and I am definitely a Star Wars movie but it's not a film that completely shaped my youth. I was much more into Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jaws and Back to the Future and teen movies and horror films and that kind of stuff. It wasn't until I got a little bit older that Star Ward became so important to me.

• Like 1

Number 4

Jaws (1975)

Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss, Robert Shaw

Directed by Steven Spielberg

You yell barracuda, everybody says hunh, what?  You yell shark, we've got a panic on our hands on the fourth of July

hqdefault.jpg

6df35bfa59e742c694860725f6398e17a7ae958.

jaws-scheider.jpg

Box office:  260 million and 470 WW

Quick:  Changed the way films were released

Imdb summary:  It's a hot summer on Amity Island, a small community whose main business is its beaches. When new Sheriff Martin Brody discovers the remains of a shark attack victim, his first inclination is to close the beaches to swimmers. This doesn't sit well with Mayor Larry Vaughn and several of the local businessmen. Brody backs down to his regret as that weekend a young boy is killed by the predator. The dead boy's mother puts out a bounty on the shark and Amity is soon swamped with amateur hunters and fisherman hoping to cash in on the reward. A local fisherman with much experience hunting sharks, Quint, offers to hunt down the creature for a hefty fee. Soon Quint, Brody and Matt Hooper from the Oceanographic Institute are at sea hunting the Great White shark. As Brody succinctly surmises after their first encounter with the creature, they're going to need a bigger boat.

Why it's important:  

Jaws led the way for the start of blockbuster cinema - a new form of movie that was big on budget and audience-thrills. These movies have more crossover appeal with merchandising deals, endless sequels and gigantic marketing campaigns. Was this a good thing for cinema? That's a different debate for a different time, but Jaws changed the way studios thought about movies and the studio bosses began imagining movies as more than movies. The studios wanted a genuine phenomenon that would appeal to everybody from children to granddads - Jaws was the first movie to offer that.  Studios basically avoided the summer to release their films.  Jaws changed that.  Studios were worried that no one would want to sit inside a movie theater on a hot summer day when they could be outside.  Jaws changed that way thinking.  It was also the first film to make 100 million in receipts.  Jaws basically changed everything in the minds of how to release and market a film.  

Jaws thrills you, it makes you laugh, it makes you care; its cheeriness never getting in the way of the scares and vice versa. Despite the gore and threat, Jaws somehow got away with a PG rating to ensure it had the maximum appeal as it stormed to overtake The Godfather as the highest-grossing movie of all time. Spielberg has always known how to tell a story and with Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan he desperately tried to top the thriller, but he never has and never will.

Why it's important to me:  I've gotten on my soap box for more than a decade telling you all why it's such an important film to me and why it's the best film ever made.  I won't repeat myself, instead, I'll pick a random review from imdb....they all echo the same sentiments I do.

It is redundant to write something outlining the fact that JAWS is a brilliant film. There is nothing that can be said at this point that hasn't already been said. People have written about the rubber shark. Everyone knows that the shark's name is Bruce. Everyone knows that it was named after Spielberg's lawyer. Everyone knows that the shark didn't work all the time. Everyone knows that Dreyfuss and Shaw didn't get along. The list goes on... Still, for some reason, this movie inspires people, myself included, to write, write, and write. More importantly, it inspires us to read, read, and read. We need to know that we're not all crazy for loving this movie. We need to know that we can sit there and heave a collective sigh of relief, of comfort, when we watch it. We need to know that there are others like us who love this movie on every level. It touches us. We are Chief Brody when we're scared. We get excited in a very geeky way over things we love like Hooper. We all have moments of bravado like Quint and we're happy to know that he gets scared too. Most of all- we love sharks. We can't help it. 

This movie is brilliant. There is not a single thing that you could do to it that would make it better. They haven't created an award with a broad enough scope that would be appropriate for this movie to win. It's an action movie, a horror movie, a buddy movie, a drama; it is everything. It is why we go to movies. 

