CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

To be fair, The Lion King 2019 has an 88% in the RT Audience Score. I think this happened before showing a ticket was necessary. So, the RT Audience Score doesn't tell me anything about quality.

I wouldn't bet a lot more money than Aladdin in domestic. It's proyected to make 120 Million domestic in the OW, which is more but not a lot more that Aladdin domestic OW.

TLK is under the new system iirc.

• Like 1

It never occurs to me to give a shit about audience scores but I suppose I can see why it’s a useful metric for a box office site. If someone were to maintain a database correlating those scores with eventual money made it would make for an  interesting read.

30 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

It never occurs to me to give a shit about audience scores but I suppose I can see why it’s a useful metric for a box office site. If someone were to maintain a database correlating those scores with eventual money made it would make for an  interesting read.

It's very useful. It helps to see whether audiences will agree or offset critic scores. If both are bad, the movie will likely not succeed. If the critic scores are really good, but the audience scores are not, we can possibly look at a decent OW but then see poor legs. If the critic score is really bad but audience scores are good, it means that a movie could have a slow burn and better legs. Plus, the audience score usually indicates what the cinemascore will likely be.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I want Disney to do Pocahontas so the original gets roasted by historians everywhere.

My first thought is that the people most likely to defend the movie against historical criticisms are the same people that are trying to boycott Disney right now, so I find that very funny lol.

• Like 2

They won’t touch it with a bargepole but Pocahontas would be a good one to redo precisely because you’d have to change so much from the original. A live action remake that would (gulp) threaten to be interesting on its own terms.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

I would say that TLM is the crux and apex of the live action remakes. Sure, Zegler may be a draw for Snow White, but SW doesn't scream NOSTALGIA since it was made in 1939. Nobody wants to see a shot by shot remake of it. Lilo and Stitch will be fun and games. I'd say that all the griping and moaning about remakes lives and dies with TLM and most others, especially after SW, will just float away in the wind. It always seemed to be about some of legendary movies (which are better left for D+) and the renaissance films, of which there were really 4 or 5 that truly lasted in people's minds as classics. One of those was remade without being a musical and never got its shot in the theaters (Mulan). The others will always be the focal point of the "controversy" because their animated counterparts were all legendary and their live action remakes will all have been super successful (BatB, TLK, Aladdin, and TLM). Disney won't generate a billion dollar remake ever again after TLM.

I don’t get why L&S isn’t theatrical. It’s the most popular of the 2000s animation. A remake could easily do 300m domestic and 400m overseas.

20 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I would say that TLM is the crux and apex of the live action remakes. Sure, Zegler may be a draw for Snow White, but SW doesn't scream NOSTALGIA since it was made in 1939. Nobody wants to see a shot by shot remake of it. Lilo and Stitch will be fun and games. I'd say that all the griping and moaning about remakes lives and dies with TLM and most others, especially after SW, will just float away in the wind. It always seemed to be about some of legendary movies (which are better left for D+) and the renaissance films, of which there were really 4 or 5 that truly lasted in people's minds as classics. One of those was remade without being a musical and never got its shot in the theaters (Mulan). The others will always be the focal point of the "controversy" because their animated counterparts were all legendary and their live action remakes will all have been super successful (BatB, TLK, Aladdin, and TLM). Disney won't generate a billion dollar remake ever again after TLM.

I agree, Snow White will suffer from a very botched retelling, with no prince charming and CGI creatures in place of the dwarves, plus a lack of A-listers and stars (Gal Gadot being a very weak draw). Zegler's ethnicity might also cause some uproar as it goes both against the very characteristic setting of the tale (Germany) and the name of the character itself (they will have to find a new spin to it, beacuse "skin as white as snow" won't cut it). Besides, there have been 2 big budgeted Hollywood versions of the Snow White story in the past decade, so the potential for a breakout is very low. 

However, I would say that Hercules, if done well and with an all A-listers cast certainly has the tools to surpass TLM WW.  Hercules is more of a four-quadrant story which could be liked by boys and girls alike, young and more mature. Moreover, the myths have a built-in fanbase and generate a solid interest in some Eu markets, and the Asian countries responded pretty well to The Rock's 2014 version.  It also has the structure of a superhero tale, and while that genre looks to be on a declining path, its core elements might still be popular with the GA.

Tangled and Frozen both also have the chance of  faring better than the projected 600 M WW  of TLM. Though it is tough to anticipate when and how they will be adapted; Tangled might also be a very hard one to adapt beacause of the hair special effects and the very "cartoony" element it has.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

Rewatched Hercules recently as part of a prolonged D+ marathon. It has its moments but something is definitely… off about it. For a film about ancient gods it really lacks a sense of awe and wonder. It almost reminded me of shrek, despite predating it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

They won’t touch it with a bargepole but Pocahontas would be a good one to redo precisely because you’d have to change so much from the original. A live action remake that would (gulp) threaten to be interesting on its own terms.

Well, although there are people who complaint about retelling the same story, there are other people who will complaint about the changes in the story.

I mean, people complained a lot about the changes in Mulan too (not songs, not Mushu, between others).

So, there isn't a really "certain" way to create a Disney remake.

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

My first thought is that the people most likely to defend the movie against historical criticisms are the same people that are trying to boycott Disney right now, so I find that very funny lol.

I need you to specific who are these people, because I've heard all kind of people (right wing, left wing or other) trying to boycott Disney

1 hour ago, YM! said:

I don’t get why L&S isn’t theatrical. It’s the most popular of the 2000s animation. A remake could easily do 300m domestic and 400m overseas.

Lilo and Stitch is popular but not that popular! It wasn't even the highest grossing of the WDAS film of that era. 

39 minutes ago, Kon said:

Well, although there are people who complaint about retelling the same story, there are other people who will complaint about the changes in the story.

I mean, people complained a lot about the changes in Mulan too (not songs, not Mushu, between others).

So, there isn't a really "certain" way to create a Disney remake.

Ok, but I don’t care about those people and am only speaking for myself. 😀

Wow, some critics are devious little $h!++s. They've pulled down the ratings from 73% to 67% which tells me that some of them wanted to wait until just as the movie is released to dump on it. One critic who gave it a rotten score stated that the movie was made for little girls who liked mermaids and not for him. Well, dude, maybe you should have critiqued it based on what the movie IS and not what YOU want it to be.

That's my take anyway. They have their opinions. I have my opinions about their opinions.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

Wow, some critics are devious little $h!++s. They've pulled down the ratings from 73% to 67% which tells me that some of them wanted to wait until just as the movie is released to dump on it. One critic who gave it a rotten score stated that the movie was made for little girls who liked mermaids and not for him. Well, dude, maybe you should have critiqued it based on what the movie IS and not what YOU want it to be.

That's my take anyway. They have their opinions. I have my opinions about their opinions.

coming close to Aquaman levels... seems like Jimmy C remains king of the oceans

7 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Scrape the remake,just do an accurate live actiion version of the story.

I knew this would happen.

The fanboys are  playing the 'If you did not like this film you are a racist" card.

Crap. You can not like the film for artistic reasons but condemn some of the racist response.

• Knock It Off 1