If you have not seen this movie then stop what you are doing. I don't care if you are delivering a baby- it can wait. You can not go any further in your life without seeing JAWS. If you've seen it before- finish delivering the baby... then go watch it again.

• Like 11

Breaking-Dawn-Part-2-Wallpaper-twilight-

Box office:  292 mill and 829 WW

Quick Summary:  The most important YA film of all time

Imdb summary:  The final Twilight Saga begins with Bella now a vampire learning to use her abilities. And happy to see her daughter, Renesmee is flourishing. But when someone sees Renesmee do something that makes them think that she was turned. This person goes to the Volturi, because it is a violation to turn a child. And the penalty is death for both who turned the child into a vampire and the child, cause they deem a turned child too dangerous. Alice gets a vision of the Volturi coming after them. So the Cullens try to convince them that Renesmee is not a threat. So they ask friends and family to come stand with them. But when someone who has it in for the Volturi shows up and tells them they should be ready for a fight. And they get ready.

Why it's important:  Parents need to know that the final installment in the Twilight saga is a must-see movie for any fans (teen or otherwise) who've followed the series' page-to-screen adaptations -- as well as stars Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart's public relationship. The movie is fairly faithful to the second half of the Breaking Dawn book, except that it amplifies the violent nature of the book's climactic battle between the Cullens and the Volturi. Several characters are tortured, violently beheaded, burned, ripped apart by werewolves, etc., and there are some shocking deaths (though, overall, not much gore). There's one long, sensuous love scene (with close-ups of bare skin and faces and a glimpse of the side of Bella's breast, but nothing more graphic than that), as well as several passionate kisses between various couples. Language is minimal, as in all of the movies in the series.  

The film received mixed reviews from critics, but the reviews were much more favorable than those of its predecessor. At Rotten Tomatoes, the film currently holds a 48% rotten rating, based on 178 reviews with the consensus stating: "It's the most entertaining Twilight, but that's not enough to make Breaking Dawn Part 2 worth watching for filmgoers who don't already count themselves among the franchise converts. It did receive a positive reaction from the RT Community, giving it a fresh rating of "71% The majority of the fan base and average reviewer gave it a solid, "A" on sites like Fandango. At Metacritic it holds a score of 52 out of 100, based on 31 reviews. The majority of praise from both fans and critics went towards the ending sequence, Michael Sheen's performance as the Volturi leader Aro and Lee Pace's performance as vampire Garrett.

Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter wrote, "The final installment of the immortal Bella/Edward romance will give its breathlessly awaiting international audience just what it wants".  Owen Gleiberman ofEntertainment Weekly said, "Breaking Dawn – Part 2 starts off slow but gathers momentum, and that's because, with Bella and Edward united against the Volturi, the picture has a real threat". Sara Stewart of theNew York Post wrote, "Finally, someone took the source material at its terribly written word and stopped treating the whole affair so seriously". Justin Chang of Variety praised the performance of Stewart by saying, "No longer a mopey, lower-lip-biting emo girl, this Bella is twitchy, feral, formidable and fully energized, a goddess even among her exalted bloodsucker brethren". Manohla Dargis of The New York Times said, "Despite the slow start Mr. Condon closes the series in fine, smooth style. He gives fans all the lovely flowers, conditioned hair and lightly erotic, dreamy kisses they deserve".

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film two and a half stars out of four, saying "its audience, which takes these films very seriously indeed, will drink deeply of its blood. The sensational closing sequence cannot be accused of leaving a single loophole, not even some of those we didn't know were there". However, he concluded by saying, ""Breaking Dawn, Part 2" must be one of the more serious entries in any major movie franchise... it bit the bullet, and I imagine fans will be pleased."

Why it's important to me:  Breaking Dawn Part two is incredibly faithful to the book and this makes it one of the greatest films to end a series.  I've never hidden my love for the Twilight series and although some of the other films might be just good but not great, this one is terrific and iconic in so many ways.  It only came out 4 years ago but it's mark has been left ten fold.  Many franchises have tried to copy the formula and very few have managed to replicate the success of this monumental franchise.  Twilight might be the butt end of jokes by most of the male on line population but that's because they feel threatened by it.  Twilight is as important to cinema as any film from the last 10 years.

JUST JOKES EVERYONE

• Like 11

Number 3

JFK (1991)

Kevin Costner, Michael Rooker, Kevin Bacon, Walter Mathau, Joe Pesci

Directed by Oliver Stone

Are you calling the president a murderer? 

The story that won't go away

JFK-poster.png

Box office:  70 million and 205 WW

Quick:  An alternative the fairy tale known as the Warren Report

Imdb Summary:  "JFK" was and remains so controversial that any positive reviews (not to say they were characteristic) it received were dwarfed by the trashing to which it was subjected in the official press, which started well before it was released. This was disturbing, for what is the big need -- it is just a movie. But to so many "JFK" was not, it was somehow threatening.

Ultimately, it does not matter whether JFK's conclusion is correct, and I am even willing to give a little more license than I normally would to more-substantive, as well as less-important, inaccuracies, although I have my limits here too. But this movie's significance is just that it was made. For although other films had chronicled the events surrounding the assassination, none had in any substantial way sought to discredit the Warren Commission, as was so absolutely merited.

Regardless of your opinion on what really happened, it is my view that everyone should be critical of the media, which were so obsequious to the Warren Commission. The New York Times from the start referred to Oswald as the "assassin," not the "suspect." Life Magazine altered photos strongly suggesting a shot had been fired from the grassy knoll. Many years later, when being interviewed by Dan Rather about his film, Oliver Stone said to his face, referring to the event: "Where were you, Dan?"

Why it's important:  Roger Ebert:  I don't have the slightest idea whether Oliver Stone knows who killed President John F. Kennedy. I have no opinion on the factual accuracy of his 1991 film “JFK.” I don't think that's the point. This is not a film about the facts of the assassination, but about the feelings. “JFK” accurately reflects our national state of mind since Nov. 22, 1963. We feel the whole truth has not been told, that more than one shooter was involved, that somehow maybe the CIA, the FBI, Castro, the anti-Castro Cubans, the Mafia or the Russians, or all of the above, were involved. We don't know how. That's just how we feel.  

Shortly after the film was released, I ran into Walter Cronkite and received a tongue-lashing, aimed at myself and my colleagues who had praised “JFK.” There was not, he said, a shred of truth in it. It was a mishmash of fabrications and paranoid fantasies. It did not reflect the most elementary principles of good journalism. We should all be ashamed of ourselves.

I have no doubt Cronkite was correct, from his point of view. But I am a film critic and my assignment is different than his. He wants facts. I want moods, tones, fears, imaginings, whims, speculations, nightmares. As a general principle, I believe films are the wrong medium for fact. Fact belongs in print. Films are about emotions. My notion is that “JFK” is no more, or less, factual than Stone's “Nixon” or “Gandhi,” “Lawrence of Arabia,” “Gladiator,” “Amistad,” “Out of Africa,” “My Dog Skip” or any other movie based on “real life.” All we can reasonably ask is that it be skillfully made and seem to approach some kind of emotional truth.

Given that standard, “JFK” is a masterpiece. It's like a collage of all the books and articles, documentaries and TV shows, scholarly debates and conspiracy theories since 1963. We know the litany by heart: The grassy knoll, the hobos in dress shoes, the parade route, the Bay of Pigs, Lee Harvey Oswald in Russia, the two Oswalds, Clay Shaw, Allen Dulles, three shots in 2.6 seconds, the eyewitness testimony, the woman with the umbrella, the gunpowder tests, the palm print, Jack Ruby, the Military Industrial Complex, the wrong shadows on the photograph, the Zapruder film, and on and on. These items are like pegs on a child's workbench: We pound one down, and another one springs up.

Oliver Stone was born to make this movie. He is a filmmaker of feverish energy and limitless technical skills, able to assemble a bewildering array of facts and fancies and compose them into a film without getting bogged down. His secret is that he doesn't intend us to remember all his pieces and fit them together and arrive at logical conclusions. His film is not about the case assembled by his hero, New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison (Kevin Costner). It is about Garrison's obsession. The film's thrust is not toward truth, but toward frustration and anger. Too many lies have been told and too much evidence tainted for the truth to ever be known. All Garrison can reasonably hope to prove is that the official version is unlikely or impossible, and that tantalizing clues and connections suggest a hidden level on which the dots connect differently.

Stone was much criticized for choosing Garrison as his hero. Who should he have chosen? Earl Warren? Allen Dulles? Walter Cronkite? As a filmmaker, it is his assignment to find a protagonist who reflects his feelings. Jim Garrison may not have been on the right track, but he was a perfect surrogate for our national doubts. He asked questions that have never been satisfactorily answered -- that can have no answers, and indeed cannot even be questions, if the Warren Report orthodoxy is correct. Jim Garrison was the obvious hero for any film about a conspiracy to assassinate Kennedy.

Stone found the right visual style, too. We've been bombarded by incoming information. It's come for decades in films, in print, on the TV news, in documentaries, in photographs analyzed down to their constituent molecules. None of this stuff fits together. A film with a smooth and consistent visual style would have felt false. Stone and his expert cinematographer, Robert Richardson (who won the Oscar), work in every relevant visual medium: 35mm, 16mm, Super 8, 8mm, video, still photos, color, black and white. His editors, Joe Hutshing and Pietro Scalia, also Oscar winners, assemble this material like the pieces of a jigsaw. It's not linear; there's a sense of parallel events moving forward on more than one front at a time. Consider the scene with Garrison and his investigators in a restaurant, which is intercut with shots of the alleged fabrication of the photo of Oswald and the rifle. As the group breaks up in frustration, the trajectory of the other sequence lands the photo on the cover of Life magazine. Was the photo fabricated? Who knows? The shadows sure don't seem to match.

Of course it was also the Time-Life empire that supplied conspiracy theorists with their most valuable weapon, the Zapruder film. The conspirators, whoever they may have been, “didn't figure on Zapruder,” the film says. Without his grainy home movie, we would have no way of knowing that the shots were so closely spaced it seems unlikely Oswald could have fired all of them. Yes, I know about Gerald Posner's book Case Closed, which argues that everything could have happened more or less as the Warren Commission concluded. “JFK” argues, and most of us still agree, that Oswald's high-speed accuracy is hard to believe. It reflects our gut feelings. It speaks for our dark suspicions.

Stone uses a huge cast. To help us follow all those characters through the thicket of evidence, reconstructions, flashbacks, hypothetical meetings and fleeting glimpses, he makes use of typecasting and the star system. Actors such as Gary Oldman are chosen not just because they are very skilled, but because they look like the characters they play (Oswald, in his case). Stars like Jack Lemmon, Ed Asner, Walter Matthau, Kevin Bacon, Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek are used to create instant emotional zones around their characters. Less recognizable stars such as Michael Rooker are cast in satellite roles; he plays a key Garrison investigator. We recognize him every time he turns up on the screen, but he doesn't upstage the boss. And Kevin Costner, in the central role, brings all of his believability and likability and dogged determination to the character of Garrison: He's not a hotshot or a genius, but a stubborn man who gets mad when he's lied to.

There's a lot of exposition in the film. There are times when Stone essentially asks us to listen while a character explains things. These scenes could have been deadly. He makes them exciting by using persuasive actors, by cutting between many different points of view, and by reconstructing the events being described. The key narrator is “Mr. X,” the high-level Pentagon official played by Sutherland. Was there really a Mr. X? I doubt it. Does what he tells Garrison reflect thinking inside the military establishment in the early 1960s? It sounds likely more likely, certainly, than the pious platitudes of the official version.

The assassination of John F. Kennedy will obsess history as it has obsessed those whose lives were directly touched. The facts, such as they are, will continue to be elusive and debatable. Any factual film would be quickly dated. But “JFK” will stand indefinitely as a record of how we felt. How the American people suspect there was more to it than was ever revealed. How we suspect Oswald did not act entirely alone. That there was some kind of a conspiracy. “JFK” is a brilliant reflection of our unease and paranoia, our restless dissatisfaction. On that level, it is completely factual.

Why it's important to me:  In 1991, I was a young man of 19 years old.  I believed everything I saw on the news, what I read in magazines, was told by people in charge, I listened to my government and generally didn't question anything.  That all changed on January 1st 1992, my 20th birthday.  That was the day my high school sweetheart took me to see JFK.  My life was not the same after I left the theater.   There is no film that has changed me more than this film.  I think there is one film slightly more important (the other is a documentary).  I became who I am today starting with JFK.  This taught me that not everything is as it seems.  It also taught me that governments lie, that money rules the world and that men with power are very reluctant to give it up.  This got me into conspiracies and opened my eyes to what the world has taught us to do.  They want us to stay sleeping.  Like They Live, this is a film that begs you to wake up.  Is everything in here exactly the way it is written and filmed?  Doubtful, but i's a lot more truthful that the Warren Commission, which was spear headed by Allen Dulles, a man John Kennedy fired after the Bay of Pigs fiasco.  There were so many ridiculous elements to the Warren Report than it was more fiction than fact.  I digress.  The film JFK got me into a world I never knew existed.  I know many here think I'm a bit of a crackpot when it comes to which conspiracies I believe in (the 9/11 conspiracy is my bread and butter and there is a whole thread dedicated to it here).  But I believe strongly in these things.  I'm not as nuts as @Kalel009Shel but there are things he believes in that I do as well.  JFK started my awakening.  And I am a better person because of it.  

My review of JFK:    

No one is saying that this film is exactly what happened on Nov. 22nd 1963. Nobody is saying that this is the solution to the great mystery, but what Stone is saying is that this is one possible alternative to one of the grossest lies ever told to the American people and the rest of the world. People that attack this film and dismiss it for being propoganda are missing the point. If this is propoganda, then what the hell is the Warren Report that says that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone? A comic strip?

Forget politics for just one second and just look at the beauty of this film. Because that is one thing that is lost in all the politics of this film, we forget what a truly incredible work of art this is. You will never find a film that is better acted, better photographed, better directed or edited than this. You can't. This film is perfection on every level that is film. Now you can believe what you want to believe, but what you can't deny is how the film makes you feel. And for me, it made me mad that a crime like this could be committed. Is there really anyone out there that really thinks that LHO could really fire off three shots that quickly, 5.6 seconds with the acuracy that he did? Does anyone not find it strange that the final head shot caused his head to go back and to the left, not down and to the right ( which would happen if he was shot from the book depository )? We all know the inconsistencies with the case that are quite factual, the ones that are not embellished by Stone. Kennedy's brain did disappear, the limo was ordered clean so that evidence was impossible to come by. The parade route was changed, the protective bubble was removed, a proper sweep of the area was not conducted. People's testimonies were altered on FBI reports, David Ferry lied to Garrison, the Warren report was run by guys that Kennedy had once fired, suspicious deaths of people that testified in the Warren Report happened frequently, and the magic bullet theory is impossible. Seven wounds, one bullet, that is quite impossible. So if you take into account all that is irrefutable about the case and the movie, why do so many people get mad when an alternative theory is presented. Surely no one really buys into the Warren Report. Do they? How about Oswald being shot by David Ferry? Too many strange things surrounding this case for it to be closed as easily as it was. So now Stone comes along and has a different theory, a brave one, and people critisize him for it. Well at least he and Garrison were willing to look in other corners for the truth. Someone had to try.

To talk of the film in parts is futile because there is not one part of this film that lacks. The ensemble cast from Costner as Garrison, to John Candy as Dino, to Joe Pesci as a overly hyper David Ferry to Kevin Bacon as a Willy O' Keefe who thinks that Mr. Garrison is a good looking man, down to Michael Rooker, Wayne Knight, Sissy Spacek, Tommy Lee Jones, Jack Lemon, Walter Mathau, Donald Sutherland and Gary Oldman, every performance in here is remarkable. They make you feel like you know these characters. What Oliver Stone has done here is make one of the greatest if not the greatest motion picture I have ever seen. I still believe that Jaws is the best ever, but JFK is a close second. Except for it's politics, this film is not open for discussion in terms of how good a MOVIE it is. Strictly on a film level, the film is flawless.

Finally, there is one shot in this film that I think is the greatest shot ever in the history of the movies. At the very end of Garrison's speech, he says the words " It's up to you." And as he does, the camera gets level with his eyes, so that he is now speaking with every person that watched this film. And it is up to us to make the decision. Are we going to swallow all that we have been fed by the government over the years, or are we going to accept the fact that there is more to the story that what the Warren Report says there is? Maybe not Stone's version, but something. At least give Stone credit, he is the only one really brave enough to tackle something like this and live to tell about it. I'd love to see more films like this that question our government. Because they make you think. And that is always a good thing.

Oliver Stone has made an incredible film and it is one that should be watched at least once by everyone, especially by young people that don't know much about the case or the assassination. I was 19 when this film came out. I saw it and it changed my life. It made me open my eyes to lies and deceit that our government is capable of doing. And that is not reserved to the American government, it could be the Canadian, Australian, German whatever. It is important to question the official version of what is fed to us. And if you dig a little deeper, you will see there is always an alternative to what they want you to believe. This film opened my eyes to that. And I am a better person because of it.

• Like 10

Number 2

Earthlings (2005)

Joaquin Phoenix, produced my Maggie Q

Directed by Shaun Monson

earthlings1(1).jpg

Box office:  N/A

Quick: If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians (Paul McCartney)

Imdb Summary:  Using hidden cameras and never-before-seen footage, Earthlings chronicles the day-to-day practices of the largest industries in the world, all of which rely entirely on animals for profit. 

Why it's important:  No one has really even heard of this film

Why it's important to me:  I'll be brief, because even talking about this film gets me angry, sad and somewhat distraught.  

Earthlings is a documentary hosted by Joaquin Phoenix.  Using hidden camera footage, we see what really goes on a slaughterhouses, fur farms, bullfights, vivisection labs, animal experiments and so much more.  It's a film that ruined me and changed by ways.  I became a vegetarian (with the exception of fish) after seeing this film.  This is raw footage of torture and inhumanity towards other living and breathing animals.  They feel pain.  They are terrified and defenseless.  They have their beaks burned off with hot irons.  They have their eyes burned out with chemicals.  Street dogs are thrown into the back of a garbage truck on the streets of Turkey and crushed to death.  Monkeys are beaten, dogs are boiled live, dolphins are slaughtered.  And so on.  This is what is behind the curtain.  This is what's behind every fun and festive and entertaining jingle about your bologna having a first name.  This is what happens to animals behind the scenes at circuses.  I now tell everyone who is thinking of taking their kids to the circus to see the elephants that to get the elephants to comply, they are beaten with bamboo daily.  They have blow torches set to the bottom of their feet to make them stand on the hind legs.  While kids laugh and have a great time at the circus, these animals are terrified beyond belief.  Earthlings is the most hearthbreaking film I have ever seen.  I cried the whole time.  It's genocide out there folks.  That meat that you shovel into your mouths didn't die painlessly, in fact it's just the opposite.  Earthlings helped me finish my novel as well.  Joaquin Phoenix and Pam Anderson and Bob Barker and Ricky Gervais and Michael Bay and many others will always be heroes to me.  They're the ones who do something about this stuff.  I would encourage all of you, find this movie.  It will change your life....at least I hope it does.

• Like 10

Ok, I had some fun.

Yes, I told you I was going to follow in @The Panda footsteps......his trolling was epic....so I had to do it as well.

TWILIGHT IS NOT PART OF THIS LIST.....JUST HAVING SOME FUN

• Like 8